Things you're tired of seeing in movies

That's good to know. In 1987 I was about to graduate college and at one point I thought about joining up, but Full Metal Jacket came out that year. After seeing that I was like "Oh Hell No!!! You'll never get me into boot camp!!"

I was more disturbed by the actions of that drill sergeant than I was by the Vietnam stuff. I bet enlistment went down that year!

Drill Instructor, Marines have Drill Instructor, the Army has Drill Sergeants.

Anyway, the boot camp segment of Full Metal Jacket was pretty accurate although the physical stuff like the slapping and punching is really no longer a thing and you really don't spend that much time with your Senior DI, but the other (Junior) DIs are actually worse. But it does get better over time and by the last month or so of boot camp your DIs will seldom be yelling and screaming at you and your platoon mates.

It's KILLING me that I can't find this online (just a picture): there was a funny SNL sketch in 1988 where Phil Hartman played a drill sergeant who did NOT have a way with words.

Something like: "That's what I'm going to call you from now on, 'Mister Funny...Comedy...Joke-makin' Man.' Is that all right with YOU corporal?" :lol

Attachments

• Capture14042.JPG
    Capture14042.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 67
That's good to know. In 1987 I was about to graduate college and at one point I thought about joining up, but Full Metal Jacket came out that year. After seeing that I was like "Oh Hell No!!! You'll never get me into boot camp!!"

I was more disturbed by the actions of that drill sergeant than I was by the Vietnam stuff. I bet enlistment went down that year!
Really? I saw Full Metal Jacket twice while it was still in theaters, and at both showings Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (R. Lee Ermey) got the biggest laughs. I've never been in the military, but I'm sure Drill Sergeants treat new recruits like that because Ermey (who was in the U.S. Marine Corps for 11 years) worked with Kubrick to re-write Hartman's dialogue to make it more authentic. That said, by the time Full Metal Jacket was released that type of scene had been used in so many movies that it had become comically cliched.

Really? I saw Full Metal Jacket twice while it was still in theaters, and at both showings Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (R. Lee Ermey) got the biggest laughs. I've never been in the military, but I'm sure Drill Sergeants treat new recruits like that because Ermey (who was in the U.S. Marine Corps for 11 years) worked with Kubrick to re-write Hartman's dialogue to make it more authentic. That said, by the time Full Metal Jacket was released that type of scene had been used in so many movies that it had become comically cliched.

Kind of sort of. I don't know about the Army, but in the Corps the DIs (Drill Instructors) were allowed to hit recruits during the '60s and probably '70s but definitely weren't allowed to simply beat up on recruits. Now a days, it's just yelling and things like push ups, running in place, leg lifts, etc. if you mess up. Also, some things were probably exaggerated for the sake of drama in Full Metal Jacket. First off, you have to meet certain minimal physical standards before being able to join in the first place. If, during the course of boot camp, you're either overweight or they find that you can't keep up (physically, mentallly, or in marksmanship) you get dropped from platoon and recycled to another platoon at roughly the same point or further back you are. In the case of Pyle, realistically he would have been dropped to a Physical Conditioning Platoon (PCP), this is where severely overweight and/or physically weak recruits get dropped to and stop all regular training and focus solely on getting back into shape and/or dropping weight. Once it's determined that they're good to go, they get placed in a new platoon that's at roughly the same point in the training cycle they were at when they were dropped.

As for the Gunny's role in FMJ, he was originally brought in to act as a consultant on the film. He originally wasn't going to be in it at all, but he impressed Kubrick so much that he ended up re-casting the role of the DI with R. Lee Ermey. The actor originally cast as the DI was given the role of the door gunner during the Vietnam portion of the film.

Watched Transporter Refueled yesterday. Someone takes bullit to the gut. Makeshift operation to remove it, is kicking ass a day later. Seriously why?

At least in Prometheus you could claim future painkillers... but overall you're right. A bullet to the shoulder is also a super common wound and quick fix in movies. I sleep on my shoulder wrong and I can't lift a jug of milk for a week.

Last edited:
Super-strong Androids ... Even those that come in child size form have a better power to weight ratio than a bulldozer. Who decides they should have this ability ? Why doesn't every new cheap electric car do 200 mph or my new laptop can render graphics that would have an ILM render farm work overtime for a week or the new Glock can stop an M1 tank cold with one shot ...

This is more of a TV than a movie thing, but I'm getting tired of always seeing the scruffy, unshaven male hero, the one who always looks like he hasn't shaved in days. It seems that this is the popular look on TV these days and it's amazing how these characters always seem to be able maintain the same amount of growth from episode to episode, never more facial hair, and never less.

This is more of a TV than a movie thing, but I'm getting tired of always seeing the scruffy, unshaven male hero, the one who always looks like he hasn't shaved in days. It seems that this is the popular look on TV these days and it's amazing how these characters always seem to be able maintain the same amount of growth from episode to episode, never more facial hair, and never less.

