Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I'm reminded of a a-hole dungeon master I once had in D&D. Our team was traveling, and he showed us on the map how far we'd get in a day. We then say we'll walk another day, and he shows us where, and then another day....

...and then he says we all die of exposure/exhaustion/dehydration/starvation (pick one), because we didn't say we stopped to eat, drink or sleep. End of campaign.

We didn't play with him again after that.
It seems like he's played too much Oregon Trail.
That's one terrible DM. It says so much about his objectives that he would pull that crap. It must've been his first time because you can't possibly sustain a decent campaign with that kind of attitude.

With my buddies I was the DM (or GM depending on what we were playing) and we had a culture of complete open world play which was incredible fun. Creating/improvising side quests generated by the unpredictability of my friends was the best. Sometimes they would burn half the day with NPCs in the brothel (we were teenage males). Of course there was one guy who didn't always get into the spirit and was frustrated that his buddies weren't advancing the "plot." He got to guard the horses or look for mini-side quests while his buddies were in the inn/tavern/brothel. I was often running two plots simultaneously. Great times.

OK... Women who call their father's "Daddy" regardless of their age. I understand wanting to let the audience know of the strong bond between father and daughter... I got it... but I have NEVER heard any woman past their 6's call out for "Daddy".

OK... Women who call their father's "Daddy" regardless of their age. I understand wanting to let the audience know of the strong bond between father and daughter... I got it... but I have NEVER heard any woman past their 6's call out for "Daddy".
Well there was this girl I dated who called me this in the heat of the moment ...

Admittedly I was only slightly less turned on as I was creeped out.

Yeah, good point.
How about people who call themselves by their names, when they're alone, consistently through a TV show or movie? Yeah, that's done so the audience knows who is who, but who refers to someone by their name when it's just the two of them talking. Who else could they be referring to?

Cop shows and movies that try too hard to be hard-boiled by having the characters overly blasé about a particularly gruesome murder scene as if it's a routine to encounter a roomful of decapitated people.

Well there was this girl I dated who called me this in the heat of the moment ...

Admittedly I was only slightly less turned on as I was creeped out.

And now we're all creeped out... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, good point.
How about people who call themselves by their names, when they're alone, consistently through a TV show or movie? Yeah, that's done so the audience knows who is who, but who refers to someone by their name when it's just the two of them talking. Who else could they be referring to?

Amen! That's another one of those annoyances. As you said, it's so the audience (new comers) know who the different characters are but try calling someone by their first name over and over. It's DEF creepy!

You must not be from the South. Almost everyone here, regardless of age, calls their father Daddy. However it is more pronounced like "Deddy". I am 51 years old and I still call my 80 year old father Daddy.

What I can't stand are all those goshawful grandparent names--meemaw, papaw, pawpaw, meemee, etc.

You must not be from the South. Almost everyone here, regardless of age, calls their father Daddy. However it is more pronounced like "Deddy". I am 51 years old and I still call my 80 year old father Daddy.

What I can't stand are all those goshawful grandparent names--meemaw, papaw, pawpaw, meemee, etc.

Hey L,

Funny thing... I live in Alabama! And yes, you are correct. It is pronounced more like Deddy. So it's not taken in its literal form. But I was referring to the sweet suck-up style of Daddy we always hear in the movies or TV shows. :)

I was born and raised in North Florida in real redneck county (my parents were from Northeast Tennessee, so I'm related to hillbillies). I never heard anyone called their parents mommy and daddy until after puberty took hold. I call my Father either "Dad" or sometimes "Pop" as my nephew called him "PopPop" when he was a toddler.
And the meemaw kind of stuff? Never heard anyone use that outside of TV and movie. I called my Grandparents on Mom's side, "GrandPa" and "GrandMa" when they were alive. My Dad's mother, she had a nickmane everyone called her.

See, it's just the opposite where I grew up. I've NEVER heard anyone I know actually call their grandparents "grandma" or "grandpa"

Here's another one for you. Outside of the movies, have you EVER heard a kid call his Dad "Father"?

Outside of the movies, have you EVER heard a kid call his Dad "Father"?
Never, other than when making a joke.
How about siblings referring to each other as such? It's like the characters using names for people when talking to them, how often do you see brothers in real life referring to one another as big or little brother? NEVER happens!

Movies that involve aliens and the realization that humanity is a wondrous species that can excel in things that alien life forms cannot possibly comprehend.

Examples:
Green Lantern - Hal Jordan becomes almost god like with the Green Lantern powers and succeeds in killing a being all by himself where a whole squad of GLs couldnt. Because Hal's humanity makes him special.
Independence Day: Resurgence - This alien/computer being calls humans inferior, yet states that no one, not even her supposed superior species was able to kill a Queen. Now that humanity has killed two, all of a sudden this alien orb now wants them to lead the resistance against these aliens. Because we're special naturally.
Star Trek - I wonder what would happen if Spock wasn't half-human. Would he be used as the franchise's "Humanity is great and you are stupid" punching bag the same way T'Pol, a full blooded Vulcan was treated on ENTERPRISE?

Movies that involve aliens and the realization that humanity is a wondrous species that can excel in things that alien life forms cannot possibly comprehend.
Interesting take, good point.
How about in the series, "Taken," when the B-17 pilot is captured my aliens and there's a stack of firearms in a corner and the 'greys' have no clue what they're for, so he grabs one and starts offing a bunch of them?

Can't remember if this was mentioned yet, but if so, my apologies. But since I was just watching some old tv classics, and then saw it again on a couple movies, I'm going to go with:

Helicopter chase scenes where the pilot is flying 20' off the ground instead of you know, where they SHOULD be viewing from?

Standoffs.... of the "I am totally burning with the passion of a thousand suns in my hatred of you for killing my family, so I'm going to track you down, point a gun at your head and... then have a dialogue for 5 minutes." variety. Kinda goes along with the bad guy giving the good guy he's captured way too much time to get away. I know some movies have played on that joke (Austin Powers, etc) where they even comment about it. And I know that's the fun in some of those movies, but there are even serious movies I've seen where the hero is captured, the bad guy makes a speech about it, and then still gives ample time to escape. I mean, unless you have probable cause to try to extract information or whatnot, just..friggin shoot him. Like, end of Deadpool for example. "Oh, you can't fix me? *Bang*

Anyone here into trains? If so, how about trains moving at supersonic speeds in movies that aren't bullet trains? The recent Tarzan movie was especially nuts, a Belgian colonial railroad in Africa, pre-1900, and the steam-powered train moving what looks like 50+ MPH... :facepalm

Yeah, you're right. I guess it's kind of like the bathroom thing. Why does no one in the movies ever have to take a dump when they wake up?
Or use the toilet in general, unless it the movie is a comedy. They claimed this was going to be addressed on one season of "24", but they never did.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back