Small Soldiers Brick Bazooka replica for my son

Small_Soldiers_Chainsaw_Vehicle_w_Nick_Nitro_8.JPG Small_Soldiers_Chainsaw_Vehicle_w_Nick_Nitro_7.JPG

Wow!! have you seen how much the Japanese book is now? :-o I was Lucky with my one as I got the one with 70% off so mine was under £50 and I thought that was a leap to take for a book but wow with the price now anyway well worth what I payed :).

Wow!! have you seen how much the Japanese book is now? :-o I was Lucky with my one as I got the one with 70% off so mine was under £50 and I thought that was a leap to take for a book but wow with the price now anyway well worth what I payed :).
Same here! What's on the CD now? You must have opened it in the meantime, right? :)

I still haven't looked on the cd as I don't have a computer to play it I only have internet on my phone there's some pictures in the book of how to use the cd and I think you can use screen savers off of it and there's some images of the characters but it looks blurry in the book and I can't read Japanese so I'm not to sure what's on it I need to use someones computer to view it.

Definitely glad I bought the book when I did before it more than doubled in price!

Don't know if you've seen any of my other threads Desponds, but I've painted up a lot of stuff. I don't have an airbrush so everything is done with paintbrushes (and sometimes fingertips!). I've got the basic skin colour down on my Brick heads (original and one resin cast) but need to get some more brushes to do the fine details (hair, eyes, teeth, lips - noticed that Brick's got no eyebrows!) - I moved house and remembered to pick up my paints from my parents (where everything is stored) but forgot to pick up my brushes. Will put up photos when they've had a bit more done on them.

Oh, and one thing I meant to mention earlier - when you take photos of the heads, it's a good idea to take them from about 2-3metres away, zoomed in, rather than with the camera close up to them (as this distorts the image). You'll notice that the sides of Brick's head look a little weird in your photos and I'm thinking its from the camera distortion rather than your sculpt.

Woohoo, no pressure there, right :)

I will make some new pics soon and then we will see whether I sculpted in a weird way or whether it was because of the camera. Reworked the heads a little bit last night. Have some trouble with Nick Nitro's head at the moment regarding eyes and teeths... Nick has really small eyes, and the sculpey needs to be perfectly placed or else the eye balls are not visible from the side anymore due to the eyelids...

Maybe I need to sculpt the teets in sculpey too... Don Lanning's tutorial regarding sculpture techniques convinced me to first sculpt the gums and later put in the teets, be it in clay or in sculpey... with the other commandos, there are no gums visible, but Nick's mouth has tons of them :)

Definitely glad I bought the book when I did before it more than doubled in price!

Don't know if you've seen any of my other threads Desponds, but I've painted up a lot of stuff. I don't have an airbrush so everything is done with paintbrushes (and sometimes fingertips!). I've got the basic skin colour down on my Brick heads (original and one resin cast) but need to get some more brushes to do the fine details (hair, eyes, teeth, lips - noticed that Brick's got no eyebrows!) - I moved house and remembered to pick up my paints from my parents (where everything is stored) but forgot to pick up my brushes. Will put up photos when they've had a bit more done on them.

Oh, and one thing I meant to mention earlier - when you take photos of the heads, it's a good idea to take them from about 2-3metres away, zoomed in, rather than with the camera close up to them (as this distorts the image). You'll notice that the sides of Brick's head look a little weird in your photos and I'm thinking its from the camera distortion rather than your sculpt.

OK, finally got my Brick Bazooka head(s) painted. Don't want to flood your thread with pics, but I think a few are needed for size reference as well as paintjob.

Stellar Gifts Chip compared with Hasbro Chip. As you can see, although they are both 12" figures, there are a lot of size differences:
ChipComparison2-1.jpg

Stellar Gifts Chip compared to Hasbro Chip (head size comparison):
ChipComparison1.jpg

Brick's head compared to Hasbro Chip's head:
ChipandBrick1-1.jpg

Brick's head compared to Stellar Gifts Chip's head:
ChipandBrick2.jpg

Comparison-2.jpg

Brick Bazooka painted heads turn around (one is the plastic original I painted, the other is a resin cast):
BrickTurnAround7-1.jpg

BrickTurnAround6.jpg

BrickTurnAround5.jpg

BrickTurnAround4.jpg

BrickTurnAround3.jpg

BrickTurnAround2.jpg

This is very, very cool and thoroughly helpful!

Congratulations on the paintjob, that looks spot on! Don't worry about "flooding" my thread :) I like the fact that you have used different fleshtones in order to show the cavities better (it looks that way at least)! Love the hair color as well. This weekend, I'll make some comparisons with my Brick head, since yours looks pretty near to the screen used ones regarding general expression and cavities! Thank you so much for these pics! The comparison with the Chip heads is also very interesting. It seems that my heads are a tad too small until now... I'll fix that :)

OK, finally got my Brick Bazooka head(s) painted. Don't want to flood your thread with pics, but I think a few are needed for size reference as well as paintjob.

Stellar Gifts Chip compared with Hasbro Chip. As you can see, although they are both 12" figures, there are a lot of size differences:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/ChipComparison2-1.jpg

Stellar Gifts Chip compared to Hasbro Chip (head size comparison):
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/ChipComparison1.jpg

Brick's head compared to Hasbro Chip's head:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/ChipandBrick1-1.jpg

Brick's head compared to Stellar Gifts Chip's head:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/ChipandBrick2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/Comparison-2.jpg

Brick Bazooka painted heads turn around (one is the plastic original I painted, the other is a resin cast):
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/BrickTurnAround7-1.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/BrickTurnAround6.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/BrickTurnAround5.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/BrickTurnAround4.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/BrickTurnAround3.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/BrickTurnAround2.jpg

Das ist mein zweiter versuch. Tut mir lrid ich spreche schlecht englisch View attachment 285875
View attachment 285876

Hey there! Welcome to the forum!

