Things you're tired of seeing in movies

The goofiest one of these scenes I ever saw was in "Ghost Ship" from about 15 years ago. A tight steel cable got yanked across a big crowd of people on a ship and they were shown perfectly chopped in half, still standing. Umm, no. Not gonna happen quite like that. Any cable thin enough to do the cutting wouldn't be strong enough for the job. Not even close.
You'd be surprised.
Agreed. In the Army, I trained on how to recover damaged vehicles under fire using various wrecker vehicle types. My soldiers (I was a company commander) were extensively trained for this. One of the key things they told us was you always stood twice the distance away from how long the payed out cable was. So if it broke, you wouldn't be chopped in half. We were pulling a hulk of an M60 tank out of a mud puddle at Aberdeen Proving Ground one time, just for familiarization, and the cable snapped. There was a stump of a tree about 18" across next to it, and the cable whipped back and almost cut it in half, about 6" from the top. It certainly would have cut off the legs of anyone standing there, right about at the knees.

You do know that Deadpool isn't a Marvel Studios film, right? He doesn't exist in the MCU. As with the X-Men and Fantastic Four his movie character was sold to Fox. So don't expect any continuity between them.
Which makes perfect sense in the executive studio property ownership way which of course is to be expected . but like I said maybe in an earlier post it reminds me of reading the comic back in the day . DC is seemingly coping in a way the deadpool character by bringing out there property owned smart ass before his time. Just like they coped infinity wars with crisis. One chasing crystals from space with power the other chasing boxes from space with power. Both with there world ending villain . the way DC crammed so much into BvS which could and should have waited now the rushing what could be a decent franchise to bring out after the crisis story line plays out in booster.

I was trying to bash both studios the same but you caught me somewhat lol .so it ends up showing Dcs faults or impassionate treatment of there characters for cash money.
Which if marvel believed in deadpool they could have gotten the rights easily early on as well . I just wish they would get the fantastic 4 rights so they could have a go at that franchise !

The way there shoving everything out as quick as possble I just hope they can get the rights to do the secret wars later on too .

Before the reboots begin .

I guess there fear is the superhero movie craze could Petter out so their releasing as much as they can as quick as they can not realising the reason most of these genres get played out is the studios pump em out too much making it look like a transforms fight scene too busy to enjoy it all.
What sucks is as long as they keep his backtory the same they can bring out Booster whenever because he did travel back in time to get away from his reputation . so they could just claim that's why he's early lol.
I should have just said what I'm tired of seeing in movies is .

Too much thrown out at once .
DC being the biggest guilty party . lol

Last edited:
Reboots with less than 5 years of the previous incarnation.
I don't think I can handle watching Uncle Ben get whacked and motivating Peter Parker into becoming Spiderman one more time...
I was very happy that the newest Fantastic 4 movie tanked, because maybe it'll keep this nonsense from happening anew every 3 years or so.

Reboots with less than 5 years of the previous incarnation.
I don't think I can handle watching Uncle Ben get whacked and motivating Peter Parker into becoming Spiderman one more time...
I was very happy that the newest Fantastic 4 movie tanked, because maybe it'll keep this nonsense from happening anew every 3 years or so.

On a similar note, I'm starting to get tired of what seems to be this new trend of making sequels to movies that were popular 20 - 30 years ago. Are studios really that hard up for movies to make that they have start rooting around their archives seeing what old hits they have where at least most of the cast is still around that they can make a sequel to. Specifically I'm talking ID 2, and the Bridgett Jones movie; what's next, Footloose 2, a Breakfast Club 2?

Agreed. In the Army, I trained on how to recover damaged vehicles under fire using various wrecker vehicle types. My soldiers (I was a company commander) were extensively trained for this. One of the key things they told us was you always stood twice the distance away from how long the payed out cable was. So if it broke, you wouldn't be chopped in half. We were pulling a hulk of an M60 tank out of a mud puddle at Aberdeen Proving Ground one time, just for familiarization, and the cable snapped. There was a stump of a tree about 18" across next to it, and the cable whipped back and almost cut it in half, about 6" from the top. It certainly would have cut off the legs of anyone standing there, right about at the knees.

That must have been impressive to see.

But I still don't buy the "Ghost Ship" scene.

Cutting through one body? Maybe a couple? Yeah.

But in the movie scene I referenced, the cable went through a whole crowd of dozens of people. It sliced clean though entire torsos and stuff. Everyone was still standing after the cut. Etc. I don't see that happening unless the cable had enormous force behind it, and that means enormous tensile strength in the cable itself. The cable would probably have to be at least a couple inches in diameter. At that point it's more like whacking a group of people with a metal pole. It would knock them over like bowling pins but it wouldn't cut them all in half.

