Things you're tired of seeing in movies

True, but then again, how many people generally know the difference? I'd argue that to most people jail and prison are the same thing and while I haven't known any ex-cons, I'd imagine that even they would use the words interchangeably.

Jail is temporary, and relegated to the county, no more than a year. Prison is on the federal level, and thats where it goes more than a year, up to life. But yeah, I agree with you dascoyne that bugs me too.

You know what else bugs me? Adding Chinese products/actors/deleted scenes to try and squeeze every drop of Chinese money. Studios whoring themselves out to China. Bugs the CRAP out of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but then again, how many people generally know the difference? I'd argue that to most people jail and prison are the same thing and while I haven't known any ex-cons, I'd imagine that even they would use the words interchangeably.
I know most people don't know the difference. It's only a problem for me when a cop character or ex-con uses them interchangeably. Believe me, of all people, an ex-con would definitely be clear about the difference.

Jail is the local pokey staffed by the local Sherriff's department. It's the place where you dump drunks or when folks are doing 30 days for one thing or another. Prison is actual "hard time" where long term inmates actually create social culture in the prison. Prison is staffed by state or federally employed correctional officers. Prison is those facilities with high walls and guard towers with shooters stationed about. Believe me, it's a world of difference, and an ex-con (meaning he's been to prison) would be the last person to use the term "jail" for where he's been. Heck, I might not have know the difference if I hadn't worked in a prison but, now that I have, I know that a cop or ex-con would never use the terms interchangeably. It just breaks me out of a film's narrative when the screenwriter doesn't know the difference. It's the same as when Hollywood takes bizarre liberties with their depiction of military protocol - it just makes the film look ridiculous to those who would know better.

That's true about the jail vs prison difference.

I have a friend who used to get into trouble. He preferred spending a month in a state prison over a month in a local jail. The prison population was more of a threat but the whole setup was better equipped for longer stays.

I agree with Dascoyne. I've known a few people who were/are ex-cons, and they definitely use the correct words to define whether they were in jail, or in prison. Also, none of them ever used terms like "cooler", "pen", or "slammer". :rolleyes

The jail or prison distinction is most definitely an American thing.

Over here both words are used interchangeably when talking about actually serving time. For the local overnight stays I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term jail. Usually just arrested, locked up or in the cells.

I know we're largely talking about American films so making the distinction is more relevant.

I agree with Dascoyne. I've known a few people who were/are ex-cons, and they definitely use the correct words to define whether they were in jail, or in prison. Also, none of them ever used terms like "cooler", "pen", or "slammer". :rolleyes
Which reminds me, "cooler" in WW2 films I think meant confinement in isolation - what folks think of as "solitary confinement." In California today we no longer use the term "solitary confinement". We use the more PC term, "administrative segregation." Also the state makes it clear that inmates aren't "prisoners" - they're "inmates." I guess "prisoner" implies victimhood.

FFS :facepalm

I live in CA and I didnt know that. God I hate this state. Its so crowded, expensive, and man. The PC crap is running rampant. Victimhood? YOURE IN ******* PRISON. Will someone notify me when Doc Brown gets here with a time traveling doloreon? I need to get the hell out of these times.

When someone catches a bullet in their teeth, and its a hole bullet, with the casing any everything.
I've never seen that with the brass still in place, but I've seen plenty of times when there's no riffling grooves on a spent round. That'd only be plausible if you're being shot at with a shotgun or smoothbore muzzleloader!
People eating chinese food directly out of the boxes...like no one fixes a plate?
I don't eat Asian takeout so I don't know how people eat it, but yeah, you see that ALL the time in film, don't you?
How about a pizza just gets delivered and when they open the lid, it's obvious the pizza is cold as ice. Sure, I get it'd be hard to make a prop look fresh and warm, but it's obvious that pizza is stone cold when you see it, every time!

I've never seen that with the brass still in place, but I've seen plenty of times when there's no riffling grooves on a spent round. That'd only be plausible if you're being shot at with a shotgun or smoothbore muzzleloader!

I think that the more implausible thing is that the bullet is in perfect shape in the person's teeth, not the slightest bit of deformation or even blemishing.

I don't eat Asian takeout so I don't know how people eat it, but yeah, you see that ALL the time in film, don't you?
I've never actually seen Chinese take out in those little to go boxes, I've only seen them used for left overs, or, at most, small dishes, but for proper take out I've only seen restaurants use Styrofoam boxes of varying sizes. I've seen this in both fast Chinese places and in sit down restaurants that also offer food to go.

Seriously, if we're talking about a character catching a bullet in their teeth, isn't the rifling/deformation the least of your technical concerns?

The only time I've seen this happen is in very tongue-in-cheek movies. I think Jaws might've done it in one of the Bond movies, but that was at the height of Bond campiness. And he had super-strong metal teeth.
The one instance of the bullet + casing I've seen caught in the teeth was in Hot Shots: Part Deux. IIRC, Topper Harley then proceeded to chew it up and shoot the bad guys with his mouth.

Seriously, if we're talking about a character catching a bullet in their teeth, isn't the rifling/deformation the least of your technical concerns?.
Rifling is the unavoidable reality of the bullet exiting the barrel. If it's caught in the teeth, then that's super-hero or comedy in effect.
Doesn't change that rifling would be on said bullet, even if we're talking about Superman on the other end.

...In California today we no longer use the term "solitary confinement". We use the more PC term, "administrative segregation." Also the state makes it clear that inmates aren't "prisoners" - they're "inmates." I guess "prisoner" implies victimhood.

On the other hand we lock up people at a pretty ridiculous rate in the USA. The rest of the civilized world doesn't do this. We didn't even do it until just a few decades ago (and the changing incarceration rate does not match up with changing crime rates.) We also give minorities longer sentences for a given crime. And pot is gradually being legalized but we aren't retroactively freeing people for pot offenses. We put people back in prison for "violating parole" when they cannot keep up with hundreds of dollars per month in parole fees. It's a pretty twisted system on many fronts.

IMO it could be argued that a portion of US prisoners are indeed being victimized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting tired of seeing the back of someone's head, slowly turning to reveal (to the already knowing audience) .................... It's Spock, it's Luke Skywalker, it's that guy who's dead, it's that woman who's old now!

How about people facing the same direction when they're talking to each other, so the camera can see both faces at once? Who tolerates talking to someone with their back turned for more than a few seconds?
When I was a kid, Mom watched soap operas and they did this ALL the time. it annoyed me even back then to see that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back