Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Speaking of wounds, don't you just love how everytime somebody gets stabbed or shot in the gut they'll, at some point, inevitably lift up their shirt to show the audience the wound. It's always done the same way too, they carefully lift or roll their shirt up to just above their shirt, look down at the wound and wince or hiss, sometimes both. While I've never been gut shot or stabbed in the gut I don't think that I'd want to lift up shirt to take a look at it, for one, I'll probably be in too much pain to even think about it, and add to that I'm not exactly all that fond at the sight of blood, especially when it's my own.

Speaking of wounds, don't you just love how everytime somebody gets stabbed or shot in the gut they'll, at some point, inevitably lift up their shirt to show the audience the wound. It's always done the same way too, they carefully lift or roll their shirt up to just above their shirt, look down at the wound and wince or hiss, sometimes both. While I've never been gut shot or stabbed in the gut I don't think that I'd want to lift up shirt to take a look at it, for one, I'll probably be in too much pain to even think about it, and add to that I'm not exactly all that fond at the sight of blood, especially when it's my own.

This could generate it's own sub-thread: Have you noticed the tendency for heroes to have their wounds bandaged, over their dirty jeans. Nothing about sterile bandaging, lets show a roughly tied hankie to stem the flow of a severe arterial bleed! :)

This could generate it's own sub-thread: Have you noticed the tendency for heroes to have their wounds bandaged, over their dirty jeans. Nothing about sterile bandaging, lets show a roughly tied hankie to stem the flow of a severe arterial bleed! :)

On a similar note, I've noticed that in Hollywood people (esp. heroes) reguarly surviv wounds that would kill a normal person while other characters (esp. the nameless, faceless goons) will die just about anywhere And also, armor never seems to work for bad guys either, whether it's mail, plate, modern ballistic body armor, the good guys' weapon will cut through it with no problem, like it wasn't even there. But how many times do we see the good guys get shot only to get back up and show us the flattened bullet lodged on the surface of their body armor and sometimes this occurs with the main, big bad villain too.

And how do bionic limbs work? They always seem to imbue the character with superhuman strength even though the bionic appendage is grafted to their regular shoulder or elbow or whatever. How can they suddenly pick up a car or throw people twice their size around the room?

Also on bionic limbs (cyborg ones anyway), when they are covered in skin they are totally indistinguishable as robotic. As soon as the skin comes off, which it always does, all you can hear are the super loud servo motors whirring away. Surely with the skin on, someone nearby would be hearing a strange hum.

I just saw two things in less than five minutes on "The Hitman: Agent 47". First, somebody grabs the slide on a semi-auto hand gun and pulls it right off with no effort. Those things are design to not come off that easily so people don't get hurt. To remove a slide you have move the slide to a specific location and remove a pin or turn a lever.

The second one is after a shootout one of the bad guys was still alive and was about to shoot a woman. Instead of shooting the bad guy, the hit man jumped in the way.

I just saw two things in less than five minutes on "The Hitman: Agent 47". First, somebody grabs the slide on a semi-auto hand gun and pulls it right off with no effort. Those things are design to not come off that easily so people don't get hurt. To remove a slide you have move the slide to a specific location and remove a pin or turn a lever.

The second one is after a shootout one of the bad guys was still alive and was about to shoot a woman. Instead of shooting the bad guy, the hit man jumped in the way.

You can actually do this with a Beretta 92/M9 it takes a bit of practice to do it quickly and smoothly but its design does permit this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also on bionic limbs (cyborg ones anyway), when they are covered in skin they are totally indistinguishable as robotic. As soon as the skin comes off, which it always does, all you can hear are the super loud servo motors whirring away. Surely with the skin on, someone nearby would be hearing a strange hum.
That's because synthetic skin has tremendous sound-deadening properties. :lol

And how do bionic limbs work? They always seem to imbue the character with superhuman strength even though the bionic appendage is grafted to their regular shoulder or elbow or whatever. How can they suddenly pick up a car or throw people twice their size around the room?

Well, and how are the bionic limbs powered? If they are like my iPhone, they should run out of juice after 5 hours of normal use. I don't ever see these cyborgs (other than the Borg of "Star Trek") put themselves or their bionic limbs into recharge stations.

1. "World is going to end" plotlines
2. Endless waves of faceless/nameless baddies
3. No heroes ever die
4. Jokes at the end of every heavy/dark scene

Oh wait! I just described every Marvel movie...

Sounds to me like someone that has worn out a copy or two of Batman v. Superman from constant rewatching :p

Why can't you just trust joy?!

On topic; I always really liked how the second Spiderman got DocOc's robot arms "right". So many film makers would have had him performing feats of strength using his regular arms and his robot ones; instead they understood that Doc was just a little sock filled with meat, that hung around in-between the 4 robo arms, and they only ever used themselves to do ripping/tearing stuff.

Sounds to me like someone that has worn out a copy or two of Batman v. Superman from constant rewatching :p

I do like BvS, at least about 80% of it. The worst thing regarding that movie was the editing/pacing. Just horrible. Just as the move was climaxing into the fight between Batman and Superman, we cut to Wonder Woman checking her email. Seriously?

On topic; I always really liked how the second Spiderman got DocOc's robot arms "right". So many film makers would have had him performing feats of strength using his regular arms and his robot ones; instead they understood that Doc was just a little sock filled with meat, that hung around in-between the 4 robo arms, and they only ever used themselves to do ripping/tearing stuff.

Um, not true. As soon as he walks out of the hospital he flips a car with his arms and later he throws another one at Peter and MJ in the diner.

Ok, I get what you're saying now--using his real arms as super strength. Gotcha.

Still, they do use his real legs as having super strength. To pick up a car with the robot arms would mean his real legs would have to be able to withstand a ton or two of weight. When he flips the first car he is not standing on the robot legs. Don't really know about the second one because they don't actually show that part.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back