my take on the holster

stormtrooperguy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been working on budget holsters for the group of Judges in my area (8 and counting!)

A sheet of Kydex isn't that expensive, but the time that goes into hand forming them is a bit much for my tastes. My mission: Vacuum form them!

I've been doing some prototypes in white styrene because it's cheap and I have lots of it. The exact shape of the pattern isn't down 100% just yet, but I'm getting close. Here's where I'm at:

The method is basically the same as people have been doing by hand, with a couple of advantages:

• Easily reproducible with no particular skill / effort. Drop the plastic and a holster comes out.
  • Fast. The vac forming part takes about 3 minutes.
  • Cheap. Material cost for the holster shown was $7.
  • Cut lines are scribed into the form and transfer to the pulled plastic. So, you have trim lines right in your piece.

I need to refine the shape of the holster (add the curve to the top, so that it's not so square), but in general I'm pretty happy.

If we decide to wrap them in leather like the hero holsters I'll just stick to styrene over kydex... no need to use a specialty plastic when I've got a couple hundred sheets of the white stuff on hand.

Last edited:
Re: Budget holsters

really awesome! my only advice/criticism would be to round off the top edges it'll not only look much closer to the screen used but will also fit much more snugly to your lawgiver without having to add mounds of padding.

good job!

I did round off the top in a later revision. There were a few more test pulls before that point, including one done in black that I thought would be my actual use holster.

I ended up wanting to experiment with leather wrapping the holster, so my own is a white plastic base with black leather:

I didn't get perfectly accurate strapping for it... I went with the nylon/elastic I had on hand. I don't expect anyone to be looking at my inner thighs for that level of detail.

Overall, a fun experiment!

I will definitely be interested, if you do a run of these. Will it be offered as a raw styrene piece to be finished? or only a finished piece? I would prefer more of a kit, to save cost.

Mobiuscorpus - if I do them, they'll only be kit. The idea is to make something super cheap (thinking in the $20 area) that someone can finish up nice but without the fuss of having to hand form the base.

Interested in a kit for these. Probably the five other guys I'm building Judges with as well!

It does fit the pinski one, but not well. It's so tight that you can't really put a lining in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain man, just ordered 2 (1 inch) Cobras for the shoulder part of my vest.
Am thinking of getting cheapo plastic buckles for the 4 at the sides....

You can find a number of reasonable facsimile versions for the inch wide cobra on etsy.com . They are about $6 each. I bought enough for all the inch wide straps and you would have a tough time noticing the difference. You need to search "side release buckles". Mine are chrome but I painted them black with brass release levers. They are very good imitations. Quality is no where as good as cobra s . I bought one more than needed and good thing, because one blew its springs. I could have even used that. one at the vest shoulder since a little glue on it would have held it and you don't really have to operate it at the vest top strap..

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back