Subscribe
    From
    LA2019
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 7:25 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3476

Yorkie Fett said: View Post
    That metallic scraping sound every time someone unsheaths/holds up/pulls out a knife.
    Saw a movie were someone picked up a kitchen knife from the counter and it made that sound. It's beyond ridiculous.
    From
    Chicago
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 8:06 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3477

US3R said: View Post
    Saw a movie were someone picked up a kitchen knife from the counter and it made that sound. It's beyond ridiculous.
    To be fair, it is plausible. I've done it on wood using a vintage kitchen knife.
    From
    Southern California
    6 Days Ago  Oct 11, 2017, 10:44 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3478

I saw a movie many years ago in which someone got stabbed in the abdomen, and it made that sound as the attacker was removing the knife from the victim.
    6 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 12:29 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3479

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    I saw a movie many years ago in which someone got stabbed in the abdomen, and it made that sound as the attacker was removing the knife from the victim.
    Their shirt had metal buttons.
    From
    Brisbane
    6 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 12:30 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3480

Abs of steel.
    From
    Snowy Hoth
    6 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 1:02 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3481

CT1138 said: View Post
    To be fair, it is plausible. I've done it on wood using a vintage kitchen knife.
    Yes, but it’s situations where the knife isn’t actually coming in to contact with anything! Someone literally holds up a knife and ‘kerching’!
    From
    Los Angeles
    6 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 2:50 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3482

spare car keys hidden in a sun visor
    6 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 7:35 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3483

My pizza cutter makes that sound if I pick it up quickly. I feel like a samurai every time. But yeah, I've never heard a regular knife do it.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    5 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 12:55 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3484

Police detectives who wear either fancy and probably expensive clothes (often with stiletto heels in the case of women) or some sort of hip looking casual clothes. On top of that, these detectives often work in very sleek and very modern look police stations, not at all what real police stations probably look like inside.

The two worst offenders of this trope are Castle and Lucifer; Detective Beckett, while living in at tiny apartment always seemed to be wearing designer clothes that I highly doubt a police detective could afford and/or would wear as work clothes, and then there's Det. Esposito with his hip urban clothes. In the case of Lucifer, Detective Decker dresses a bit casually for what I'd imagine how a real LAPD detective would dress and the precinct office is pretty slick looking, very ultra modern, like something out of a Google or Apple office.
    From
    United Kingdom
    5 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 2:22 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3485

SethS said: View Post
    "Easy money"
    From
    Chicago
    5 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 6:19 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3486

Yorkie Fett said: View Post
    Yes, but it’s situations where the knife isn’t actually coming in to contact with anything! Someone literally holds up a knife and ‘kerching’!
    I always find it hilarious when movies do that cliched *TING* whenever a knife is picked up... or anything shiny and metallic for that matter.

SethS said: View Post
    I'll admit my father is severely guilty of doing that, even though I always thought it was a horrible idea.
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    5 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 6:35 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3487

Riceball said: View Post
    Police detectives who wear either fancy and probably expensive clothes (often with stiletto heels in the case of women) or some sort of hip looking casual clothes. On top of that, these detectives often work in very sleek and very modern look police stations, not at all what real police stations probably look like inside.

The two worst offenders of this trope are Castle and Lucifer; Detective Beckett, while living in at tiny apartment always seemed to be wearing designer clothes that I highly doubt a police detective could afford and/or would wear as work clothes, and then there's Det. Esposito with his hip urban clothes. In the case of Lucifer, Detective Decker dresses a bit casually for what I'd imagine how a real LAPD detective would dress and the precinct office is pretty slick looking, very ultra modern, like something out of a Google or Apple office.
    Don't forget Beckett's apartment that had to be obscenely expensive. As for clothing, it seems like a lot of real non-uniform police wear polo shirts with the city and/or police department logo on them. I assume once they make it to a certain rank then they switch over to suits. Maybe in the big city detectives wear suits.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    5 Days Ago  Oct 12, 2017, 11:16 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3488

