Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I didn't say the entire series was badly written, I said this episode was.
Fair enough. Considering you've only seen the one episode, I can understand why that would be your opinion. However, within the context of the entire series and taking the relationships between the characters into consideration, it was actually quite well written, appropriate, and pretty funny.

Are we seriously discussing the 'merits' of something as insipid as "The Big Bang Theory"?
I honestly thought you RPF cats would find the whole premise condescending (I sure as heck do).
I'm actually slightly appalled that my fellow RPFers are defending that CRAP.
No offense, Zombie, but - seriously???

Are we seriously discussing the 'merits' of something as insipid as "The Big Bang Theory"?
I honestly thought you RPF cats would find the whole premise condescending (I sure as heck do).
I'm actually slightly appalled that my fellow RPFers are defending that CRAP.
No offense, Zombie, but - seriously???
I know people in real life who are very much like the characters on the show--intelligent and brilliant, but incredibly awkward socially. And I find it far more entertaining than yet another sitcom about a hen-pecked husband and his smarter-than-he-is wife. *shrug*

Besided, we're a bunch of fans nit-picking about overused tropes in movies in this thread. If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at? :D

I know people in real life who are very much like the characters on the show...

Oh, so do I.
And they're NOTHING like the characters on the show.
How do they all have a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend?
The pretty girls I know want NOTHING to do with guys who spend their free-time diagramming Jeffries tubes.
Those girls would be out banging the bad boys with guitars.
You know it, and I know it.
Don't defend that crap.

Oh, so do I.
The pretty girls I know want NOTHING to do with guys who spend their free-time diagramming Jeffries tubes.
Don't defend that crap.
Hey, I'm a nerd (studied archeology, too) AND I play the guitar. ;)

AND I enjoy TBBT, as does my wife (who doesn't *get* my sometimes childish behaviour) I actually made her watch TBBT in order to see that SF/Fantasy/Comics geeks are common enough to warrant an entire show dedicated to them. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am part of the crowd who finds the big bang theory condescending.

I have friends like those guys. And they're virgins at the age of 40.

A better look at that archetype would be the it crowd. Where their nerd dom is actually antisocial behaviour. Or Martin Starr on party down.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Oh, so do I.
Don't defend that crap.

I've known plenty of nerdy guys who had hot girlfriends. My late wife was smokin' hot and she indulged all my so called nerdy hobbies.

Are there geeks who can't get women? Sure, absolutely, but this is television. If you went by that logic, most all guys on tv wouldn't have the nice looking girlfriends or wives that they have.

Oh, so do I.
Don't defend that crap.

So it's crap because you and your friends didn't land beautiful girlfriends? Got it.

Have you bothered watching the show? Are are all your statements over generalizations?

If you had bothered to watch the show, you'd know it took years for Penny to come around to liking Leonard as a boyfriend. Until then, she was out banging the bad boys.

Oh, so do I.
Okay, wait a minute. You know people who are very much like the characters on the show, but they're nothing like the characters on the show? :confused

By the way, I only said I knew people like those characters; I never said any of them had beautiful girlfriends, or handsome boyfriends for that matter. Some of them do, though. Go figure. :lol

When they have a female lead they need to have another contrasting female character - either a competitor or colleague who is tall, busty, blonde, ditzy or cowardly just so we appreciate how clever, brave and intelligent our principle character is.
e.g. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - the Australian journalist

It's actually an insult to MY intelligence whenever they try to pull off that device in a movie.

Last edited:
High speed chases going against the traffic in a tunnel or some other limited access road.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

A woman complains to her friend about her boyfriend/husband not picking up on the subtle hints she is dropping about something. Friend then says something along the lines of "men are so dumb".

Poor people (or areas) always being dirty. The reverse of this is that the rich people are always spotlessly clean (but the poor people part bothers me more).

L~

How about this trope:

1: "I need to tell you something"
2: "I know what you're going to say"
1: "You do? Great"

Later, after hilarious/tragic/annoying misunderstanding...

1: "You said you knew!"
2: "I thought you meant something else!"

This may have been covered... When someone knocks on the front door and within 2 sec the person answers. And the worst is when they appear to have come from upstairs after being asleep... ugh..

- OR -

A person is asleep and the phone rings in the middle of the night. The person turns the light on and instantly opens their eyes then answers the phone.

Just saw this on a TV show, but I've seen it in movies too: Character returns to school after being away several years or more and one or more instructors remembers everything that the character did as a student.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back