Things you're tired of seeing in movies

When sets, usually detective or medical dramas, are dressed with dark and/or funky colored lighting. Star Trek (OS) got it right... all other shows need to stop it right now! ;)

And

There is that one lone actor who goes home to his small apartment in the big city overlooking the elevated train. He opens a bottle of whiskey, tosses the cap on the counter, pours himself a glass, usually followed by wiping his forehead, and then lays down on the couch. He closes his eyes and listens to the sounds of the city roll by as the bright red neon sign fills the room.

Last edited:
Go on then, name them. ;) The ones with Drew don't count cos she's the reason to watch those.
Oops, my mistake. I was referring to Nicolas Cage, not Adam Sandler. Now that I know we're talking about Sandler, I'm not a fan so I haven't seen most of his movies, but I thought Airheads was okay (despite Sandler, not because of him) and liked 50 First Dates, but that would include Miss Barrymore so it doesn't count. So, yeah, down to one movie on the Sandler count, and it's not even an "Adam Sandler" movie 'cause he's not the star. :rolleyes

The thing about comedians like Jim Carrey, Will Farrell, and Adam Sandler is that they all rely on a schtick which, at first, is pretty funny and entertaining, but after a while their schtick gets old and it becomes the same old thing in every movie they're in. Smart comedians realize that they can only be funny for so long before people, outside of their die hard fans, no longer find them funny and start doing drama ala Robin Williams, Tom Hanks, and (to a lesser degree) Eddie Murphy. But I think that schtick based comedians have a harder time transitioning because they either move too fast and jump straight into a really serious drama for their next project or they're too associated with their comedic roles and audiences have a hard time accepting them in anything but a comedic role.

People standing in an elevator that is traveling down so fast they should be in free fall or even pinned to the ceiling.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Ah..OK. Well then. Yeah...Airheads? I enjoyed punch-drunk love when I saw it ages ago...

I hated Punch Drunk Love, and I normally like watching movies where well known actors are cast against type. In this case I thought that it was just boring and I was actually wanting to see sill/funny Adam Sandler.

Whenever there is a timer attached to a bomb and the camera shows the timer winding down from 10 sec... I always count backwards. By the time the bomb actually explodes, I've mowed the fence, cleaned the dirt, run over some errands, painted the backyard and accomplished a few other nonsensical things that I can't think of right now...

Whenever there is a timer attached to a bomb and the camera shows the timer winding down from 10 sec... I always count backwards. By the time the bomb actually explodes, I've mowed the fence, cleaned the dirt, run over some errands, painted the backyard and accomplished a few other nonsensical things that I can't think of right now...

I think that a lot of the time it's because the show is not running in real time and a lot of the scenes that we see before the bomb explodes or counts down significantly are actually happening simultaneously.

I do that quite often myself. Even when it's supposed to be "real time" and they aren't cutting away to show what's happening simultaneously (as Riceball mentioned), they rarely seem to get it right.

Similarly, when someone in a movie has to swim under water for a ridiculous distance or amount of time, does anyone else hold their breath to see if it's possible? Now, I know some people can train themselves to hold their breath longer than most. For example, Ricou Browning, who was a professional swimmer and diver and performed all of the underwater scenes for Universal's Creature From the Black Lagoon trilogy, could hold his breath for four minutes while he was swimming around in the Creature suit. I couldn't do that while I was sitting perfectly still if my life depended on it. But I've seen movies in which a character is under water for two or three minutes, and when they surface they're barely out of breath. :behave

Characters completing other people's sentences - especially when they're offscreen making an entrance with that line.

Or characters who have to have the "last word" before exiting a room and, of course, it has to be some "mike drop" line. Have you ever met someone who tried pulling this off in real life? It comes across as soooooo stupid and smug IRL.

Yeah, the completing sentences thing! Especially when the first person doesn't perform it properly, and says it in a way that reveals they know they're setting up the other person, instead of being interrupted by them.

A police thriller where over the course of a day there's a foot chase, car chase, subject apprehended, a reprimand from the chief, an interrogation, sidearms deployed, at least one shootout ...

... yet not one page of paperwork.

Characters completing other people's sentences - especially when they're offscreen making an entrance with that line.

The best ones are when the other person completing the sentence opens a HUGE door making their way into a grand room just before openning their mouth... Those most be really thin walls! ;)

Or a character starts a sentence, there is an edit with a time jump, and they enter a room, and the character finishes the sentence! Did you really just have a five minute dramatic pause in conversation?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back