Things you're tired of seeing in movies

We don't see much of this anymore due to smart phones... but whenever anybody dialed (rotary dial) a number, watch the sequence of numbers dialed... it was ALWAYS 1,2,2,3,1,1,3 (not that particular order). If you're old like me, you'll understand why. :)

We don't see much of this anymore due to smart phones... but whenever anybody dialed (rotary dial) a number, watch the sequence of numbers dialed... it was ALWAYS 1,2,2,3,1,1,3 (not that particular order). If you're old like me, you'll understand why. :)

Dialing 797-87....dammit!
797-878....dammit!
797-8785. Phew. Oh, no, it's busy.

I miss rotary phones. They were a great iconic design. You look at the shape of the handset and base and you know immediately how to use it. I love that design.
On top of that the unit was so robust they could function without fail for decades.
You could drop it down a flight of stairs or knock someone's teeth out with the base unit while making a call.
If you slammed the receiver down in anger you'd break your hand before you'd break the phone.
On the other hand my iPhone, even in a "protective" case can crack from a 3 foot drop onto a hard floor.
Rotary phones were the muscle cars of telecommunication. They were terrific.

I miss rotary phones... If you slammed the receiver down in anger you'd break your hand before you'd break the phone...

Can't do that with those annoying smart phones! Kids today will never know what it feels like to slam the phone down in anger!

Good Times... Good Times...

Last edited:
1. Sneaking away and stepping on a twig.
It's a trope, yeah, but I've seen it happen many times. That scene in RoTJ when Solo steps of the branch and gets backhanded into the sequel by the bike trooper? I saw a Ranger do exactly the same thing, sneaking up on me (I was OPFOR for the exercise) and he didn't get nearly as close as Han had in the movie. He was so surprised that he didn't raise his weapon as I capped him (with MILES gear, that is).
It would be great to make a movie with every single one of these comments!
Reminds me what a guy I served with who was in SF said about war movies, he said a truly accurate movie about special ops would be two hours of brush and undergrowth rustling just a little, punctuated by a few suppressed shots. Not much entertainment in that, he'd say.

Reminds me what a guy I served with who was in SF said about war movies, he said a truly accurate movie about special ops would be two hours of brush and undergrowth rustling just a little, punctuated by a few suppressed shots. Not much entertainment in that, he'd say.
Actually that sounds incredibly suspenseful. Of course it wouldn't have to be done completely in real time. When I saw a documentary about Col Hathcock where he talks about a 3 day crawl to take out a high ranking NVA officer it seemed pretty exciting - at least when he tells it.

On another note, I have no doubt that Carlos Hathcock was a complete badass but some of his stories seem a little "cinematic." Does anybody think the man might exaggerate his yarns just a bit for dramatic effect? Or have I spoken blasphemy?

Last edited:
If there is a scene in the trendiest night club in town, you will still be able to go straight to the bar and get a drink, you will be easily able to hear the person next to you, and if you start to dance everyone will clear away from you so the floor is yours.

Picking up a large thick book, binder or anything with 1000s of pages and the hero immediately turns to the correct page...

- - - Updated - - -

If there is a scene in the trendiest night club in town, you will still be able to go straight to the bar and get a drink, you will be easily able to hear the person next to you, and if you start to dance everyone will clear away from you so the floor is yours.

Not to mention pulling up in your car and being able to park RIGHT in front and somehow bypass the LONG line waiting to get in... (and the pavement is all wet and glossy ;))

Or you spot someone from all across the room (girl or, if you're a cop, the bad guy you're looking for. I can't see s***.

Or you spot someone from all across the room (girl or, if you're a cop, the bad guy you're looking for. I can't see s***.

The cop and the bad guy ALWAYS make eye contact! There goes your perfect parking spot right out front... Because the fight that follows will undoubtedly end with someone being thrown through a glass window and smashing into your car! ;)

For once I would like to see the ins agents follow up with all these destroyed cars and personal property claims.

Last edited:
Yeah, that only made sense in the "Terminator" movies. Heck, I walked right past my girlfriend at the time at a bar and neither of us saw the other. A friend happened to see it and wouldn't stop talking smack about it.

yeah. Frankly, I thought a funeral on sunny day has a greater impact, in that it's sad for the people there but everyone outside the cemetery is having a great day and is oblivious to the funeral.

excactly my thoughts. would make it alot more real and it would have a bigger impact.

I know it's been mentioned before,...but I saw the new Bourne film the other day & I have no problem with it,...brilliant movie,...but near the beginning, in the ops room, Alicia Vikander's character is surveying CCTV footage when she spots Julia Stiles's character,...pauses it....very blurred image,...she then orders to some one to enhance the still & it pops into a high res focussed image,...no motion blur or anything......it would have been better to have a low res image that you could 75% be certain that it was the person they were looking for,...just in the paused footage.....

J

People hitting rewind on any manner of video, even computer feeds, and it always makes that sound of a reel-to-reel audio tape in rewind. I have seen every kind of video I can think of, even the old-school TV station large format videotapes. None of them ever made that sound when re-winding!

Our first VCR when I was a kid was one of those big chunky toploaders with the fat clunky buttons like on a tape recorder. If you half pressed the RW/FF button and held it while it was playing it would make that sound. Thats the only time Ive ever heard it though.

Nobody in movies or tv shows ever have screens on their windows. Just open it up and -boom- come right on in.
Or how about people being intimate with the blinds up and anyone can just look at what you're doing?
Yeah, there are some people who like being watched, but generally speaking, women especially are going to yell at the guy to close the blinds and turn the lights off.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back