Subscribe
  1. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    Apr 21, 2017, 8:04 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3376

AJK001 said: View Post
    This brings up one of my dislikes. Characters that are supposed to be America using British references, such as Torch for Flashlight and Lift for Elevator.
    For a sec I forgot that the Brits use torch for flashlight. I was thinking, like, a flaming tree branch or something, hahaha.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Apr 21, 2017, 8:08 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3377

Speaking of flashlights, and I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it happens all the time. Character goes into dimly lit area with flashlight. The light will flicker and go out. Character bangs on it a couple of times. Like clockwork.
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Apr 21, 2017, 8:09 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3378

This brings up one of my dislikes. Characters that are supposed to be America using British references, such as Torch for Flashlight and Lift for Elevator.
    MCM said: View Post
    For a sec I forgot that the Brits use torch for flashlight. I was thinking, like, a flaming tree branch or something, hahaha.

Could be Americans just using the proper words....<ducks>

J
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    Apr 21, 2017, 12:28 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3379

matty matt said: View Post
    Speaking of flashlights, and I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it happens all the time. Character goes into dimly lit area with flashlight. The light will flicker and go out. Character bangs on it a couple of times. Like clockwork.
    I do that all the time with my flashlights, it works.
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    Apr 21, 2017, 8:47 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3380

For me that would depend on the context. If the character has been living in another country for a long time then it is natural to use terms from that country.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    Apr 21, 2017, 8:50 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3381

Sorry if this is a double post, I don't see my first reply. If the character has been living there long enough they will use those and other words and phrases.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Apr 22, 2017, 8:01 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3382

robn1 said: View Post
    I do that all the time with my flashlights, it works.
    Oh yeah, for sure. It's just funny how much movies and TV shows rely on it.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Apr 22, 2017, 2:52 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3383

Here's one that's bugged me for a while and I was just reminded of when watching one of the recent episodes of Agents of SHIELD. That's roadblocks/checkpoints and people (our hero usually) driving on the road, sees one off in the distance, stops and turns around, all the while the people manning the roadblock/checkpoint don't seem to notice this car doing so. I would think that stopping and turning around from a roadblock would seem pretty suspicious to the people manning it and they would call out to the car to try to get them to stop and allowed themselves to be checked. It's also very convenient that when this happens they're almost always the last person in line and there's no other cars coming up behind, yet there are several cars in front of them. If a street is that frequented that there's at several cars ahead of them that have been stopped what are the odds that they (our hero) is the last one to go down that road for a good while?
    From
    London, New York, Paris, Los Angeles, Lowestoft
    May 3, 2017, 10:11 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3384

Any line of dialogue that ends in the word "people". "We are through the looking glass here, people"
    Any film where the marketing hype has been more professionally planned and executed than the film. Alien : Covenant has reached that point.
    Any film with Tom Cruise in it. (Sorry. Currently overrated. Early stuff was very good though).
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    May 3, 2017, 4:28 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3385

Riceball said: View Post
    Here's one that's bugged me for a while and I was just reminded of when watching one of the recent episodes of Agents of SHIELD. That's roadblocks/checkpoints and people (our hero usually) driving on the road, sees one off in the distance, stops and turns around, all the while the people manning the roadblock/checkpoint don't seem to notice this car doing so. I would think that stopping and turning around from a roadblock would seem pretty suspicious to the people manning it and they would call out to the car to try to get them to stop and allowed themselves to be checked. It's also very convenient that when this happens they're almost always the last person in line and there's no other cars coming up behind, yet there are several cars in front of them. If a street is that frequented that there's at several cars ahead of them that have been stopped what are the odds that they (our hero) is the last one to go down that road for a good while?

6 Days Ago  Aug 12, 2017, 9:54 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3386

1. Cinematic universes
    Even as a child, I knew the concepts of OMG THIS GUY MEETS THIS ONE!1!! was pure fanservice and I was not impressed. I've always cared more about story integrity than catering to fans. In my mind, the cardinal sin of writing is allowing outside influences to impact a story... which is 100% what this concept stems from.
    The point is, some franchises simply cannot exist together, so don't even try.
    And needless to say, we get far too much of this concept these days.

