Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Hollywood's disregard for realism wouldn't bother me at all if it wasn't for the fact that many folks (both public and Hollywood-types) start applying movie-reality to real life belief. e.g. misconceptions about gun-owners as uneducated, emotionally insecure or hostile people ...

Not to get political but i really think that's hollywood's plan given how most of them feel about some subjects. If they can brainwash the masses into believing the crap they spout the better for their personal agendas. It's why i love the movie American Carol even though it didn't do well.

See also: racking the slide on a gun you've already fired. Way to eject perfectly good, unfired ammo. Aaaarrggh.

I love the scene in Haywire when, after Carano takes the just-fired pistol from Tatum, she racks the slide and a live round ejects and bounces off the floor. I thought that was tactically sound; it's faster and safer than taking your eyes off your opponent to do a press check.

Put me down for shaky/zoom-in/zoom-out cam. I just watched something the other night and the zoom was not only overused, but completely out of place. (It wasn't The Heat, was it?)

Last edited:
I love the scene in Haywire when, after Carano takes the just-fired pistol from Tatum, she racks the slide and a live round ejects and bounces off the floor. I thought that was tactically sound; it's faster and safer than taking your eyes off your opponent to do a press check.
Interesting. Is that movie worth watching?

Another alternative to press checking is racking overhand with your hand cupping over the port (and simultaneously rotating the pistol quickly) so that you catch the round in your support hand. It's the same maneuver I learned for unloading a semiauto pistol so I have the muscle memory to do it fast.

Also, idiots holding pistols sideways. I loved how they made fun of that in Kickass 2.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

I remember an episode of CSI that featured a guy who executed another dude using a side-shooting one-handed grip, and he caught the ejected brass on his cheek. The CSI crew used the melted flesh on the brass to get DNA and catch him (which brings up its own set of reality-breaking stuff, but at least they got the flying hot brass right).

That sound of a sword being drawn from a sheath (you know the one) whenever any type/size knife is withdrawn. It's been used to death. I'm waiting for the day when that sound is applied when someone picks up a knife to butter a roll.

My favorite are katana being drawn from BAMBOO sheaths doing that "sssszzzhhhhhiing!" sound.

Conveniently placed seemingly bottomless shafts.

Seriously, Palpatine... Why would you place a direct line to the likely radioactive core of your battlestation in your throne room?

Doing that is just as much of an idiotic idea as the 2m wide exhaust port. Wow, I got it. The engineers didn't SOLVE the problem that led to the destruction of the first Death Star... They just relocated it and called it an architectural feature!

"Working as intended."

Fights that go on for 20 minutes, which would leave you in a coma, then the person just gets up and runs off like it didn't faze them at all. Yes, you do have that rush during a fight and don't feel stuff until later, but the beatings you see in the movies would leave you on the ground, I don't care how bad-ass you are!

I accept a certain degree of plasticity in my action heroes, but this is one of the reasons I so appreciate early (and Daniel Craig-era) Bond films, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I love when the heroes are actually kinda bruised and battered. They also do a good job of this with Sons of Anarchy, where a guy who got a shiner in last week's episode is still gonna have a bit of a bruise this week, and it may even take another episode or two for it to fade completely.

The tiny little female, "Ultimate Badass." Yeah, there are tiny little females who look like supermodels who probably can fight, but once you got over the intial WTF reaction, they'd have their tiny, tight little butts handed to them by most bad guys in movies. I mean really, can you possibly take that character in "Live Free or Die Hard," Bruce Willis's character was mocking that concept, even script writers can't take that seriously!

While I can accept that some women are physically strong enough, and well trained enough to actually cause some damage, particularly when they're up against a guy who's 6' and solid muscle....no, just......no. Physics, people. Physics counts. She can hit him as hard as she wants -- and that may be PLENTY hard -- but the force applied simply won't be enough to really mess him up at least before he can close with her enough to take her out some other way.

Firearms that make 'cocking' sounds when they're moved more than 1/100 of an inch. If a weapon is rattling that bad, it probably won't fire!

Oh, this. Soooo much this. Like, when they go around a corner and aim and it's all "Clack!" What the hell is clicking?! I guess maybe if they have a shoulder strap on or a really loose telescoping stock or something?

