Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor Zygon Scanner Build

Oblivion

Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor 'Zygon Scanner' Build.

b7zx2t.jpg

I've gotta build me that. It looks awsome :) Watch this space ;)

Last edited:
Anyone know of any detailed pictures, or the concept artwork hanging about, other than just the screen grab :)

Scratch building the main unit from 3mm hard plastic sheeting.

15wklxx.jpg

Last edited:
The "antennae" on the side looks like one of those telescoping magnet things. To big/thick to be a normal telescoping antennae like you see on old radios.

The "antennae" on the side looks like one of those telescoping magnet things. To big/thick to be a normal telescoping antennae like you see on old radios.

It could be from an old walkie talkie. They are sometimes really long thus making them thicker.
Realistic%203%20channel%20CB%20Walkie%20Talkie%20TRC-75_JPG.jpg

That's the one :) What's that telephone dial disc thing ?

Initial rough construction prior to filling and sanding ;

1zh2luu.jpg

10ydzrr.jpg

Just a very quick and rough stack up just to give me a better idea of where I'm going with this :)

307pv9g.jpg

Last edited:
After a bit of a tweak (the section on top of the two drums is in fact oblong not diagonal as I first thought) .... from my highly detailed design sketch lol comes a very, very rough colour mock up of the main body.

532v0y.jpg
2r433if.jpg
2qchtax.jpg
11j3r09.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with the build, I'm interested how it turns out (based on your adipose detector, I have no doubt it will look awsome). Next build: the timey-wimey detector from Blink?

I am new here and I am amazed by the skills of all the people. I did some simple paper props for "The Lost Room" but
absolutely nothing like what you guys do here. I like Doctor Who as well and this would be a nice addition to any collection.

(once it's done ! ) wow. I AM a newbie....gotta proof read my posts.

Last edited:
More bits ....

15fizhj.jpg

Sanding down the body sections with fine grade wet'n'dry

2rr8eu0.jpg

Perfectly sized vac formed domes that will serve for the large cochineal lights at the centre of the paddles.

162a35w.jpg
2j3fwo5.jpg

Last edited:
by the looks of it the round piece on the front near his thumb, it looks like a toroidal transformer, check some of the electronic parts surplus sites. Hope that helps a bit. And I agree that the antenna might be from an old walkie-talkie, the square bit with the red wire going in front of it is a variable capacitor, and the square bits below the blue wires are tuning inductors from a radio.

think ya mean cabochon you don't really want to be putting bug blood on it lol ;)

Yes I did, that's made me laugh :) Although I've stabbed myself so many times on this with the craft knife that it might as well be cochineal lol

A quick laying out of the main sections, (to roughly check against the original) before a final fine sanding and another undercoat. I'll have to replace the cabochon (not cochineal) as it's too large, and shorten the 'legs' !

2eyuxqh.jpg
vyuxxf.jpg

Last edited:
Just in case you're still looking for it, the ring of coils on the top right, under the red tube, looks a lot like a part found in 3.5" floppy disk drives, it's the core of the motor that rotates the disk, the top of the casing should just pull off leaving that part screwed to the framework. The ones I've found though have only had 12 coils, while this seems to have 15.

Just in case you're still looking for it, the ring of coils on the top right, under the red tube, looks a lot like a part found in 3.5" floppy disk drives, it's the core of the motor that rotates the disk, the top of the casing should just pull off leaving that part screwed to the framework. The ones I've found though have only had 12 coils, while this seems to have 15.

It is indeed :)

2hp1vn9.jpg

They are all different though it seems, finding the right one, from the right scanner is going to be near on impossible ! Scratch building it seems to be the only option here :(

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back