Things you're tired of seeing in movies

You could swallow a pill without water if you build up the saliva in your mouth before putting it in. Some pills that are more sticky are harder to swallow that way though.

People taking pills without water.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

You could swallow a pill without water if you build up the saliva in your mouth before putting it in. Some pills that are more sticky are harder to swallow that way though.
I used to do that all the time but I later realized that, even if you think you swallowed the pill, a good number of times it can stick to the lower part of your esophagus without you feeling it. With acidic substances like aspirin they can burn and erode tissue if they sit long enough. Now I always take pills with water.

Last edited:
Mini-guns in movies are major repeat offenders.

1) They almost never come with a suitable sized ammo/battery pack set to warrant the ROF you see on screen. (Think 300-pounds of ammo and batteries in a family fridge size backpack)
2) They compound this by hardly ever showing the actual incredible ROF. The very typical buzzsaw sound is often replaced by some kind of uprated rat-tat-tat-tat sound because it's what people expect. When they rig pyros it feels more like a 300 rpm Maxim than a 1500 rpm minigun. You can see the bullets strike in lovely sequence. Miniguns firing so fast it looks more like a "garden hose of buckshot"
3) The man-pack versions that have been tested often have a reduced firing rate because until even a few years ago you couldn't get a decent juice/weight ratio out of batteries. If you wanted full ROF you had to sequence several car batteries. These days they use electric car battery modules. As a result you never quite get the "full experience" of firing such a monster from the hip. And even those that do try usually end up firing short bursts because the recoil is scary. There is a reason why the guy in the video above shoots from point-blank range, if you increase the distance to the target, it's clear the spread makes that old Mosin Nagant that was found after seventy years in a river look like a Bisley rifle. In movies the guys who fire them don't even flinch, and they seem to have as much recoil as a mag-lite.

Bad guy steals the macguffin (a vial, or artifact) and stuffs it into a transport case of some sort that's custom built to accept an item of those exact dimensions or a Zero Halliburton case with perfect foam cutouts that fit the item perfectly. How do they know in advance the exact dimensions of the item?

LOL! I love this one! Especially if the item is known only through folk lore, ancient scriptures or myth! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Any close proximity explosion is survivable as long as you throw yourself forward in front of it as its going off.

And in slow motion!

Why is it that in "most" horror movies that revolve around the church / priest fighting off the forces of evil / the devil there is ALWAYS this one lone homeless person, and they just HAVE to be homeless, seen standing looking at our heroes? If there is actual religious significance behind it then that's ok... but if not.. that's been played out one too many times.

This more of an anime trope than a standard Hollywood trope but it's still a somewhat annoying trope, and that is the crazy gesturing that people make when issuing orders/commands. This typically happens in military/sci-themed animes where you have a commander who always issues out commands in a dramatic fashion by throwing out an arm with the finger splayed, this typically happens when they issue an order to fire guns/missiles, or launch fighters.

"Amazing Grace" solo at a funeral.

To be fair, that's a thing in real life though. Its a big funeral song, I read that it was used for Spock's funeral in Wrath of Khan because it was so widely associated with funerals and that must be 35 years ago. Other than Taps what music is more widely associated with that event?

To be fair, that's a thing in real life though. Its a big funeral song, I read that it was used for Spock's funeral in Wrath of Khan because it was so widely associated with funerals and that must be 35 years ago. Other than Taps what music is more widely associated with that event?
Yep. At this point it's a real-life cliché as well as a movie cliché.

I'm in the minority then. I've never beeen to a single funeral that featured a soloist singing "Amazing Grace." I can't recall it even ever being played.

How about every government lab looking like a million dollar budge was spent on the décor? I guess the Spartan look that all government facilities have just doesn't look good on film?

How about every government lab looking like a million dollar budge was spent on the décor? I guess the Spartan look that all government facilities have just doesn't look good on film?
Or any government agency, for that matter. Like high tech CIA offices looming in darkness with spot lighting, lots of glass and industrial stainless steel and staff dressed in high-end suits. I'm told the inner offices look more like your local DMV than anything else.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back