Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade... Marcus...

I hate when sequels turn what start out as awesome characters in the first film into bumbling idiots! Marcus was calm, cool and very knowledgeable and could have been a older style of Indy in Raiders. But he was made to be a fool in the Last Crusade. I hated the part where they cut to Marcus stumbling through the market place and he was totally lost.

I hate when sequels turn what start out as awesome characters in the first film into bumbling idiots! Marcus was calm, cool and very knowledgeable and could have been a older style of Indy in Raiders. But he was made to be a fool in the Last Crusade. I hated the part where they cut to Marcus stumbling through the market place and he was totally lost.
I just rewatched the other day, and I think that scene does the most damage in that respect. If that scene were different, the rest of his "bumbling" reactions in other scenes wouldn't seem as damning. It would indeed be tempting to do that comedy cut after Indy said how awesome he was, but... what if he really was awesome?

At least the scene after the boat chase where they're going through the diary, he seems competent.

Here's one that got me after watching Infinity Wars, that's Hollywood portraying the forging of metal/steel weapons by casting molten metal into a mold. That's not how metal weapons are made, not back when they when they were still weapons of war and not now, except for maybe some cheap wall hangers. Swords, spear and axe heads, etc. were made by forging which meant heating a metal bar up to a high temperature and repeatedly hammering it into shape while reheating when it starts to cool. Casting would make for a weak sword or weapon head and would almost certainly break with serious use. Even to this day if we want a high strength metal component (like for gun parts) we will either forge it or machine it.

The one that got me from the beginning of Infinity wars: I'm very tired of the trope of the Super Hero whose girlfriend is intent on trying to make him stop being a super hero.

Pepper was especially galling to me when she was harping on Tony still having tech on him....like we've actually seen people use more military resources to try to kill her than the US used to kill Bin Laden and that was just to get to Tony, but apparently he's a heel for being armed when they are out going for a walk. But this is not only NOT new, but it's been done to death, then past it, then they beat the dead horse, then beat the dead guy who used to be beating the dead horse, then beat the dead guy who beat the other dead guy who used to beat the horse, that is also, still dead. It's time for super hero girlfriends to be something other than a total buzzkill.

The latter end of 40, unshaven, harder than titanium, operator who will outperform a dozen 20-something experienced soldiers, never had a broken bone or major injury, except for that rare form of horrible trauma that made him even more efficient and capable than ever before and who has the ability to make everybody with an officer badge lose fifty IQ points by simply walking into the room.

Any situation he happens to walk into becomes a task primordial to the survival of the US, Western Civilisation or even the entire world and comes equipped with a handheld radio with unlimited range and battery life that can magically summon anything from an observation drone to the entire US bomber fleet to take out a target. He's the guy with the designer glasses and a Hard-Rock Cafe T-shirt from an exotic location under his body armour in a sea of camo uniforms.

When things go wrong, he automatically assumes command, telling 17-year old baby-faced Captains what to do and earn their undying admiration. And when a four-star General chews him out, he'll grimly remind the general that he single-handedly saved an entire brigade of Marines, while the obviously incompetent general was too busy sucking up to the President which always happens to be the wrong guy from the wrong party ...

No matter where you dump him, he knows the local lingo and customs and can blend in by doing absolutely nothing, except when terrorists are nearby who instantly pick him, and is often the last mistake they make.

Doesn't matter how many people he tortures, stabs or shoots, it's always for the greater good. He as a special ability that allows him to bond with locals in such a way that terrorists, insurgents or government troops will murder them within the week, adding more trauma that raises his skills so much it makes a bloodlusted Super-Sayan look like a Quaker in a deep coma.

He has a patronizing respect for ordinary grunts who admire him, short of pure homoerotic love, which doesn't exist in his universe and officers hate him for being a rugged individual who doesn't answer to nobody but the right thing and is never wrong, never makes mistakes ...

... But this is not only NOT new, but it's been done to death, then past it, then they beat the dead horse, then beat the dead guy who used to be beating the dead horse, then beat the dead guy who beat the other dead guy who used to beat the horse, that is also, still dead. It's time for super hero girlfriends to be something other than a total buzzkill.

You forgot to drag his body through the streets and put his head on a spike! ;)

What's the average range of your basic machine gun? I'm tired of somebody using a machine gun to shoot at someone 20 feet away and all the bullets are hitting the ground right in front of the intended. Aim up people!!

That has bugged me ever since I was a child. They always show bullets near-missing people by hitting the ground at their feet. Rarely is there any coordination with the shooter's location and where the near-miss shots would actually be hitting.

I'm sure the ground hits are sometimes done just because the shot doesn't lend itself to anything more realistic. If the background objects aren't in just the right places and distances from the actor then it won't favor the shot. Too far away and you cannot see it in the frame (and it doesn't visually convey the danger as well). But if things are too close then it starts endangering actors even with fake hits. A burst of debris is safer down at the actor's feet than beside their head or torso.

I'm sure this has been said many times already (maybe even by me), but characters that don't get tired. I get adrenaline rushes and all that, but people should be falling and doing silly, clumsy things in the heat of battle. It's funny that this really struck me during the Clone Wars episode where Ahsoka was on the run; I mean, she covered a LOT of territory, jumping as well. I mean, Jedi powers or not, sheesh!

Any blast that'll pick up a person and toss them many feet away (usually into a wall) and the person has no shrapnel or internal injuries once their buddies catch up to them. In real life, they'd look like a colander, with internal organs the consistency of chewed-up Jello, solid black eyes from the hemorrhages, permanently deafened (not that underwater sound that slowly gets better you hear in movies since Saving Private Ryan, either) are never seen on someone after this in the movies.
I was exposed to a lot of concussive force in my lifetime but thankfully nothing that ever threw me anywhere. But I've also seen after-effects of that which would toss you around. You'd be in no shape to even stand up after that.
What's the average range of your basic machine gun? I'm tired of somebody using a machine gun to shoot at someone 20 feet away and all the bullets are hitting the ground right in front of the intended. Aim up people!!
Yeah, those bullets would be hitting well behind the person, even as misses.
How about airplanes strafing a target? NO airplane ever shoots in two perfectly straight lines! Watch any gun camera film from WW2. You'll see the bullet strikes basically all over the place in a circular area, as the pilots gyrates the nose around a fixed aiming point and fires the guns to try to fit whatever it is. That path might move to a totally different area during this correction, but it'll be in an arc, not a line.

Characters (usually cops) who are wounded in the line of duty, spend possibly an hour in a hospital bed having been patched up, only to sling on the gun belt and return straight back to duty. ,
"Rest up McDougal. You're off the case."
(Chief leaves, McDougal disconnects IV and leaves hospital....)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back