NormanF said: View Post
    Don't forget Beckett's apartment that had to be obscenely expensive. As for clothing, it seems like a lot of real non-uniform police wear polo shirts with the city and/or police department logo on them. I assume once they make it to a certain rank then they switch over to suits. Maybe in the big city detectives wear suits.
    It's always been my understanding that at the detective level the standard police uniform becomes a suit, but I'm not, nor have I ever been a cop. But I'm fairly certain that police detectives don't wear fancy designer brand outfits like characters like Beckett do, nor casual but stylish (and probably pricey) like Espo and Decker from Lucifer do. I've always felt that they do a good job on Elementary with the Captain and the main detective that works with Sherlock and Holmes more in line with what I expect police detectives to dress like and the precinct looking morel ike a real police station, even if it does look a little on the old and run down side.
    5 Days Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 6:09 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3489

Nick Cage. That is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Walnut, CA
    4 Days Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 2:18 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3490

While this hasn't been too overused yet I'm beginning to get tired of seeing scenes where we see mounted warriors jump on to the saddle of their horses and riding into battle like that. While I admit it's a neat trick, I doubt that it's anything more than just that, a neat trick. I'd be surprised if there was any documented occurrence of a mounted warrior culture every performing that trick while riding into battle. Maybe it's just me but I don't see what that's supposed to do except to put you off balance and just simply show off.
    From
    Southern California
    4 Days Ago  Oct 13, 2017, 11:38 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3491

Kenzie C01 said: View Post
    Nick Cage. That is all.
    He's still making movies? Who knew? The last thing I saw him in was the Ghost Rider sequel, and that was almost six years ago.
  17. Member Since
    Oct 2015
    From
    Upstate, NY
    4 Days Ago  Oct 14, 2017, 6:27 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3492

He's still making movies? Who knew? The last thing I saw him in was the Ghost Rider sequel, and that was almost six years ago.
    He's done a lot of recent low-budget, straight to DVD type stuff. Basically stuff that will help him pay off his massive debt fall that he got himself into. Many have similar premises to bigger budget films he's done before. Most are about the quality you'd expect. It's like being forced to get a job at McD's. If you're doing it because you HAVE to and not because you WANT to, you probably aren't putting your all into it. Though with Nic Cage's over the top style, maybe it's better he doesn't?
    3 Days Ago  Oct 14, 2017, 1:10 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3493

Nick Cage. That is all
    still better than Ben Stiller.....
    From
    Kent, UK
    3 Days Ago  Oct 14, 2017, 3:32 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3494

Nick Cage. That is all
    jarroth said: View Post
    still better than Ben Stiller.....
    And both are better than... Adam Sandler
  20. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    3 Days Ago  Oct 14, 2017, 4:46 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3495

Angelus Lupus said: View Post
    And both are better than... Adam Sandler
    Hey hey.. Three of the ~ 40 movies he starred in are actually somewhat watchable.
    From
    Southern California
    3 Days Ago  Oct 14, 2017, 11:02 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3496

CharlzO said: View Post
    ...If you're doing it because you HAVE to and not because you WANT to, you probably aren't putting your all into it. Though with Nic Cage's over the top style, maybe it's better he doesn't?
    I think the last time he actually tried to act was Leaving Las Vegas in 1995. Everything after that has been either obnoxiously over the top, or completely phoned in.
    From
    United Kingdom
    2 Days Ago  Oct 16, 2017, 5:53 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3497

Darth Lars said: View Post
    Hey hey.. Three of the ~ 40 movies he starred in are actually somewhat watchable.
    As many as three?
    From
    Southern California
    1 Day Ago  Oct 16, 2017, 6:45 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3498

Greenie said: View Post
    As many as three?
    I just reviewed his filmography on IMDb. Three sounds about right...maybe four.
    From
    United Kingdom
    1 Day Ago  Oct 17, 2017, 2:19 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3499

I just reviewed his filmography on IMDb. Three sounds about right...maybe four.
    Go on then, name them. The ones with Drew don't count cos she's the reason to watch those.
  25. Member Since
    Mar 2014
    From
    Fribourg, Switzerland
    1 Day Ago  Oct 17, 2017, 5:18 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3500

Greenie said: View Post
    Go on then, name them. The ones with Drew don't count cos she's the reason to watch those.

Raising Arizona
    Leaving Las Vegas
    and...um...
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High?