Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Here's one... bad guy falls in a vat, lake, or other various form of corrosive liquid and just when you think he's gone, his hand comes up out of the water somehow the rest of his body hasn't been eaten away enough to allow him one last desperate attempt at freeing himself. I've seen that scene so many times in so many different movies... Terminator 2, Tomb Raider, Batman... the list goes on and on!

And I swear if I see another Superman Origin story again I'm gonna scream! He's from Kyrpton... the planet blew up... he was adopted by the Kents... How many different fricken times are they gonna tell that same story over and over again... same thing with Batman! I mean comon.,. is there anyone left out there that doesn't know that Batman's parents where shot while they were walking home from the movies?

Here's one... bad guy falls in a vat, lake, or other various form of corrosive liquid and just when you think he's gone, his hand comes up out of the water somehow the rest of his body hasn't been eaten away enough to allow him one last desperate attempt at freeing himself. I've seen that scene so many times in so many different movies... Terminator 2, Tomb Raider, Batman... the list goes on and on!
I wonder if that could be called a variation on the "guy trying to get out of the water with dangerous animals, friends pull him out, but there is nothing from the waist down"?

Massive facial cuts that are obviously just drawn on, thinking of the end of Taken 2 here where Liam rubs his wife's cheek, despite the fact she appears to have a three in gash on it, you should be seeing her teeth through that!

Massive facial cuts that are obviously just drawn on, thinking of the end of Taken 2 here where Liam rubs his wife's cheek, despite the fact she appears to have a three in gash on it, you should be seeing her teeth through that!
Similarly, a character receives a deep cut or gash and it stops bleeding almost immediately.

Reminds me of Lana in Smallville. How many times did she end up in the hospital with facial or forehead lacerations? She wouldn't be pretty for long...

And of course when someone touches the area where the cut is they don't even flinch from pain or it's a delayed reaction that is so obvisously fake!

Space wormholes in sci-fi.
Oh GOD yes, this!
Wormholes are the easy way to write out a very long space trip somewhere. People think they're scientific fact, but really they're just theory (I know because I asked a NASA scientist about them not long ago).

Oh GOD yes, this!
Wormholes are the easy way to write out a very long space trip somewhere. People think they're scientific fact, but really they're just theory (I know because I asked a NASA scientist about them not long ago).

Yeah, but depending on of it's just a theory or scientific can make a huge difference. One is just a really good guess while the other is about as good as a fact.

Oh GOD yes, this!

Yeah, but depending on of it's just a theory or scientific can make a huge difference. One is just a really good guess while the other is about as good as a fact.
At best wormholes are scientifically plausible. Unlike every other astronomic phenomenon (e.g. Black Holes) this concept didn't arise from something observable or even mathematic. The wormhole originated as a pure sci-fi plot device which folks try to backwards rationalize in physics.

Wormholes arose from several mathematical models. There are 3 that I know of. They were first described in 1916, and are based on Einstein's general relativity model.

While there's no direct evidence, everything about our current understanding of the universe says they can exist. So the wormhole existed well before they originated as a sci-fi plot device.

Wormholes arose from several mathematical models. There are 3 that I know of. They were first described in 1916, and are based on Einstein's general relativity model.

While there's no direct evidence, everything about our current understanding of the universe says they can exist. So the wormhole existed well before they originated as a sci-fi plot device.

Einstein also said that nothing can move faster than light and yet just recently, they discovered a particle that does. So yeah... He was brilliant, but wasn't always right either!

Those mathematical iterations are a FAR cry from the sci-fi device that allows for the translation of macroscopic objects through timespace. The spaceship-highway described in sci-fi films that appropriated the name, "wormhole," has absolutely no foundation in science. Period.

Quantum Tunneling is another bizarre phenomenon in physics. Unlike wormholes this is an observable occurrence with subatomic particles. It's more plausible to propose that a person can run into a wall and magically appear on the other side by the principle of quantum tunneling than it is to find a wormhole that can transport manned spacecraft.

I stand by my point.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back