Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I haven't read any of the replies yet. I'm so adamant about this I just went strait to reply.

SHAKY CAMERA AND ZOOM IN/OUT FOR NO REASON!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP IT!!

- - - Updated - - -

Those silly blip, beep whir noises every computer or device makes in a movie, its like they have to draw attention to the fact somebody is logging or hacking into a system with these ridiculous generic noises, its just bugs me. And, coffee cups, with no coffee in them, yet they are repeatedly raised to the mouth and drank from, even though you can see its holding no liquid :lol

lee

OMG yes.. #2 on my list.

#3 would be CGI where it isn't needed. Like the damn alien in KOTCS. REALLY?!?! CGI?!?!?

Firearms mistakes!

Good example is Bruce Willis in "Striking Distance". Swims up to and boards a BG's boat, grabs a shotgun, racks the pump and loads it, then bursts thru the door to confront two BG's. They threaten to move and so Bruce racks the pump again for effect. WTF, his chamber was empty the entire time prior to that encounter?

My list:

- Firearms mistakes as well. Pump action shotguns are the worst for this, but semi-auto pistols are a close second. I'm a LITTLE less bothered by someone manually cocking the hammer of a semi-auto or revolver, just to make a point, although that makes a lot less sense when they've ALREADY been firing the semi-auto. It's particularly bad when they've been firing and then rack the slide on a pistol. I've kinda given up on Hollywood with that, though. They need to make guns click and "sha-shak" every now and then.

- No shrapnel. Ever.

- Indestructible humans except when it's dramatically important. In the fourth Die Hard film -- which was awful -- you had all manner of stuff like this. People being hit by cars and then having kung-fu fights, people leaping out of helicopters and landing on asphalt from 40' up without even a tuck and roll at the end, etc.

- Remakes, reboots, and branded properties, particularly when the bulk of the brand is ignored.

- Shaky cam, too-close framing, and ADHD editing where you can have 3-4 cuts within a 20 second span. I'm looking at YOU, Quantum of Solace. I still don't know who was punching whom in that film.

- People in movie theaters. I mean in real life, not in the films. I just...dislike them.

This one maybe not so much movies but definately TV:

Whenever someone looks at a computer monitor and their face is bathed in this intense wash of bluewhite light. It's like the monitor is a freakin' flashlight aimed at their face. I see this the mostly on The Big Bang theory.

CGI I don't mind, just bad CG because I don't feel that CG is automatically bad since bad practical can be just as bad as bad CG.

Shaky cam, esp. or particularly when they overdo it and it seems like they tell the cameraman to actually shake the camera to get that "handheld, documentary" look even though a documentary cameraman would be doing their best to actually try to keep the camera as steady as possible.

My other pet peeve is how on pretty much every TV show and movie no one uses or only barely use the mouse on their computers, everything is being done on the keyboard. Whether they're hacking or they're doing something like enhancing an image you always seem the operator clicking away at their keyboard. While I don't know the first thing about hacking but I do know about computer graphics and I know for a fact that whether you're editing a video, building or animating a 3D model, or Photoshopping an image you're mostly using your mouse while only hitting or holding a key or two on the keyboard but never full on typing unless you're actually adding text to an image.

CGI I don't mind, just bad CG because I don't feel that CG is automatically bad since bad practical can be just as bad as bad CG.

Shaky cam, esp. or particularly when they overdo it and it seems like they tell the cameraman to actually shake the camera to get that "handheld, documentary" look even though a documentary cameraman would be doing their best to actually try to keep the camera as steady as possible.

My other pet peeve is how on pretty much every TV show and movie no one uses or only barely use the mouse on their computers, everything is being done on the keyboard. Whether they're hacking or they're doing something like enhancing an image you always seem the operator clicking away at their keyboard. While I don't know the first thing about hacking but I do know about computer graphics and I know for a fact that whether you're editing a video, building or animating a 3D model, or Photoshopping an image you're mostly using your mouse while only hitting or holding a key or two on the keyboard but never full on typing unless you're actually adding text to an image.

