Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Equally as bad is when a character uses a slegehammer, a fire extinguisher, or whatever, to break a padlock, and manages to do so on the first strike.
In all fairness, a pal of mine was a cop and he often responded to break-ins and he said many people had padlocks that worked great, but the hasps could easily be broken off with a hammer or something like that. He always told me that a cheap lock is better than what it's locked to being the cheap part.

In all fairness, a pal of mine was a cop and he often responded to break-ins and he said many people had padlocks that worked great, but the hasps could easily be broken off with a hammer or something like that. He always told me that a cheap lock is better than what it's locked to being the cheap part.

Yeah, some padlocks can be broken pretty easily, but I have a problem with people breaking them on the first try, every time. They don't miss because a padlock is a pretty small target and it would also be pretty easy to not hit it hard enough, esp. with an improvised tool like a fire extinguisher. Speaking, can you even bust a padlock without breaking the extinguisher? Having never played with one before or knowing what their construction is like I have no idea of how much impact they can withstand.

I have a problem when some person in a position of great power (e.g. world leader) has really lousy security. This came up with the latest season of The Last Ship. I think the series is pretty great but this season the team was able to break into the home of the Chinese president and get him to issue some orders at gunpoint. I won't get into how easy it was for them to insert themselves into his mansion. I asked myself would it have been as plausible to depict a Chinese team getting into the White House and threatening our president at gunpoint to issue orders? Not bloody likely. Granted, in The Last Ship, the world is pretty much in shambles so it's a little more plausible but then the president lets them go and orders his staff to forget this ever happened.

Speaking of The Last Ship, I'm getting tired of every show and movie that involves naval ships using the same old mine design used in every movie and show since the beginning of cinema, I'm talking about the old spikey ball design. I'm sure that at some point in time naval mines looked like that but not any more, and probably not for a long time either. But every time the plot involves a sea mine they break out the good 'ol spikey ball chained to the sea floor, would it hurt them to do a little research (like a 5 minute Google search) and see what a modern sea mine looks like? I bet you that the prop shop would probably love to make a replica of a modern sea mine, their spikey ball molds have got to be to pretty old and worn by now.

The other thing that annoys me is the (over) use of active sonars and the ping sound they always use, it's the Wilhelm scream of sonar pings. It's always the same high pitched ping used in every movie and TV show involving a sub. It's not what modern ship and sub sonars sound like nor is active sonar used that much these days, both ships and (esp.) subs prefer to use passive sonar which is basically an advance hyrdophone system. They did do this well in The Hunt for Red October and in this season of the Last Ship even if they did use the Wilhelm ping sound for their active sonar.

Lastly, I can't stand seeing a modern sub creating bubbles from its props, that just doesn't happen, not unless the person driving the sub has screwed up. Creating bubbles from your screws is what's known as cavitation and sub drivers hate cavitation, the reason being is that these bubble, as small as they are, will pop before long and that creates noise and sub drivers hate noise. That's why modern sub props are carefully designed so that they can produce the maximum amount of power while turning as slowly as possible to avoid cavitation and it's also why if a sub is in dry dock you'll (almost) always see the prop covered because their exact design is a closely held secret. We don't want anybody else to know how to make their subs as quiet as ours or to get an idea of what to listen for as our subs go. Granted this is pretty detailed knowledge of subs that most people won't know but if they have a consultant they should ask for their feedback on the FX of any exterior scene with the sub and listen to them when they say that subs don't produce bubbles from their props.

Speaking of The Last Ship, I'm getting tired of every show and movie that involves naval ships using the same old mine design used in every movie and show since the beginning of cinema, I'm talking about the old spikey ball design. I'm sure that at some point in time naval mines looked like that but not any more, and probably not for a long time either. But every time the plot involves a sea mine they break out the good 'ol spikey ball chained to the sea floor, would it hurt them to do a little research (like a 5 minute Google search) and see what a modern sea mine looks like? I bet you that the prop shop would probably love to make a replica of a modern sea mine, their spikey ball molds have got to be to pretty old and worn by now.
Oh yeah! The spikey mines. Thanks for reminding me. I was trying to forget I saw those.

Wait, producing bubbles is possible AT ALL? Where is the air coming from?
Yes, you can extract a gas from liquid if you rapidly generate a low pressure region. It's called cavitation.

I don't doubt that, but in the shows/movies I've seen it's always the lock that breaks, not the hasp. One or two whacks with whatever's available, and the lock pops open just as if the character had used a key to open it. Now, I know they do it to be expeditious--nobody wants to sit through a 10 minute scene of the hero trying to break a lock--but it's not particularly realistic.

People talk themselves into any situation with ease. How many movies do you see where people just walk right by the security cameras or guards? Try that in real life, I know it doesn't work nearly that easy, even among slack security these days...
Oh yeah! The spikey mines. Thanks for reminding me. I was trying to forget I saw those.
I agree, I hadn't thought of that, either.
Good catch, Riceball!

Any disaster scene where someone is running as the ground is erupting/falling/exploding just a couple of feet behind them in obvious CG. (e.g. Dark Knight Rises stadium scene, San Andreas Hoover Dam scene, Final Destination 5 bridge collapse scene, etc.).

What makes them look so fake is that, in reality, that scale of disaster should cause even the unbroken ground to rock and they should be knocked on their ass. But it's always as if they're running on stable ground.

at 1:32

at 1:55

at 2:17

Last edited by a moderator:
This may have been discussed...

Teams of professionals trying to figure out a complex problem only to have said problem solved by a "nobody" in very little time. Which is usually followed by someone in charge saying "... of course, why didn't we think of that before?" :facepalm

Last edited:
Here's what I'm tired of:

Trailers that give away EVERY action setpiece for the entire film.

See: the dark knight rises

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Here's another thing I hate. They way the "feature" an actor on a show the moment before they die. The walking dead is always like that. You when someone is gonna die as soon as you see the actor getting a featured arc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Any disaster scene where someone is running as the ground is erupting/falling/exploding just a couple of feet behind them in obvious CG. (e.g. Dark Knight Rises stadium scene, San Andreas Hoover Dam scene, Final Destination 5 bridge collapse scene, etc.).

What makes them look so fake is that, in reality, that scale of disaster should cause even the unbroken ground to rock and they should be knocked on their ass. But it's always as if they're running on stable ground.
I agree, but more than this, when the characters acts like they knew where the tightly-defined edge was going to be before it happens, is more annoying. Force Awakens had that, with the ground giving away and no character running back as in real life because they couldn't possibly know it was going to stop right where it did. Any real person would be hauling the other direction then turning back quite a but beyond where the chasm started!

When there's a ridiculous coincidence of events that conveniently happen for story pacing. e.g. World War Z when Lane goes to Jerusalem where everything is "under control" but minutes after he gets there is when the zombies, lured by the sounds of people singing, start getting over the wall. This should have happened months ago.

Here's a thing that annoys me.

Poorly scaled space.

This is two-fold

1. I hate that it takes no time at all between planets in jjtrek. Same goes for JJ wars. Downtime is very important in drama

2. I hate that things always have to look so close for dramatic purpose. Why was the moon so massive in ET? why did the heroes have to witness first hand, the first order destroy the new republic?

3. (Edit). Also, I'm tired of conducting space combat next to large objects (ie. Planet surfaces) because we need a sense of scale. Again, JJ is the worst for this.

LET'S PUT THE SPACE BACK IN SPACE

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back