big scale armor fans look inside

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
this is my verlinden 1/16th tiger 1 late version, i started building this about ten years ago over a couple of year period, i just cant believe i spent so long on this kit, probably hundreds of hours and thats no joke. this is the sort of thing i did before moving into props, i have thought of selling it but it would break my heart after all the time i spent on it........sorry for my now familiar shoddy pics :D
tank7.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank5.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank6.jpg

tank4.jpg

Looks great zorg IÂ’ve build many armor models over the years myself.
Armor modeling got me started in kit building.
Verlinden makes some great custom accessories for the modeler.

Bye for now
Al

Originally posted by zorg@Jan 1 2006, 02:07 PM
this is my verlinden 1/16th tiger 1 late version, i started building this about ten years ago over a couple of year period, i just cant believe i spent so long on this kit, probably hundreds of hours and thats no joke. this is the sort of thing i did before moving into props, i have thought of selling it but it would break my heart after all the time i spent on it........sorry for my now familiar shoddy pics :D

[snapback]1148160[/snapback]​

.....very nice Zorg...nice Zimmerit job........and I know what you mean. I've been trying to get to weathering my Tamiya 1:16 RC Tiger 1 for months now....

....it never ends. :p

man the tiger 1 is my all time favorite tank..I've never built any larger tha 1:35th ...man I'd love to try one of those larger ones.

Although I am partial to the rubber road wheels instead of the all steel ones ;)

This site has a pretty awesome write up on a real Tiger Restoration..vvery interesting.
Tiger Tank Restoration

no its static with resin fixed tracks, i wouldn't trust this rolling around the garden all my hard work would fall off :cry

z

Second that.. The Tiger I has always been my favorite tank, and I've been jonesin' for either the Tamiya 1/16th Radio Controlled or Static model.

Excellent work Chris.

zorg - That Tiger Tank looks totally awesome. :thumbsup

You've just taken me back to my youth, when my father and I built 1:35 scale
military figures, tanks, cannons, and armor together. War items specifically.

Tiger 1 Tank
Tiger 2 Tank (King Tiger)
Panzer Tank
Panther Tank (I think)
Jagdpanzer Tank
Sherman Tank
Halftracks
all the support troops as well

many more, but those were just off the top of my head.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

JS

Originally posted by Pauleysolo@Jan 4 2006, 01:11 AM
Is that radio controlled?
[snapback]1150150[/snapback]​

....mine is. :D .....once I get it weathered, I'll invade my neighbour's yard. The Tamiya RC 1:16 armor line is fantastic....and a pretty easy build considering how many parts there are. The tanks has all functions including turret rotation & gun elevation control as well as all of the engine/gun sounds....a very cool toy.

I'll try to put together a quick mpeg of it in action and post it.....

Can you imagine showing up in this...

Sherman_Side.jpg

to fight this?...

ussr-foreign-tiger.jpg

Lots of Americans were sacrificed in those little Shermans. I have heard 4-to-1 ratio to kill Tigers for the war, but at Normandy, and the retreat of the German Army out of France, the ratio was as high as 10 Shermans killed by 1 Tiger before they could take the Tigers out with a flank shot to the treads or fuel tanks.

....once the Firefly came out with the 76mm gun, it was a bit more of a threat to the Tiger....

Sherman_Firefly-2.jpg

....but the Tiger still outclassed it with its 88mm cannon and thicker armor.....

just as well the nazis couldn't produce their weapons on mass or we would have been up "that" creek without a shovel

as much as i like the tigers i'm glad they had their weaknesses.

and a hats off to the guys who fought against these tanks :thumbsup

i have a collection of 1/16th tanks

this tiger 1
2 tiger II with henchel turret
1 tiger II with porsche turret
1 flakpanzer gepard which is brand new and i got cheap on ebay because the guy misspelled the auction title :D
1 leopard a4 which i am converting to an up-armored canadian version

and i sold a sherman recently

i got into tanks because i just didnt like model glass, such as car windsheilds and aircraft canopies,they never look right to me :unsure

thanks for your comments guys they are appreciated :love

Beautiful Tiger Zorg. I'm a big fan of German armour. They really had superior armor. Nice zimmerit and weathering. Im working on 2 early production Tigers right now. A 1/48 Tamiya and 1/35 Dragon. Did you super detail the interior too? I've never seen the Verlinden kit.
Cheers, Kevin

Very nice build-up. The time you put in really shows.

Funny you should finish this now...this month's issue of Tamiya Model Magazine has an article on the that model. What a coinky-dink.

Sean

thanks guys, i had all the hatches open at one time and a full verlinden crew, i closed it all up as it was a bitch to dust. the interior has no detail.

if i could choose a tiger 1 again it would not be the verlinden tank, it really needed a lot of work to correct, at the time of purchase it was the worlds largest resin model (not anymore lol)

i didnt know tmm had this model on the cover, i stopped my subscription about 3 or 4 months ago after about 15 to 20 years :( i just dont do this stuff anymore so thought whats the point?

z

Originally posted by zorg@Jan 7 2006, 04:36 AM
thanks guys, i had all the hatches open at one time and a full verlinden crew, i closed it all up as it was a bitch to dust. the interior has no detail.

if i could choose a tiger 1 again it would not be the verlinden tank, it really needed a lot of work to correct, at the time of purchase it was the worlds largest resin model (not anymore lol)

i didnt know tmm had this model on the cover, i stopped my subscription about 3 or 4 months ago after about 15 to 20 years :(  i just dont do this stuff anymore so thought whats the point?

z
[snapback]1152998[/snapback]​

Hey Zorg...was the zimmerit molded into the hull/turret or did you apply it yourself? If not, what did you use....(i.e. putty and a comb, etc?). I'd like to apply a zimmerit job to my Tamiya RC Tiger.....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back