Tapping a gauge for no real reason, then finding out it was wrong all along before you tapped it.
Seriously, I've driven lots of old WW2 vehicles and flown in some seriously rattle-trap airplanes in my life and that has never happened!

CGI suits.

I keep on seeing that ugly suit in green lantern pop up here.. and think.. 'Just because you think that you have to change something to show it's a big budget movie, doesn't mean you HAVE to'......

People who can walk right into and out of the back parts of a police station without having to stop for security doors or answer what they're doing to a cop!
That always drives me nuts in a movie.

That must have been impressive to see.

But I still don't buy the "Ghost Ship" scene.

Cutting through one body? Maybe a couple? Yeah.

But in the movie scene I referenced, the cable went through a whole crowd of dozens of people. It sliced clean though entire torsos and stuff. Everyone was still standing after the cut. Etc. I don't see that happening unless the cable had enormous force behind it, and that means enormous tensile strength in the cable itself. The cable would probably have to be at least a couple inches in diameter. At that point it's more like whacking a group of people with a metal pole. It would knock them over like bowling pins but it wouldn't cut them all in half.
I've seen the movie and I know the scene you're referring to. Actually, a thinner cable would slice through a human body cleaner than a thicker cable would, though a thicker cable would likely do more damage in the process because it's greater mass would generate more energy.

The human body can be very resilient, but it's also more fragile than most people think. A good friend is a former firefighter/paramedic/ENT, and I remember him telling me once that he learned after less than a year on the job how easy it actually is to decapitate someone or to sever a limb.

Here's a thing I notice all the time. (You see it a lot on star trek)

Whenever there is a cafeteria situation, people sit down with their food, barely eat, and then leave when their conversation is finished. They barely touch their plates and you get the sense that the meal break is over.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Whenever there is a cafeteria situation, people sit down with their food, barely eat, and then leave when their conversation is finished. They barely touch their plates and you get the sense that the meal break is over.
It's somewhat rare for actors to actually eat in scenes involving food because of the possibility of repeated takes. For example, there's a scene in Bonnie and Clyde (1967) in which the characters are eating hamburgers while they're driving. Actor Michael J. Pollard didn't know he wasn't supposed to actually eat, and made himself physically ill during filming by eating 12 whole hamburgers in 12 takes.

I've seen the movie and I know the scene you're referring to. Actually, a thinner cable would slice through a human body cleaner than a thicker cable would, though a thicker cable would likely do more damage in the process because it's greater mass would generate more energy.

Yes I realize that.

The human body can be very resilient, but it's also more fragile than most people think. A good friend is a former firefighter/paramedic/ENT, and I remember him telling me once that he learned after less than a year on the job how easy it actually is to decapitate someone or to sever a limb.

Like I said before, it's not hard to go through a few bodies. 2, 3, maybe 5 . . . but each body scrubs off some of the force.

That scene must have involved at least 30-40 people tightly packed together. There's no way a thin cable is getting through all of them, cutting everyone clean, through lots of clothing/torsos/bones/etc along the way, and leaving them all still standing (even for an instant).

The choice of cable size is caught between opposing demands. It has to be thicker to hold the required energy, but it has to be thinner to concentrate the energy well enough to cut through standing bodies and not just bluntly knock them over. I just don't see this stunt working for so many bodies.

Last edited:

This has always drove me nuts as well but I understand why they do it... The BIGGEST offender is The Big Bang Theory. Whenever the scene call for eating, 99% of the time they push their food from one side of the plate to another and/or the bite is SO small it defeats the point of looking like you're eating.

This has always drove me nuts as well but I understand why they do it... The BIGGEST offender is The Big Bang Theory. Whenever the scene call for eating, 99% of the time they push their food from one side of the plate to another and/or the bite is SO small it defeats the point of looking like you're eating.
I don't know if it's the lack of eating that bothers me as much as it is that meal breaks are two minutes long.

How many of those cafeteria scenes end with, "I'm not hungry anyway" as a character gets up to leave?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know if it's the lack of eating that bothers me as much as it is that meal breaks are two minutes long.
I get what you mean but that sounds like what a lot of private companies have been doing to their employees in real life. In some states, there are laws that prevent a company from forcing employees to work through lunch, but I know a few that do it anyway.

actresses who had plastic surgery. i hate fake boobs, lips like being hit by Foreman and botox faces.

Cosmetic surgery is like CGI work. You only see it when it's overdone or badly done. 90% of it slides right by unnoticed.

Case in point: Rene Zelwegger's (sp?) new face. Hugh Grant didn't recognise her picture.
Wow, you weren't kidding!
chang-pouting-o.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back