Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Jan 30, 2014, 12:31 PM - Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #1

Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor 'Zygon Scanner' Build.

I've gotta build me that. It looks awsome Watch this space
    Last edited by Oblivion; Feb 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Jan 30, 2014, 2:01 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #2

As long as it goes "ding".
  3. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Jan 31, 2014, 5:21 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #3

Anyone know of any detailed pictures, or the concept artwork hanging about, other than just the screen grab

Scratch building the main unit from 3mm hard plastic sheeting.

Last edited by Oblivion; Jan 31, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
    From
    Michigan
    Jan 31, 2014, 10:37 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #4

Awesome. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
  5. RPF Premium Member dropshipbob's Avatar
    Jan 31, 2014, 11:32 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #5

The "antennae" on the side looks like one of those telescoping magnet things. To big/thick to be a normal telescoping antennae like you see on old radios.
    From
    Sweden
    Jan 31, 2014, 1:32 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #6

dropshipbob said: View Post
    The "antennae" on the side looks like one of those telescoping magnet things. To big/thick to be a normal telescoping antennae like you see on old radios.
    It could be from an old walkie talkie. They are sometimes really long thus making them thicker.
  7. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Jan 31, 2014, 1:35 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #7

That's the one What's that telephone dial disc thing ?

Initial rough construction prior to filling and sanding ;

Just a very quick and rough stack up just to give me a better idea of where I'm going with this

Last edited by Oblivion; Feb 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM.
  8. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 2, 2014, 2:23 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #8

After a bit of a tweak (the section on top of the two drums is in fact oblong not diagonal as I first thought) .... from my highly detailed design sketch lol comes a very, very rough colour mock up of the main body.

Last edited by Oblivion; Feb 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
    From
    Hungary
    Feb 2, 2014, 4:09 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #9

Good luck with the build, I'm interested how it turns out (based on your adipose detector, I have no doubt it will look awsome). Next build: the timey-wimey detector from Blink?
  10. The Occupant RPF Premium Member Jintosh's Avatar
    From
    Salinas, CA
    Feb 2, 2014, 12:20 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #10

I am new here and I am amazed by the skills of all the people. I did some simple paper props for "The Lost Room" but
    absolutely nothing like what you guys do here. I like Doctor Who as well and this would be a nice addition to any collection.

(once it's done ! ) wow. I AM a newbie....gotta proof read my posts.
    Last edited by Jintosh; Feb 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM.
  11. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 4, 2014, 5:22 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #11

Really wasn't sure about this bit ?

Then walked into a toy shop yesterday and there it was
  12. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Feb 4, 2014, 1:40 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #12

But will it go ding?
  13. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 10, 2014, 1:26 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #13

More bits ....

Sanding down the body sections with fine grade wet'n'dry

Perfectly sized vac formed domes that will serve for the large cochineal lights at the centre of the paddles.

Last edited by Oblivion; Feb 10, 2014 at 3:56 AM.
  14. Member Since
    Feb 2014
    Feb 10, 2014, 4:59 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #14

by the looks of it the round piece on the front near his thumb, it looks like a toroidal transformer, check some of the electronic parts surplus sites. Hope that helps a bit. And I agree that the antenna might be from an old walkie-talkie, the square bit with the red wire going in front of it is a variable capacitor, and the square bits below the blue wires are tuning inductors from a radio.
    Feb 10, 2014, 6:20 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #15

Oblivion said: View Post
    More bits ....

http://i61.tinypic.com/15fizhj.jpg

Sanding down the body sections with fine grade wet'n'dry

http://i62.tinypic.com/2rr8eu0.jpg

Perfectly sized vac formed domes that will serve for the large cochineal lights at the centre of the paddles.

http://i58.tinypic.com/162a35w.jpghttp://i61.tinypic.com/2j3fwo5.jpg
    think ya mean cabochon you don't really want to be putting bug blood on it lol
  16. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 10, 2014, 7:53 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #16

Pobbrett said: View Post
    think ya mean cabochon you don't really want to be putting bug blood on it lol
    Yes I did, that's made me laugh Although I've stabbed myself so many times on this with the craft knife that it might as well be cochineal lol

A quick laying out of the main sections, (to roughly check against the original) before a final fine sanding and another undercoat. I'll have to replace the cabochon (not cochineal) as it's too large, and shorten the 'legs' !

Last edited by Oblivion; Feb 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM.
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Feb 10, 2014, 10:43 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #17

Just in case you're still looking for it, the ring of coils on the top right, under the red tube, looks a lot like a part found in 3.5" floppy disk drives, it's the core of the motor that rotates the disk, the top of the casing should just pull off leaving that part screwed to the framework. The ones I've found though have only had 12 coils, while this seems to have 15.
  18. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 10, 2014, 12:21 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #18

Caramellcube said: View Post
    Just in case you're still looking for it, the ring of coils on the top right, under the red tube, looks a lot like a part found in 3.5" floppy disk drives, it's the core of the motor that rotates the disk, the top of the casing should just pull off leaving that part screwed to the framework. The ones I've found though have only had 12 coils, while this seems to have 15.
    It is indeed

They are all different though it seems, finding the right one, from the right scanner is going to be near on impossible ! Scratch building it seems to be the only option here
    Last edited by Oblivion; Feb 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM.
  19. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 11, 2014, 9:56 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #19

Sanded & primed .......................................Painted with top coat.
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Feb 11, 2014, 10:31 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #20

Wow ! You are doing a really nice job, can't wait to see the final result !
  21. Member Since
    Feb 2014
    Feb 13, 2014, 7:31 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #21

This is really cool. When you are done are you going to post dimensions?
  22. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 17, 2014, 11:08 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #22

Not much of an update I'm afraid, real life has been getting in the way

23. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 17, 2014, 11:14 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #23

another86 said: View Post
    This is really cool. When you are done are you going to post dimensions?
    I will, it's pretty accurate as I've now got em from the real thing
  24. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Feb 17, 2014, 11:54 AM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #24

To my eyes, the antenna looks like one of those telescoping magnets that a mechanic uses.
  25. Oblivion is offline Oblivion
    Feb 17, 2014, 1:05 PM - Re: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build #25

Raphael Argus said: View Post
    To my eyes, the antenna looks like one of those telescoping magnets that a mechanic uses.
    It is The problem with this prop is, that as if the front wasn't bad enough the detail on the back is even worse !