Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Any bad guy on the run will always be able to Hotwire a vehicle in seconds, any hero wrongly accused or in need of "borrowing" a ride will find the keys in the sun visor.

NO ONE LEAVES THEIR KEYS IN THE SUN VISOR.

Last edited:
Any bad guy on the run will always be able to Hotwire a vehicle in seconds, any hero wrongly accused or in need of "borrowing" a ride will find they keys in the sun visor.
Yeah! My dad always leaves his in his ignition. :p

Any bad guy on the run will always be able to Hotwire a vehicle in seconds, any hero wrongly accused or in need of "borrowing" a ride will find they keys in the sun visor.

say what? now you ruined my whole business plan. i wanted to come to the USA to steal and sell cars since everyone keeps keys under the visor. you messed up my day. now i am crying in a corner :p :( :angry

How about when someone can't pay for their meal and they have to wash dishes? That's a classic.

Oh, and this one too. Character opens fridge, looks around or takes a swig of something. Closes door and there's someone/something standing behind the door. Even if there's nothing there they'll still throw a jump scare in there with a noise or something.

...Oh, and this one too. Character opens fridge, looks around or takes a swig of something. Closes door and there's someone/something standing behind the door. Even if there's nothing there they'll still throw a jump scare in there with a noise or something.
This has probably been mentioned already, but it bears repeating--those scenes with a "jump scare", as you call it. First, I've seen so many movies that I can almost always see this coming because of the build-up immediately preceding it. Second, it's a cheap shot. Third, you're not "scaring" people, you're "startling" them; there's a difference. You want to scare me? I mean really scare me? Do the work and build up that psychological tension; that, I can appreciate. Bogeyman jumping out of the shadows? You're a lazy jerk and I'd just as soon punch you in the face.

No one ever eats their fortune cookie.
And if they do, it's used for comic effect. I don't blame them, 'cause a) fortune cookies are almost always stale as hell and their flavor is about as appealing as styrofoam packing material, and b) the "fortunes" are complete Bravo Sierra.

A bad guy, a monster, a flood, whatever is coming for the good guys and they have to get a door closed to save themselves. They always get the door closed just as whatever it is gets to them and hits the door loudly. Unless they are minor characters, where it will get to them just before they close the door and they die.

A bad guy, a monster, a flood, whatever is coming for the good guys and they have to get a door closed to save themselves. They always get the door closed just as whatever it is gets to them and hits the door loudly. Unless they are minor characters, where it will get to them just before they close the door and they die.

The most absurd example of this was in Day After Tomorrow-- where an massive cold front hits the east coast, freezing and flooding everything in its path. Our heroes are the Metropolitan Library in NYC and as the giant cold front that can cover the eastern seaboard reaches the library.. it chases them down the halls until they can slam the door in the one room where a campfire has been built.

Off topic, but I've apparently heard far too many jokes in my lifetime. I started reading this, and my mind changed it to, "A bad guy, a monster, and a flood walk into a bar..." :wacko

An over used trope that's starting to annoy me now is when you have a group of people (typically military) and the leader will ask the group, "What are we/you?" or something along those lines, and the group answers but kind of quietly, then the leader will ask something like, "What was that? I can't hear you!" and the group repeats one or two more times until the leader is satisfied with the volume of the reply.

That doesn't really happen in the military?

In my experience it only happens in boot camp where the DIs would yell at for not answering loud enough for their liking, but never in the manner I described in my post. It's usually just answers to simple questions (yes sir/no sir, aye, aye sir) or when approaching a DI to make a request but it's never a "What are you/we?" situation. Once out of boot camp I can't recall ever being told to repeat an answer but louder; not in school and not once I got to my actual unit.

That's good to know. In 1987 I was about to graduate college and at one point I thought about joining up, but Full Metal Jacket came out that year. After seeing that I was like "Oh Hell No!!! You'll never get me into boot camp!!"

I was more disturbed by the actions of that drill sergeant than I was by the Vietnam stuff. I bet enlistment went down that year!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back