Things you're tired of seeing in movies

And none of 'em actually sound like a real gunshot. :rolleyes They're as bad as that "whispery" silencer sound effect they've been using for decades. Yeah, silencers reduce the noise somewhat, but not that much.

The Mythbusters tested that out a few years back and were actually shocked at how much a real silencer reduced the noise. It didn't sound like what you hear in the movies but the level of the noise was about the same.

On the subject of guns.

I've always found it silly and stupid when guns go click when they're empty because the person with the gun doesn't realize that it's empty. While this happens with revolvers, this doesn't happen with most (or all) modern semi-automatic pistols whose slides lock back when the last round is fired, so you know the magazine is empty. The only time that they'd go click and have no bang if there's a light primer strike which doesn't actually fire off the round, but never on empty. The same applies to most rifles, even bolt actions, your bolt stays open when the last round is fired so there is no click. The notable exception to this are most AKs whose magazines don't usually incorporate a bolt hold open feature.

The other thing that I've found pretty silly, and a bit annoying, is the (over) use of flashlights on guns. First off, walking around dark buildings with your light shining away is a great away of letting your opponent see you coming from a long ways away. The second thing is that many of these high end tac lights with super high lumens don't have very long battery lives and running around with them always on is a good way of draining what limited battery life they have.

On the subject of guns.... walking around dark buildings with your light shining away is a great away of letting your opponent see you coming from a long ways away...

LOL! I've always thought the exact same thing! They'll never see us! ;)

EDIT: It reminds me of the Predator 2 scene that takes place in the freezer...

Last edited:
Thought about this one last night on my way home. People driving cars down the road, and their hands are moving back and forth on the wheel, as if they're driving REAL hard, in a straight line drive... Biggest offender: Bad Boys, when Martin Lawrence is chasing down the bad guy at the end. Maybe it's the world's absolutely sloppiest steering box in an otherwise pristine Porsche?

Thought about this one last night on my way home. People driving cars down the road, and their hands are moving back and forth on the wheel, as if they're driving REAL hard, in a straight line drive... Biggest offender: Bad Boys, when Martin Lawrence is chasing down the bad guy at the end. Maybe it's the world's absolutely sloppiest steering box in an otherwise pristine Porsche?

LOL! Watch the original 70's TV show The Dukes of Hazard! ;)

Years back, when we were new to driving, if we were on a clear straight stretch of road we used to do "movie driving", could bring on motion sickness real quick!!

B.A in the A-Team was a prolific offender too.

...B.A in the A-Team was a prolific offender too.
One of the worst examples of this was David Hasselhoff in the original Knight Rider series from the 80s. Straight line, curves, turns--it didn't matter. Almost every time they cut to a close-up of The Hoff behind the wheel he was whipping that thing left and right like he was on a tiny slalom course. :rolleyes I'm surprised K.I.T.T. didn't say, "Listen Michael, let me drive for a while. You're making me car sick."

When the villain has the protagonist captured, and instead of killing him right away, he takes his time, wich gives the hero time to escape/make a plan.

heroes that fight back and win after long and terrible torture

excample: hero being caned on footsoles for quite a while and than break his chains and jump up and kick villians ass.

and than they go to abandoned buildings wich where like that for years and flick the switch and poof! all lights go on :)

Or they trek downstairs to the musty basement, find the breaker and after blowing the dust clear... "SHACOOM" the lights turn on (after a flicker or two). Usually followed by an old record player suddenly turning on and is ALWAYS playing some eerie song.

I just posted one of the worst movies i had ever seen was "Meet the Parents"... with that being said

I will never understand why movies/tv shows (3s Company was shamefully guilty of this) always has friends and colleagues question the hero's intentions, comments and/or character? There is ALWAYS a new person who comes into the scene and is some secret Jedi that can have influence over the weak minded.

"Meet the Parents" and "3s Company" were comedies, I get that, but after living with someone for 3-5 years I would think Jack, Janet or Terry would have learned to trust each other first before immediately turning to the darkside?

The whole premise of Three's Company was that someone would hear something that, taken out of context, sounds sexual. That person would then get the wrong idea. It happened practically every show.
I loved that show as a kid, most of the TV shows of that era just don't hold up for me anymore.

The whole premise of Three's Company was that someone would hear something that, taken out of context, sounds sexual. That person would then get the wrong idea. It happened practically every show.
Sexual or not, almost every episode of Three's Company was based on some sort of misunderstanding. I couldn't figure out why it was so popular until after Suzanne Somers left and I realized it was the chemistry between her, Joyce DeWitt, and John Ritter that audiences were responding to. Well, that and the often skimpy wardrobes the ladies wore.

Leonardo DiCaprio.

And I feel terrible about saying it because he's been in many top-notch films from the greatest Hollywood directors and it's apparent that he has an immense commitment to his craft and works harder than 99% of Hollywood... but he's never crossed into the pantheon or truly transcendent talents in my mind. He's never been terrible but he's never blown me away, either. He's starred in some really good films but don't think I've ever seen a film and said, "oh boy, this one's got DiCaprio in it ..." I won't say he doesn't deserve his success because he clearly works really hard. Is he a great actor I'm not appreciating? Or is he just a good actor who made all the right moves in Hollywood to have friends in the right places to get where he's at? (e.g. I recall he was able to get Spielberg to do Catch Me If You Can only because he did the director a big a favor by hanging out with Spielberg's daughter who was a fangirl over Titanic.)

Leonardo DiCaprio.

And I feel terrible about saying it because he's been in many top-notch films from the greatest Hollywood directors and it's apparent that he has an immense commitment to his craft and works harder than 99% of Hollywood... but he's never crossed into the pantheon or truly transcendent talents in my mind. He's never been terrible but he's never blown me away, either. He's starred in some really good films but don't think I've ever seen a film and said, "oh boy, this one's got DiCaprio in it ..." I won't say he doesn't deserve his success because he clearly works really hard. Is he a great actor I'm not appreciating? Or is he just a good actor who made all the right moves in Hollywood to have friends in the right places to get where he's at? (e.g. I recall he was able to get Spielberg to do Catch Me If You Can only because he did the director a big a favor by hanging out with Spielberg's daughter who was a fangirl over Titanic.)

I thought he was really great in Wolf of Wallstreet and the Revenant. This Boys Life was good too. IMO...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back