2. Pointless sequels
    Goes hand in hand with the first point too. There's nothing worse than sequels to films that never needed them, and then more after that. Even if the film was good, surely a large group of sequels will immediately devalue the original film and decay any potential it once had AS a franchise.
    It's okay for things to just end. I know why studios do it, but I have zero clue why people have such a strong aversion to it.
    Last edited by AssCred; 4 Days Ago at 9:30 AM.
  12. RPF Premium Member DarkHelmet's Avatar
    From
    Maui
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 12:39 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3387

This has probably been said, but for me it's:

1. comic book landings (character lands on all three with a thud and one arm cocked back.
    2. Trench coat badass firing two guns as they walk the scene.
    3. Instant slow-mo shot of badass doing a Matrix move.

those three things will stop me from seeing a movie if I see it in a trailer.
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 6:50 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3388

I may get dogpiled here, but I am kind of tired seeing old Stan Lee doing his cameo in every Marvel movie. It was cute the first couple times, now it is distracting and lame.
  14. Mance Vader RPF Premium Member MCM's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 6:52 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3389

cunningham said: View Post
    I may get dogpiled here, but I am kind of tired seeing old Stan Lee doing his cameo in every Marvel movie. It was cute the first couple times, now it is distracting and lame.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that I'm sick of Marvel movies, period. *ducks*

15. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    From
    England U.K.
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 1:25 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3390

No Subtitles .. So Hollywood, how about some hot French girls with perky ****?
    From
    somewhere in Luxembourg
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 3:25 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3391

Bob Solo said: View Post
    Over here in Luxembourg, ALL movies are subtitled. But that's because the whole population is fluent in 4-5 languages and movies are shown in their original language. Most movies are in English of course, and they are subtitled german and french.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    From
    Southern California
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 10:03 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3392

Just curious--why do they have to be French?
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 10:43 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3393

When people keep shooting at robots/aliens/monsters that are clearly bulletproof.
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Rocky Point, NY
    4 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 7:12 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3394

The thing I'm tired of seeing is most of the movies made in the last 20 years or so.
    4 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 10:40 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3395

Yes, that comic book landing is ridiculous and overused - I am pretty sure that wouldn't be the ideal way to land, but I guess a rolling fall wouldn't look so god-like.
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    4 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 11:48 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3396

"Join with me and we'll rule ______ together." (or some variation thereof).

My wife made me watch Fantastic Beasts with her and, when that line came up, I thought of posting this.

Was this a trope in 1980 when Vader said that to Luke? Did it all begin with ESB?
  22. Member Since
    Aug 2014
    From
    England U.K.
    4 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 1:03 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3397

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    Just curious--why do they have to be French?
    Because i have a thing for hot naked French girls, talking hot French language .. But i cant talk French so need subtitles
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    4 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 1:52 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3398

cunningham said: View Post
    I kind of agree... But "Tony Stank" was FUNNY!

- - - Updated - - -

matty matt said: View Post
    Another flashlight annoyance and this may have been mentioned already... Someone shines a flashlight on a wall or object and there nothing more than a spot on that particular object. No ambient light is ever seen...
    From
    Southern California
    4 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 10:21 PM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3399

dascoyne said: View Post
    "Join with me and we'll rule ______ together." (or some variation thereof).

My wife made me watch Fantastic Beasts with her and, when that line came up, I thought of posting this.

Was this a trope in 1980 when Vader said that to Luke? Did it all begin with ESB?
    I don't know if it was a "trope" in 1980, but some variation of the villain attempting to convince the hero to join the "bad" side has been used for decades, maybe centuries.

Because i have a thing for hot naked French girls, talking hot French language .. But i cant talk French so need subtitles
    Fair enough. I guess I'm easy. I don't care about their nationality or race; as long as I think they're attractive, naked is good enough.
    3 Days Ago  Aug 15, 2017, 11:42 AM - Re: Things you're tired of seeing in movies #3400