Walking away from explosions. As an Army officer, I was around explosions. A lot of them. You always turn and look because only a moron would just keep walking and assume a giant chunk of terra firma wasn't about the rip your head clean off (I once dodged a rock the size of a basketball that would have landed on my head had I not turned to watch for the debris coming down).

You forgot the underlying rule: there is no shrapnel in Hollywood.

All movies being composed by Hans Zimmer. Come on I want music with themes...not generic looped beats with BWAAA BAWWWWW's riddled in. I can make that in FL Studio in 5 minutes.

Don't forget James Horner. Although at least he's "consistent." In that he's consistently been using the last two movies' score and just tweaking them for his entire career...

Okay I have a cliche that annoys me to death. It's a firearms mistake, when the actor is about to shoot someone with a pistol suddenly you hear the noise of a pump shotgun being cycled, now that's bad enough, but oh no they have to have the indecency to show the pistol with its hammer still firmly pressed against the slide. So this would be marginally acceptable if this was with a m9, or a sig p226 a gun that has a double action trigger, but no never it's always a 1911 which doesn't have a double action trigger so the gun is basically impossible to fire. You could pull the trigger with a round in the chamber, and nothing would happen. This is ridiculous to me why not just pull the damn hammer back, and whenever someone even touches a gun in movies or tv suddenly you hear a cocking sound. Almost as if the sheer force of touching said firearm caused the slide to rack itself!!! It makes scenes in movies seem like that scene in hot fuzz when they go to confront Simon skinner, and all you hear is a pump shotgun being cycled, and that was done for parody. This cliche pisses me off.

Well, it doesn't "**** me off" as much as it makes me facepalm. When folks believe that stuff IRL is when get pissed.

Interesting. Is that movie worth watching?

Another alternative to press checking is racking overhand with your hand cupping over the port (and simultaneously rotating the pistol quickly) so that you catch the round in your support hand. It's the same maneuver I learned for unloading a semiauto pistol so I have the muscle memory to do it fast.

But can you do it under stress?

I love Haywire. I recommend it with this caveat: It's not an action movie; it's a Soderbergh movie.

http://www.ifc.com/videos/haywire-dvdblu-ray-exclusive-clip-gina-carano-in-training

A bunch of guys bust into a room and shoot up everything indiscriminately for a full minute before they realize the guy they want isn't even there. Another variation is when the target is clearly behind cover (e.g. a bus) and they shoot up the bus ... why? Are they hoping a miracle bullet will penetrate an engine block and hit their target?

Or when a bunch of shooters surround one fella 360 degrees around pointing their weapons inward at him ... and naturally at the friendly on the other side of the circle.

Don't forget James Horner. Although at least he's "consistent." In that he's consistently been using the last two movies' score and just tweaking them for his entire career...

Though I haven't listened to what Horner is composing nowadays, I'd give Horner a pass just for his Star Trek and Honey I Shrunk the Kids soundtracks.

But can you do it under stress?
that wasn't done in a lull? If it's in the midst of action that's a different story. Actually sounds pretty cool. I'll check it out.

I love Haywire. I recommend it with this caveat: It's not an action movie; it's a Soderbergh movie.
I'd also recommend Way of the Gun if you haven't already seen it. The gun handling alone makes it worth watching. It takes a gun guy to appreciate it, though.

Dude, seriously? "To tell you the truth, I don't think this is a 'brains' kind of operation." ;)
Lol. OK, it's a good (and underappreciated) movie for a number of reasons - (including Sarah Silverman getting punched in the pie hole ...).
But it's even better if you like guns: Del Toro's one handed press check.
Clearing rooms with a Galil and an 870 was nice up until the director had Del Toro shoot out a mag making a linear pattern of holes in the wall.

I'm super sick of message-movies! Do we have to keep having all these agendas and messages crammed down our throats in movies? Can we just get a bunch of cool kick-ass movies without all the messages? What ever happened to just cool action and sci-fi movies without all the BS?

Scenes with a couple in bed where the woman is holding the sheet up to cover her chest. Hollywood is terrified of breasts. Breasts are evil, and will mug you in the street at any opportunity.

Also, on the subject of both movie scores and Haywire, what the hell is up with the 70's jazz score in that flick? It's like watching an old episode of Starsky & Hutch.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back