Subscribe
    From
    Southern California
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 24, 2017, 10:58 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3526

matty matt said: View Post
    The instant neck snap from twisting someone's head. Gets me every time.
    I'm told this isn't as easy as movies and television make it seem; I've never tried it myself. However, in a similar vein, a good friend who's a former firefighter/paramedic/EMT says it's surprisingly easy to decapitate someone.
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 25, 2017, 12:03 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3527

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    I'm told this isn't as easy as movies and television make it seem; I've never tried it myself. However, in a similar vein, a good friend who's a former firefighter/paramedic/EMT says it's surprisingly easy to decapitate someone.
    It's not. There's a lot of muscle around the spine including the huge trapezius that's anchored to your trunk protecting your spine. Also the cervical spine has a tremendous range of motion and has multiple points of articulation. You'd have better luck trying to dislocate their shoulder by twisting someone's arm. If your subject is conscious and moving around good luck with that. That being said, there is one way to snap someone's neck with your bare hands but it doesn't involve twisting. I feel uncomfortable describing it here but I'm sure you can Google it if you really want to know.
  3. I pee excellence. RPF Premium Member Win7ermute's Avatar
    From
    Western Canada
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 25, 2017, 12:15 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3528

How bout the old "i calculate the odds of success at "blah blah xxx to 1" by a computer or robot or supersmart alien. I'm pretty sick of that.
    From
    hiding in my hide
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 25, 2017, 1:13 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3529

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    Well... All I can say is close the blinds. We're tired off seeing you do this over and over. J/K of course! Pour me a glass!
    I like my privacy so no open blinds here

After some of the frustrations yiu have working on the MF cockpit I'm surprised you haven't been doing this yourself .
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 25, 2017, 10:13 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3530

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    ... I've never tried it myself...
    OK... this scares me just a little

- - - Updated - - -

Solos blaster said: View Post
    I like my privacy so no open blinds here

After some of the frustrations yiu have working on the MF cockpit I'm surprised you haven't been doing this yourself .
    Like you, everything but the neon.
    From
    Southern California
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 25, 2017, 3:52 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3531

dascoyne said: View Post
    It's not. There's a lot of muscle around the spine including the huge trapezius that's anchored to your trunk protecting your spine. Also the cervical spine has a tremendous range of motion and has multiple points of articulation. You'd have better luck trying to dislocate their shoulder by twisting someone's arm. If your subject is conscious and moving around good luck with that. That being said, there is one way to snap someone's neck with your bare hands but it doesn't involve twisting. I feel uncomfortable describing it here but I'm sure you can Google it if you really want to know.
    I can't imagine a scenario in which I'd need to know how to snap someone's neck, so I'm not really interested. Besides, there are simpler ways to temporarily disable most people that don't involve manslaughter charges.

OK... this scares me just a little
    Nahhh, I'm a wimp.
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 25, 2017, 5:46 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3532

I dunno, I've had a crick in the neck before where I seriously thought it was my neck breaking. Like being hit in the neck by a bolt of lightning! What is a crick in the neck anyway? Some kind of muscle spasm or something? Sure feels weird and painful.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 26, 2017, 5:02 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3533

This may have been posted... BUT

When movies today STILL try to use the Baddie saying something evil and dastardly which is ALWAYS followed by the perfectly timed lightening and thunder which of course is then followed by his / her evil laugh!
    3 Weeks Ago  Oct 29, 2017, 5:19 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3534

the wormhole tunnel effect.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 30, 2017, 8:18 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3535

For once I would like to see a series end, for ex Star Trek, where our heroes find themselves in a situation where they are unable to get out. They can't change the warp core, or modify the dish, or blast a ray of emissions to whatever it is that's doing something. They are stuck and the realize the end is coming. That would be an interesting finale.
  11. Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Upstate, NY
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 30, 2017, 4:19 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3536

I'm sure it's been mentioned in the last 140+ pages, but reminded me again last night watching Jack Reacher:

When a giant SWAT team or whomever comes bursting into a room, in full tactical gear and armor, and here comes Mr Lead Detective/Officer/Authority figure running right in alongside them with their little ol' pistol drawn, and wearing nothing but a plain ol suit and tie.
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  Oct 30, 2017, 10:08 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3537

For once I would like to see a series end, for ex Star Trek, where our heroes find themselves in a situation where they are unable to get out. They can't change the warp core, or modify the dish, or blast a ray of emissions to whatever it is that's doing something. They are stuck and the realize the end is coming. That would be an interesting finale.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 2, 2017, 2:02 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3538

OK... that's a good one.
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 2, 2017, 4:03 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3539

OK... that's a good one.
    I would watch the heck out of that one, no kidding.
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 2, 2017, 4:16 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3540

wrong thread
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    From
    Bay Area, CA
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 5, 2017, 1:42 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3541

Both the "Zoom and enhance" cliche and the generic text scrawl telling us approximately where in the world we are.
  17. Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Upstate, NY
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 5, 2017, 1:09 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3542

Without getting into too many things, how about no matter how high a person jumps or falls from, they only seem to end up three feet under water? Research points to a generalized max depth of approx 16' at max fall speed. So when people are falling from oh, 100' up in the air... why are they not a dozen feet under! Other than having to hold their breath assuming they lived, blah blah blah.

Though I guess I can add to that, the heights that people jump/fall from, hit water with zero damage done, no injuries whatsoever regardless of the angle and position in which they hit the water.
  18. RPF Premium Member Megamicrofish's Avatar
    From
    Essex, UK
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 5, 2017, 6:03 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3543

2 guys fighting in the kitchen of a hotel!
  19. Member Since
    Mar 2016
    1 Week Ago  Nov 6, 2017, 10:20 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3544

Realizing that the hero will defeat the villains in the final battle no matter what....in most instances.
    From
    Chicago
    1 Week Ago  Nov 7, 2017, 12:06 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3545

Goldhawk said: View Post
    Realizing that the hero will defeat the villains in the final battle no matter what....in most instances.
    Good point. In reality, not only does the bad guy win, but the bad guy has influence with the powers that be who enact laws that make it harder for the good guy to bring the bad guy to justice.
  21. Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Upstate, NY
    6 Days Ago  Nov 13, 2017, 9:17 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3546

To go with something I think I saw many pages ago: When a 'hacker' or expert is running software, it's always typed in such simple terms.

> Run SuperSecretTraceProgram

and every key phrase or search works instantly with such basic English and terms.
    From
    I live on earth.
    6 Days Ago  Nov 13, 2017, 10:01 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3547

So many movies and shows where someone has a sword. At one point they swing it at something/someone really fast and then they stop. A second or more later, the person or thing being hit then splits in two.