Things you're tired of seeing in movies

This one doesn't bother me so much because wives are always complaining about not knowing where or what their husband is doing. This isn't something confined to the movies.
Really? My wife and I know a number of married couples and I've never heard any of the wives complain about now knowing where their husbands are or what they're doing. If anything, they complain about their husbands being around too much. :lol

heh. depends on the emotional maturity of said wife or other i reckon. most adults like at least a little elbow room (i'm hoping, anyhow).
i thought being kissy kissy touchy feely two headed entity while trying to order at Kentucky Fried Chicken a little much...or with a mouthful of food at dinner in a restaurant. oops. i'm going off topic....

Last edited:
I can't remember if I posted this previously, but I saw it again today and it ticks me off. When you watch a movie where the husband is a CIA/U.S. Special Forces soldier/etc. the wife is always b*tching about not knowing where he is and what he is doing. They know they aren't allowed to know that stuff! How come we don't see movies where a lawyer's wife is complaining that he's gone all the time and they don't talk about their case? It's stupid!
The other extreme was that show "The Unit" about a group of wives who were extremely gung-ho about their husbands going away on missions that they might not return from.

As soon as someone walks in to the house, first thing they do is go straight to the fridge and get out a bottle of water/juice/beer etc. which they then proceed to swig whilst holding a conversation with someone who’s sitting in the kitchen.

Maybe this really happens in sunnier climates, but in the UK, first thing we do is put the kettle on to make a cup of tea then go to the toilet whilst it’s boiling!
Nobody does that. I live in one of those sunnier climates (Central Florida) and if I am coming home from work I walk the dog, feed the dog, take off my shoes, get two cookies, use the toilet, and start killing bad guys/monsters in whatever game I'm currently playing. Maybe I put a load of laundry in the wash.

Whenever the camera pans across an asylum and the the scene changes to an empty padded room that eventually comes to our bad guy sitting in the corner. They are usually barefoot with one foot over top the other, in a straight jacket and 1) rocking back and forth and smiling or 2) perfectly still with a blank look...

Editing is something I notice a lot now, and something of recent years that has bothered me is the need to cut for reactions after every line. We don't need to see the other person just looking at the speaker, hanging on to every word, especially if it's an emotional bit of dialogue. It really ruins the pace of that written piece and performance. Sometimes we don't even need to see the other person to know they're there listening or sometimes it's better to just show how they react bodily to that piece of information just given to them. It wasn't too long ago when films had shots of the cast in the same frame and filmed both the speaker and them reacting all in the same shot!

It all feels so cerebral now with many films. Rather than cutting when it's important, it's "cut to inform audience other person(s) are there and listening" even when all the information needed is already set-up and present.

Here, a video essay to better illustrate what I'm saying:

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on whether the reaction is more compelling or telling the story stronger than what the speaker is doing at that particular moment.
Often, it's to cover the fact that they pieced together the speech from two or more takes.

"Wait until I give you the signal."
"Ok, what's the signal?"
"Oh, you'll know it when it happens."

If your plan hinges on a signal, wouldn't you want everyone to be real clear about what that signal is?

I know this can be annoying and it is usually done by someone who thinks they are being cute but I like it when it is something big like a huge explosion that you can't really miss.

Nobody does that. I live in one of those sunnier climates (Central Florida) and if I am coming home from work I walk the dog, feed the dog, take off my shoes, get two cookies, use the toilet, and start killing bad guys/monsters in whatever game I'm currently playing. Maybe I put a load of laundry in the wash.

I live where you live, and I TOTALLY do that. :lol: Not every day, mind you, but I've certainly come home on one of our scorching, humid, summer days and grabbed a beer while greeting and catching up with my wife.

It depends on whether the reaction is more compelling or telling the story stronger than what the speaker is doing at that particular moment.
Often, it's to cover the fact that they pieced together the speech from two or more takes.

And I think this is my problem. Whether shooting schedules are shorter now or it's just become mainstay to get a bunch of coverage and piecemeal it together in post, I'm much more inclined to enjoy something more if a sequence is staged a certain way for better effect than the average action/reaction format.

I suppose it's the difference between "servicing the story" and "making the movie."

When someone opens a briefcase on a table that they would've obviously been carrying around somewhere, and there are only a handful of items, all perfectly placed in the middle and not jumbled or anything.

Just watched Thor Raganok and then Avengers Infinity War. One thing in Thor I can think of they do too much, is when the bad guy is threating everyone, like in the scene to get the sword. They go on and on and then when about to kill a person, someone steps up. Movies just do that alot.

When somebody asks the hero a question, and the Hero responds with a smart-aleck "You'll know soon enough."

No I won't! That's the point of me asking you now!

Just before the movie starts they now have some intro with either the directors or actors talk about what a great experience they had making the film. I really, really hate that.

Imagine if The Thing began with Rob Bottin, “Hi. I’m Rob Bottin. You’re about to watch The Thing - a film we created with the latest cutting edge practical effects” (montage of effects crew at work). “We’re really proud of our creature and hope you will all have a great time. So sit back and enjoy.”

What I'm finding really old now is the classic "If you're seeing/reading/hearing this now, that means I'm dead". Screenwriters really need to stop using that old trope, it's way overused now and it's gotten to be a lazy way of delivering a message to the audience.

Bad guy kills some people, maybe a lot of people, and then makes a demand while talking to someone in authority. Mr Authority tells the bad guy no. Bad guy then says he will kill more people and tells Mr Authority "their blood will be on your hands."

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back