So true!! I watched an episode of Arrow the other night on Netflix, and one of the characters was hacking away at something, trying to track someone's cell phone or whatever, and it basically sounded like they were just doing word-processing. Like, typing endless lines of text. I'd guess there's some of that, but even when they have some "Advanced 3D cryptographic ICE feature!" they still don't use the mouse.

You see this back in GoldenEye, too, although at least that was in 1995 when Windows 95 was brand new and some people were still running DOS.

• Any of the computer stuff bugs me. Especially when they do things like hit a few keystrokes and things magically happen that would normally takes 20 minutes or more to program or actually do

• Over the top CGI action sequences with no regard to any physical limitations. It is unnatural looking and just ridiculous. This includes the "indestructable human" syndrome mentioned earlier

• And of course the shaky cam/found footage stuff mentioned earlier as well. It was an awesome effect when used in movies like Saving Private Ryan, but has been done to death in recent years

• Reboots

I once wrote an outline for a script titled "Red Wire, Blue Wire"... it was all cliches.

It was terrible.

I always wanted to make a movie called 'Cliche' with every possible one crammed into it.

Unless of course that concept is one as well, in which case........

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, and is more common in television, but I HATE one sided phone conversations that would sound completely stupid if you heard the person on the other end.

Example:

(You can picture Sheldon from Big Bang Theory if it helps)

Guy on Phone - "Oh hi, Mom. No I didn't call the doctor today. Yes it's entirely possible that this disease is all in my head."

*pause*

Guy on Phone - "True, Dad did say one day I would die from my being a hypochondriac."

*Pause*

Guy on Phone - "No, I do not want you to call your naturopath"

*Pause*

Guy on Phone - "Well I'm sure those ancient herbs from the Congo did heal your all-body rash, but I think I have AIDS.

*Pause"

Guy on Phone - "Yes I will say hi to Dr. Philips for you. Bye - Maybe forever."

Last edited:
CGI monsters with SHAKY LOWER JAWS and STUTTERING RO-O-O-O-O-AR-R-R-R-RS. It was dumb in Attack of the Clones and every movie and game that copies it needs a swift kick in the good taste department.

The T-Rex in Jurassic Park didn't need no stinkin' stutter to sound good.

One sided product placement: not everyone drinks pepsi products or drives a GM vehicle. Also blatant social commentaries, the best ones in the 70s were subtle but now they just slap you across the face with it.

So true!! I watched an episode of Arrow the other night on Netflix, and one of the characters was hacking away at something, trying to track someone's cell phone or whatever, and it basically sounded like they were just doing word-processing. Like, typing endless lines of text. I'd guess there's some of that, but even when they have some "Advanced 3D cryptographic ICE feature!" they still don't use the mouse.

You see this back in GoldenEye, too, although at least that was in 1995 when Windows 95 was brand new and some people were still running DOS.

Jurassic Park is looking better and better. They restarted the entire computer system with a mouse.

-picking locks in 2 seconds
-2 second hotwires for stolen cars
-kicking and (apparently exploding) a front door with one kick
-jumping out a window with 0 shards in your body
-one hit knockouts
-the bad guy always laughing while being arrested
-cheap cgi cold air breath
-every gun sound effect is a .45 caliber gunshot
-unlimited ammo
-dramatic pauses/zooming in just before the beaten down hero gains just enough courage and strength to overpower the baddie
-every stolen car can do 0-60 before reaching the end of the block, no matter the make and model
-rooftop jumping... come on, you're falling down while you move forward, humans cant glide. i learned this from couch hopping as a kid LOL
-heroes are perfect shots, while baddies' shots hit either 1/4 inch away or a 1/4 mile from the target
-THE SILENT HELICOPTER! In real life, i actually HEAR it 10-20 seconds before i SEE it in the air!

There's dozens more but oh well, I cant type em all down in one sitting LOL

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back