Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Reboots and "franchises". Do screenwriters just write stories anymore? There's too much "how do we make a sequel" going on.

The writers never stopped writing original stories. The studios stopped risking money to film them.

Reboot/franchise still make a certain minimum amount from the diehard fan base even when the show sucks. All-new shows are capable of bombing much harder.

Anytime there's a fight going on, and someone needs to pause mid-fight to yell at someone "get out of here" - and the other person they're fighting just stops, and waits for them to say it, and THEN they start up again
Similar situation: Single fighter (i.e., the "hero") takes on a group of adversaries single-handed. Do the "bad guys/girls rush him/her as a group? Do two or three of them attack at the same time? Nooooo, they all stand there watching while waiting for their turn to attack one-by-one. :facepalm

The writers never stopped writing original stories. The studios stopped risking money to film them.

Reboot/franchise still make a certain minimum amount from the diehard fan base even when the show sucks. All-new shows are capable of bombing much harder.

Yeah I understand why it's done, it's just one of the "things I'm tired of seeing in movies". ;)

Similar situation: Single fighter (i.e., the "hero") takes on a group of adversaries single-handed. Do the "bad guys/girls rush him/her as a group? Do two or three of them attack at the same time? Nooooo, they all stand there watching while waiting for their turn to attack one-by-one. :facepalm

This one has bugged me for years. Anyone stupid enough to stand around waiting for their turn deserves to get the **** kicked out of them.

I hate when they set fire sprinkler systems off with smoke. Thats not how they work.
Furthermore, they always make the whole sprinkler system go off at once. Also not how they work.

Reboots and "franchises". Do screenwriters just write stories anymore? There's too much "how do we make a sequel" going on.
I came here to complain about a few things in the first ten minutes of a movie I'm watching: the 2017 version of "The Saint".

Corrupt Russian officer who hasn't shaved in a week, check.
Some sort of nuclear weapon with large radiation stickers, tubing, and for some reason glass jars, check.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

This one has bugged me for years. Anyone stupid enough to stand around waiting for their turn deserves to get the **** kicked out of them.
Not only that, but most of the time it's ridiculously obvious that they're just waiting for their cue. Sure, sometimes they'll use body language to give the impression they're just waiting for their "moment of opportunity", but I've seen movies in which they're literally just standing there with their hands in their pockets looking off-camera at whoever is going to give them their cue as if they don't realize they're in the shot. :lol

I'm watching"I.T.". The bad guy is your usual crazy hacker that is also a stalker. When he "hacks" into their home the screens show distortions.

When you watch a film and you realize there is no story, just a bulletpoint rundown of all the ideas they had at the brainstorming session and had the intern type into a script by Monday morning. And every beat is just another "Wouldn't it be cool if ?" but it's all stringed together with no real relevance to plot, character, development or even classic story structure.

When you watch a film and you realize there is no story, just a bulletpoint rundown of all the ideas they had at the brainstorming session and had the intern type into a script by Monday morning. And every beat is just another "Wouldn't it be cool if ?" but it's all stringed together with no real relevance to plot, character, development or even classic story structure.

That sounds like almost every movie made over the last 30 years or so.

I came here to complain about a few things in the first ten minutes of a movie I'm watching: the 2017 version of "The Saint".

Corrupt Russian officer who hasn't shaved in a week, check.
Some sort of nuclear weapon with large radiation stickers, tubing, and for some reason glass jars, check.

Black oversized sedans with similar chase cars - check

Heavy Russian accents - check

One beautiful female secret agent - check

My big 4 are:

1. The noises that computer graphics make while computing.
2. The security cam image, or the "Can you enhance this part of the image?" scenes. Where a perfectly lit face is pulled from a hooded figure in a dark alley way, or completely legible license plate is pulled from an image of an entire block of cars.
3. When giant, huge, building size monsters almost kill themselves trying to catch & eat - what in reality would be for them - teeny tiny people.
4. When shooting at someone, with a full auto machine gun, & every bullet misses or is "blocked" with a shower of sparks. A chain link fence is a great way to block bullets, or a nice comfy couch or chair.

Last edited:
My big 4 are:

4. When shooting at someone, with a full auto machine gun, & every bullet misses or is "blocked" with a shower of sparks. A chain link fence is a great way to block bullets, or a nice comfy couch or chair.

I love the way people always hide behind cars in movies and no one gets hurt when in reality the only thing that will stop most bullets is the engine block. The Mythbusters did a couple of tests on this firing machine guns and the bullets went in one door and out the other side.

I love the way people always hide behind cars in movies and no one gets hurt when in reality the only thing that will stop most bullets is the engine block. The Mythbusters did a couple of tests on this firing machine guns and the bullets went in one door and out the other side.

Ducking while being shot through a windshield too. The angle of the windshield changes the trajectory of the bullet down, when shooting from the outside in.
I think it was the Die Hard, but ultimately, car seats were stopping bullets :lol

One thing I just remembered when watching the latest episode of Attack on Titan is a leader of troops who gives out vague orders and everyone obeys like they somehow read his/her mind. The classic example is you have a mlitary leader or the head bad guy and they address their troops, "You, you, and you, come with me". They usually point but it's always kind of indirect and there's enough people present that it makes me wonder how the troops/goons know that they're the ones to go with their leader? I'd be pointing at myself and going, "Me?" or him or him and pointing to the guys around me.

Or the movie is obviously just a very long sizzler reel for your effects company, like "Skyline".

The final battle in a film being set at night and immediately after the final punch has landed it's suddenly daytime.

The Transformers movies bug me, in car form they don't have a scratch on them, totally pristine in fact. But once they transform they have cracked windows and scratch/scuff marks all over them.

Hero's having infinite ammo and never having to reload.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back