Suckerpunch Colossal Samurai with Gatling Gun

merquise13

Good day everyone, First post to theRPF, but i've frequented in here looking for build tips and techniques. I have a few costumes to my name including a deadpool, 501st approved Biker scout, as well almost completed Tusken Raider and a custom mandalorian. (as you can tell, i like star wars :) )

I was planning on sticking to the 501st at the upcoming FanEx in Salt Lake City in april. Well come to find out, we're not doing a large presence like we did at Salt Lake Comic con last year (had a huge booth and did several events including blast a trooper).
So not wanting to walk around in my 501st gear, and my deadpool needs serious upgrades to look nice, i have decided to make an attempt at doing the Suckerpunch Colossal Samurai, the one with the gatling gun.

Will be a monumental undertaking, but i think i can pull off something decent for the con, with possible upgrades in the future.

So right now, i'm researching materials that i'll probably need, as well how i'll want to do this. With being a short amount of time (3 months) to do this, i probably wont go into MEGA detail yet, but it'll still look decent.

In looking at the armor pieces, i'm thinking of either going with EVA foam mats, or just using a 3 or 6mm sintra plastic. I've used sintra plenty, but never tried the mats. Any thoughts or tips on that?
The gatling, i'm sure i can whip out pretty easily using random piping and accessories found at lowes or my garage.

The one part i'm stuck on right now is the helmet/mask. The mask will hopefully be not too hard, was thinking of either buying a close replica online, or molding my own and casting it. But the helmet, yeah, i might need ideas.
My ideas are running anywhere from taking a baseball helmet or german surplus helmet and modifying and adding to the top with bondo or something and adding the horns, etc etc.

Much planning i have ahead of me to ensure i can and will do this before the con, but any suggestions etc would be much appreciated.
Here's some pics of that particular char. Of course this is just a model, but i like how well you can see detail and seems to match the on screen.
10182392a.jpg10182392a4.jpg10182392a8.jpg

Can't wait to see this start coming together! Make sure that you post up lots of WIP photos!

Can't wait to see this start coming together! Make sure that you post up lots of WIP photos!
I do really try to document my builds better. i take some pics but not as much as i should. my two current build threads are
emperialmotorcyclescout.blogspot.com (has my scout and mando) and sandpeopleareeasilystartled.blogspot.com for my tusken. just pics, as i said i suck at documenting what i'm doing.

Okay, so i've been doing further research. My dad introduced me to a method of making knife handles called micarta, which he said can be applicable to making the helmet and possibly the mask. Build the form and then use a resin and fabric overlayed. once dried it can be cut and sanded as needed. Seems simple enough. The mask i'm still working on. I'm not a great artist so i'm afraid of making it myself, but all the masks i'm finding are oober expensive that are close to what i need. The cheapest i've come across so far is a hannya airsoft mask for about $60 on amazon. But that one site with the instructionals for samurai armor did have the mask template. I might try that.

In planning, i have come across 2 questions

1) most of chords that bind the armor on the samurai in the movie appear to be similar in color to the armor itself. In other references, the samurai have appearance of stone or solid metal, as they are enchanted statues, not actual people. So with this, if in my base coat, if i sprayed the chords with paint, do you think theyd hold the color? Or would i be better off spraying the armor first, and having the chord be a specific color close to match?

2) For the face, the samurai have glowing eyes. I'm probably going to either wear a black shroud of cloth to conceal my face, or a black mask over my face, under the samurai style. But want glowing red eyes. Does anyone have recommendations for a way to make glowing red eyes, that either i can put under my own, or a way to see through them? (i was thinking similar to jawa eyes.)

I did a budget Samurai armor/helmet build a while ago:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/japanese-samurai-armor-costume-193105/

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f...-9551179612_b678bcb37c.jpg-221990d1376952437t

Made with plastic "for sale" signs, parachute cord, some craft sheet foam, and posterboard. Made the helmet dome from several pieces of craft foam cut into triangular shapes, and the rim of the helmet was made from posterboard stiffened with fiberglass resin.
I used your quick tutorial when I did my first samurai Stormtrooper. Cheers except I used yarn since I needed so much.

For the glowing eyes effect I would maybe mimic how the Iron Man builders do it in the helmet or make the mask with larger eye area and leave yourself enough space to see over whatever lighting method you choose, leds etc

Ok, so after doing much review, i've decided because of cost, i'm going to just use 3mm Sintra for everything rather than eva foam. I can pick up a 4'x8' sheet for $25 and it's already black, so i have less to paint initially.
Been sketchin (horribly) each individual section out to see roughly how i need to build. Using the link above as a guide on samurai armor. It's ridiculous how much detail that the Suckerpunch guys put into this. Looking at screen shots, they didnt skip any details. It is a serious build.

I am going to cheat though. i need to make the arm sleeves as well have some leather for the lower body plates to hang off. So i'm going to rade local thrift stores for leather coats :) Find a nice old leather jacket that looks aged and cut it up. gives it a great look. i can just cut the sleeves, modify them, and add the few armor pieces i need.

Holy crap those glasses are awesome! they are definetly in the lead. would be simple to take em apart and put them under a mask. I was just thinking about hooking up some LED's so there's a little red eye, but i think these would be awesome!

Was playing with some patterns over the weekend. didnt make as much progress as i wanted due to sick kid, but I am going to pick up my 3mm sintra sheets tonight. also picked up a bunch of paracord over the weekend. So hopefully this coming weekend i can start marking and cutting out the pieces once i have some good paper templates. That samurai armor site has been absolutely awesome!

the 2 items i'm fighting with trying to figure out next is the mini gun and the helmet.
For the helmet there's 2 parts, the helmet and the mask.
1) the helmet either i'm thinking of making all from scratch using micarda method or buying a helmet of some sorts and adding onto the top using micarda.
2) the mask, i think i'm just going to buy a 300 replica mask, add on a bit to make it closer to the samurai helmet, and throw those gloplex glasses underneath.

As for the mini gun. i'm confident i can put one together using pvc... but getting it to spin is a different issue. just afraid i wont get it right. I did find a toy gatling gun i could mod...but wouldnt look as accurate.

Thanks, i think i found the 300 mask i'm gonna get. but mask and mini gun will be last on the list. Gonna focus on the armor first, since it'll take me a bit to get all the shaping down and then harnessing it all together.
On a new note, picked up two massive sheets of black 3mm sintra the other day. Cleaned the garage a bit yesterday, so hopefully this weekend will be the beginning of a great project.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back