Did you change one of the Hasbro Chips? What exactly did you change regarding the arms? Did you make the lower arm longer or change the joint?

And in German (hope translations are allowed in order to help him make his statements... I can retranslate what he writes as well if that's ok...)

Hallo und willkommen auf dem Forum!

Hast Du einen der Hasbro Chips genommen für die Replica? Was genau hast Du beim Arm geändert? Den Unterarm verlängert oder das Gelenk geändert?

Hello and thank you for your interresse. I translate my German to English on the internet , sorry.
I have changed the poor the joint. I have made the joint wider , I'll show it to you with a few photos. Yes , I have the 12 " hasbro chip hazard taken. The head I have also changed.
20140214_130305.jpg20140214_130305.jpg20140214_132443.jpg20140214_132443.jpg

Looks really good kingk. What did you do to change Chip's head?

Really excited to see further updates Desponds. I'm particularly looking forward to Butch as there are so few representations of him out there (no Hasbro figure?!) - will you be sculpting his helmet or using a ready made 1:6 one?

No, there was no Hasbro figure of him. He and Link were never made (only with the Burger King stuff, but that is not really my favored reference. As you can see by the photos enclosed, I have started with Butch's helmet. I have further worked on Butch's face, but his cheek needs one more "cut" in the back... It's visible in certain photos, but I need that book from Japan... it has unfortunately not arrived yet which is why I'm still fighting with the mouth area of Kip, who's face I have also updated. Finally, here are some pics of Nick's roughed in face. The teeth area will, as already mentioned, be very difficult since his gums are showing as well... In case you or saintmdn could provide me with some shots from the Japanese book, I would highly appreciate this since I'm running out of good reference material...

Looks really good kingk. What did you do to change Chip's head?

Really excited to see further updates Desponds. I'm particularly looking forward to Butch as there are so few representations of him out there (no Hasbro figure?!) - will you be sculpting his helmet or using a ready made 1:6 one?

Attachments

• Butch helmet front.jpg
    Butch helmet front.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Nick left.jpg
    Nick left.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Nick front.jpg
    Nick front.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Kip right new.jpg
    Kip right new.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Kip left new.jpg
    Kip left new.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Kip front new.jpg
    Kip front new.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Butch helmet right.jpg
    Butch helmet right.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Butch helmet left.jpg
    Butch helmet left.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Butch helmet half left front.jpg
    Butch helmet half left front.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 244
  • Nick right.jpg
    Nick right.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 185
Looking good. From what you've posted I'd say that Butch's left side (right side as you look at him) of his lower jaw (outside edge) needs tweaked to better match the opposite side. Kip's cheeks look too sunken with the vertical muscles either side of his mouth therefore too defined. Nick's head is too thin -below his ears his whole bottom jar needs to be wider (and edges of his mouth should be past the outside edges of his eyes). Page 9 of The Small Soldiers Movie Scrapbook has some decent pics of Kip and Butch.

Also, have you seen the YouTube video of the hero Butch Meathook? There's a good still of his head at 1:05 that I've not seen before.

There's also a decent video of Propstore's Kip Killigan. (On my wife's Mac so I don't know how to copy and paste the links. Doh!)

My Japanese book hasn't arrived yet, otherwise I'd post ref from that for you.

Thank you very much for your inputs! This is very helpful! I have received the book today, yiihaa! There are some very good shots inside, especially from the computer animated characters, i.e. you can clearly see the back of the legs and especially the back itself from Brick and Nick!!! I also found out how they made the foot joints, its the same way they made the joint for the terminator hand work... I'll post something about this in saintmdn's thread soon in order to support his build in case he doesn't have a solution yet for the feet...

I have the videos from the two commandos, and I have made some stills from them, especially Kip...

I have had a telephone call with smooth on today regarding the right resin to use. I've written it down, its about USD 60 a kilo. There is also a resin that is about USD 20 a kilo, but they said that after a few years, it starts to crack, whereas the expensive one can hold a lifetime. Clear decision, I would say... I'll go for the USD 60 one. The figures won't whey a kilo, so the material should not be an issue. Main thing is those cuties hold a lifetime, like their lithium cells and chips :)

Looking good. From what you've posted I'd say that Butch's left side (right side as you look at him) of his lower jaw (outside edge) needs tweaked to better match the opposite side. Kip's cheeks look too sunken with the vertical muscles either side of his mouth therefore too defined. Nick's head is too thin -below his ears his whole bottom jar needs to be wider (and edges of his mouth should be past the outside edges of his eyes). Page 9 of The Small Soldiers Movie Scrapbook has some decent pics of Kip and Butch.

Also, have you seen the YouTube video of the hero Butch Meathook? There's a good still of his head at 1:05 that I've not seen before.

There's also a decent video of Propstore's Kip Killigan. (On my wife's Mac so I don't know how to copy and paste the links. Doh!)

My Japanese book hasn't arrived yet, otherwise I'd post ref from that for you.

Of course, I should have said Nick's jaW needs widened, not his mar. doh!

Looking forward to getting my hands on the Japanese book. Have you had a look at the CD yet? Still want to know what's on there....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back