Things you're tired of seeing in movies

No one in movies or tv ever have more than a quart of milk in the fridge. Even families with lots of kids sitting around the breakfast table eating cereal. What do they do, buy a quart of milk every day?

Sometimes you see a half gallon, it's always empty while the quarts are always full.

The community should get together and write a story with ALL these posts somehow placed throughout then get a graphic novel created to celebrate our genius! ;)

But then we'd have conflicting ideas and the story would go flying off the rails. It'd be like Airplane! Only much more disastrous. XD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know to the accuracy so perhaps someone can enlighten me. Someone gets knocked over the head with something, to 'knock them out' - and they just freeze, eyes wide open and just fall down. Or even better yet, they go "Ow..." or make some silly comment or one-liner before falling over. I'm pretty sure if you had time to think of, and say something, you probably wouldn't just timber over and be unconscious. But I don't know about the whole eyes open thing. Do you really get stunned into bewilderment for the moments until you hit the ground?

I don't know to the accuracy so perhaps someone can enlighten me. Someone gets knocked over the head with something, to 'knock them out' - and they just freeze, eyes wide open and just fall down. Or even better yet, they go "Ow..." or make some silly comment or one-liner before falling over. I'm pretty sure if you had time to think of, and say something, you probably wouldn't just timber over and be unconscious. But I don't know about the whole eyes open thing. Do you really get stunned into bewilderment for the moments until you hit the ground?

I've only been knocked out once - I KO'd myself diving for a flyball in a softball game as a kid. Dove head-first into a metal fencepost.
Everything went black, but I could still hear the "gong" of the fencepost ringing in my ears. Then nothing until I came to with my teammates holding me up with my gloved hand in the air yelling "He got it!"
I didn't even get a chance to think "OW!" before I was out. It happened pretty quick.

OOH! I got one! I've ranted about it in OT before but a word search says I never inflicted it upon this thread. ;)

At some point (late 90s as far as I can tell) it became a cliche' and expectation that whenever someone falls down in a comedy, they must say "I'm okay" right afterward. Like there's a fear that the slapstick context is going to be missed and the audience might react more with concern than with laughter.

But it ISN'T FUNNY. I hate it SO MUCH.

People can get knocked unconscious and it takes a few seconds for it to hit them. It does happen. Although it's usually more like getting stunned and not entirely passing out when that happens.

The most fake thing about Hollywood knockouts is that people recover without a hitch so fast. Hitting a person on the head is just a 20-minute OFF switch, no harm no foul.

As for cars not stopping bullets - that's partially just an outdated thing. Cars from 40-50 years ago used to have much thicker skins and more of the small parts were made of metal. Cars were never great bullet-stops but they used to be better than now.

Last edited:
I saw this on this week's episode of Dr. Who, but it happens in movies and other shows. Characters are underground, in a submarine, or a spaceship when the air is cut off. Almost immediately they will talk about only having a short time before they suffocate. In this case they were in large underground tunnels with enough air that they would have died of dehydration first.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

When a building is burning and you can run around in it because there is no smoke, no heat, and the fire is scattered in nice small chunks that you can run in between and jump over.

As soon as someone walks in to the house, first thing they do is go straight to the fridge and get out a bottle of water/juice/beer etc. which they then proceed to swig whilst holding a conversation with someone who’s sitting in the kitchen.

Maybe this really happens in sunnier climates, but in the UK, first thing we do is put the kettle on to make a cup of tea then go to the toilet whilst it’s boiling!

When someone goes and meets someone's parents or whomever, and somehow instantly feel a bond, and are treated like family. Bonus points for how fast mom whips out a photo album of pictures of them as kids, for a stranger they've known what, ten minutes?

As soon as someone walks in to the house, first thing they do is go straight to the fridge and get out a bottle of water/juice/beer etc. which they then proceed to swig whilst holding a conversation with someone who’s sitting in the kitchen.

Maybe this really happens in sunnier climates, but in the UK, first thing we do is put the kettle on to make a cup of tea then go to the toilet whilst it’s boiling!

Yeah, I think going straight to the kettle is definitely unique to the UK. ;)

The first thing I think most people do is change into comfortable/casual wear! A lot of US sitcoms have the salaryman character get home and stay in his work clothes for the duration. Tucked in button-down shirt, belt, work shoes to hang around the house? No one I know does that! :)

I can't remember if I posted this previously, but I saw it again today and it ticks me off. When you watch a movie where the husband is a CIA/U.S. Special Forces soldier/etc. the wife is always b*tching about not knowing where he is and what he is doing. They know they aren't allowed to know that stuff! How come we don't see movies where a lawyer's wife is complaining that he's gone all the time and they don't talk about their case? It's stupid!

I can't remember if I posted this previously, but I saw it again today and it ticks me off. When you watch a movie where the husband is a CIA/U.S. Special Forces soldier/etc. the wife is always b*tching about not knowing where he is and what he is doing. They know they aren't allowed to know that stuff! How come we don't see movies where a lawyer's wife is complaining that he's gone all the time and they don't talk about their case? It's stupid!

This one doesn't bother me so much because wives are always complaining about not knowing where or what their husband is doing. This isn't something confined to the movies.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back