Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I guess my problem is more that the actors don't make it sound natural. As I assume they do on West Wing (never seen it).

Yeah, you're probably right.
Lots of West Wing scenes on Youtube, check them out. If you get some good ones, you'll likely be thinking, "This is really good writing, and it's well acted, but nobody really talks like this."
Try these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUwm6WJRPIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8Vl0ORBaE
And one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D93295KpIZw
the show is incredibly left-leaning and I don't agree with a lot of the political messages, but it's impossible to ignore that it's probably the best writing ever put on a long-time TV series.

Here are some bits from David Mamet's films. Mamet's dialogue can sound like wooden acting but it's a deliberate device to create a rhythm of words and ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dexter and CSI: Miami are both severely guilty of that, substituting some Los Angeles exteriors as Miami (instead of just shooting all exteriors in Miami).
They did film some of the first season of Dexter in and around the Miami area, but once they decided it was a hit and were given the green light to start on the second season it was more cost effective to film in California. Movie and television productions count on the fact that most of their viewers wouldn't know the difference.

Impossibly witty dialogue is overrated IMO. In fact I feel it's closer to a cheap tactic than an impressive skill for many writers.

When writing scripts I always find it's easier to write everything overly sharp/funny/etc than buckling down & working it out in the traditional sense. Staying realistic, keeping different verbal patterns & vocabularies for different characters, serving the story & tone of the scene . . . now THAT is a challenge.

There are a lot of lines that get repeated too often in films. The latest one that's been annoying me lately is - "I want answers."

Here are some bits from David Mamet's films. Mamet's dialogue can sound like wooden acting but it's a deliberate device to create a rhythm of words and ideas.
Didn't he write the screenplay for "The Untouchables"? Good stuff, there, made great by good acting and directing as well.
I used to think the acting made a movie, but now I think it's the writing, because crummy writing can't be recovered by an actor, no matter how good they are.

Actors reworking their own dialogue throws a huge monkey wrench into attempts to call that one. There can be a ton of that in one movie and zero in another.

People showing up just in the nick of time - to watch someone die. Run in the room, there's a minute, maybe two before they pass away, usually with just enough time to speak some words of advice, help, or wisdom. Never enough time to allow for help, but just enough for small talk before the end.

People showing up just in the nick of time - to watch someone die. Run in the room, there's a minute, maybe two before they pass away, usually with just enough time to speak some words of advice, help, or wisdom. Never enough time to allow for help, but just enough for small talk before the end.
How about the idea that someone, knowing they're at their death, is going to even think of the words of wisdom at all?
Sorry, but if I know I'm dying right now, you're on your own, pal, because I have all the issues I need right now!

How about the idea that someone, knowing they're at their death, is going to even think of the words of wisdom at all?
Sorry, but if I know I'm dying right now, you're on your own, pal, because I have all the issues I need right now!
Even worse when the dying guy leaves a clue but it's always something cryptic. Why does the victim say stuff like, "Beware of the Belgian midget."? Why doesn't he just say, "Chad shot up my ass."

Every single movie comedy that shows somebody shrugging in the poster.

MV5BYWM2NDNkYmYtODc4OS00NGQ0LWI2MWItMmE0NTNjYjc4YjJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_UY1200_CR85,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I think Eddie Murphy sums it up nicely when someone gets shot... And I think this applies to everybody! :)

WARNING - explicit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWDXdUChTFc

I think Eddie Murphy sums it up nicely when someone gets shot... And I think this applies to everybody! :)

WARNING - explicit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWDXdUChTFc
I need to listen to this. I got shot on active duty and I sure wasn't eloquent afterward! I was on Battalion coms at the time and I got a ration of grief later on:
Me, answering a question I've long forgotten, over the radio: "Uh, rog, we're shifted the indirect and just moved up to - SON OF A [BLEEP]!"

I do like how in the Untouchables, Sean Connery's character breaks that mold by just saying "What are you prepared to do?" as in " I'm shot, dying so now it's up to you, so how far are you willing to go.", and pointing out the book keeper getting out of town on a train.

I do like how in the Untouchables, Sean Connery's character breaks that mold by just saying "What are you prepared to do?" as in " I'm shot, dying so now it's up to you, so how far are you willing to go.", and pointing out the book keeper getting out of town on a train.
Yeah, but for Connery's character, that seemed plausible. And he wasn't being cryptic, he was just hurting so much he had problems getting the info out.
I once talked to a Marine from WW2, and he said a scout for the unit got hit while looking for a open-topped Japanese bunker. He got to the guy just as he was dying and with his dying breaths, the other Marine pointed to the bunker and said how many people he saw in it.
Way different than the riddles that dying people give as they croak in movies.

I wouldn't say I hate this cause it's needed. Two friends break apart/fight 3/4 into the film only to reunite in the end. We can all see it coming. Sometimes the excuse for the break up is so stupid too, a silly pet peeve pisses the person off or a line that they get sensitive over. Movies need this but it's so played.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back