Small Soldiers Brick Bazooka replica for my son

Having fun with Chip now... Bought a pressure chamber, compressor and the rest of the parts will follow shortly... then it will finally be bubblefree casting time ;-)

Chip right side.jpgChip front.jpgChip close front.jpg

So before I get all the parts for the pressure chamber, I played around a bit with joint solutions... LEGO bionicle joints seem a perfect fit. Don't know yet whether I shall put sawn of joints into the finished resin castings or whether I should make new clay masters with the bionicle joints already in and then cast resin parts that already include the joints... Probably the latter since I don't want to kill all the boys' toys...
I started painting the first resin parts (first primed them). It's my first paint job EVER, so you're allowed to laugh out loud ;-) The air bubbles suck, need DESPERATELY that pressure chamber!!!!! Updates will follow soon...
Shoulder joint solution.jpgHip joint solution.jpgArms primed.jpgFirst paint job.jpg

So before I get all the parts for the pressure chamber, I played around a bit with joint solutions... LEGO bionicle joints seem a perfect fit. Don't know yet whether I shall put sawn of joints into the finished resin castings or whether I should make new clay masters with the bionicle joints already in and then cast resin parts that already include the joints... Probably the latter since I don't want to kill all the boys' toys...
I started painting the first resin parts (first primed them). It's my first paint job EVER, so you're allowed to laugh out loud ;-) The air bubbles suck, need DESPERATELY that pressure chamber!!!!! Updates will follow soon...
View attachment 587814View attachment 587813View attachment 587811View attachment 587812
awesome solution with the joints, I would just make molds of the joints and then add those duplicates to the finished casting. That way you don't use all the toys and no need to remold all the figures parts over again. I cannot wait for the next update :)

Arms colored... How to you provide the color from chipping off? Especially at the hinges?
View attachment 587863
tr only sure fire way to prevent that issue would be to tint the resin to match the skin tone. Other than that all I can think of is a heavy duty sealer, but even that will ultimately wear away as well, just like the actual toys. I'll try and look into it.

With my pressure chamber finally fully working, there are no more bubbles! But a lot of "pimples, since all bubbles in the silicone molds broke open... arrrgghh... Will have to make a completely new master from chavant clay and then new silicone molds in the pressure chamber. I have used rubber ribbons to hold the joints together, but will change now to LEGO bionics joints in the clay master so that I can cast the joints within the parts already... we will see. Painting only one layer, no camouflage, tattoo, buttons etc. yet. The leg knife will be molded separately as well just like the leather straps to hold the shurikans and the sword on the back... long journey, woohaa...

Attachments

• Kip rough painted.jpg
    Kip rough painted.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 411
  • Kip head and chest bubblefree.jpg
    Kip head and chest bubblefree.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
With my pressure chamber finally fully working, there are no more bubbles! But a lot of "pimples, since all bubbles in the silicone molds broke open... arrrgghh... Will have to make a completely new master from chavant clay and then new silicone molds in the pressure chamber. I have used rubber ribbons to hold the joints together, but will change now to LEGO bionics joints in the clay master so that I can cast the joints within the parts already... we will see. Painting only one layer, no camouflage, tattoo, buttons etc. yet. The leg knife will be molded separately as well just like the leather straps to hold the shurikans and the sword on the back... long journey, woohaa...

View attachment 602907View attachment 602908

Man I feel you, but the end results will be worth it. I'm trying to view the attached files but it says invalid. I'd like to know what your intentions are with the old molds. Be sure to de-gas the silicone for the new molds. As usual I'm looking forward to seeing your progress

Now I can see them, awesome! In the meantime I'm back to work on the boxes. I'm pretty sure I've got the dimensions correct, now I just have to work on the front and back character art image.jpegimage.jpeg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back