Well if any of the countless "What women are into" articles have any truth, supposedly a 3-5 day stubble is one of the most attractive looks or something like that. So it's just trying to play on the rugged look to keep their attention I guess.. I can't think that they'd be breaking out an electric razor to trim the perfect length every day though.

It's even worse if the people responsible for continuity aren't doing their jobs and the length of the stubble changes from scene to scene. If the movie is supposed to take place over the course of, say, seven days and the scruffy male hero's facial hair gets longer as the movie progresses, fine. But when it changes from short to longer to short again, it's pretty clear that someone wasn't paying attention.

Still, I'd rather see that than a poorly applied fake beard or mustache or an obvious wig. This is especially true if the actor has actually grown facial hair or grown his hair out for the role, shaved it/cut it before the movie was completed, then had to have the fake hair/wig attached for reshoots. Most people don't notice things like this, but I find it distracting to the point that it often takes me out of the movie.

Still, I'd rather see that than a poorly applied fake beard or mustache or an obvious wig. This is especially true if the actor has actually grown facial hair or grown his hair out for the role, shaved it/cut it before the movie was completed, then had to have the fake hair/wig attached for reshoots. Most people don't notice things like this, but I find it distracting to the point that it often takes me out of the movie.

I remember reading that this happened with Patrick Stewart for Star Trek Generations. They had finished shooting all of the scenes for the movie and he shaved off the hair on the sides of his head for the X-Men movie but they needed to re-shoot some of the scenes and he had to way fake hair. At least with him it was not easy to see the difference.

It's even worse if the people responsible for continuity aren't doing their jobs and the length of the stubble changes from scene to scene. If the movie is supposed to take place over the course of, say, seven days and the scruffy male hero's facial hair gets longer as the movie progresses, fine. But when it changes from short to longer to short again, it's pretty clear that someone wasn't paying attention.

I really haven't noticed that, except for what I said about them always seeming to have the same amount of stubble from episode to episode. But what really gets me is when they have stubble yet their character is in some kind of role where they really wouldn't be allowed to have that much stubble. A good example of this is the character, Weller, from Blindspot, the man is an FBI agent but he always has a few days worth of stubble. I don't know much about FBI grooming standards but I'm pretty sure that male FBI agents aren't allowed to go on the work looking all scruffy like.

I really haven't noticed that, except for what I said about them always seeming to have the same amount of stubble from episode to episode. But what really gets me is when they have stubble yet their character is in some kind of role where they really wouldn't be allowed to have that much stubble. A good example of this is the character, Weller, from Blindspot, the man is an FBI agent but he always has a few days worth of stubble. I don't know much about FBI grooming standards but I'm pretty sure that male FBI agents aren't allowed to go on the work looking all scruffy like.

Not only that, but there is no way that the FBI would allow two agents on the same team to be dating and certainly not married. They would move one of them to another team or force them to retire or take a desk job or something. But this is ridiculously common on TV. There is no way in hell that Booth and Bones would be allowed to be married and stay on an active team together. There is no way Castle and Beckett would remain paired up after they were married. It just would never happen.

Whats-her-face in Prometheus. She has abdominal surgery to get rid of an alien, and then is off an running with just a little bit of struggle.

She wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING that involves abdominal muscles. And that's pretty much any movement beyond using a TV remote control.

i had just recovered from an appendectomy a year prior to when I saw Prometheus and I was calling BS all over that. I had three small holes from my surgery and could barely move. She just had everything cut open through muscle to get the embryo out. There's no way those staples helped hold her separated abs together yet she ran, jumped, was thrown across the room let alone painkillers to not feel it all :lol .

Riceball said:

Because he's cool, edgy, a renegade, and a rule breaker. And all the other stuff that's been said :lol

Last edited:
I remember reading that this happened with Patrick Stewart for Star Trek Generations. They had finished shooting all of the scenes for the movie and he shaved off the hair on the sides of his head for the X-Men movie but they needed to re-shoot some of the scenes and he had to way fake hair. At least with him it was not easy to see the difference.
Another example: Ewan McGregor in Attack of the Clones. He was called back for re-shoots after he had shaved his beard and cut his hair for Black Hawk Down. The wig he wore in some of the scenes was noticeably longer than his own hair had been, and the fake beard looked like it was made from week-old lawn clippings. With all of the resources available to Lucasfilm at the time, that was the best they could come up with? :facepalm

Another example: Ewan McGregor in Attack of the Clones. He was called back for re-shoots after he had shaved his beard and cut his hair for Black Hawk Down. The wig he wore in some of the scenes was noticeably longer than his own hair had been, and the fake beard looked like it was made from week-old lawn clippings. With all of the resources available to Lucasfilm at the time, that was the best they could come up with? :facepalm

If it was for reshoots then time would have been a factor, by that I mean they wouldn't have had enough lead time to have a better wig and/or beard made. Plus, since it was for a reshoot, they're not going to invest that much time and money on something most people aren't going to notice for maybe 5 - 10 minutes worth of footage.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back