"Arrow" Season One Build

Re: "Arrow" Season One Build *Pic heavy*

I believe for the hero bows, like the one shown at SDCC, the chock is slightly above the limb, but for the stunt (firing) bows I think it does rest on the limb, I say stunt as there is also no sinew around the brass hinge parts, its a stripped down prop, I suspect purely for firing.

Attachments

• arrow-green-arrow-27_zpse6f02514.jpg
    arrow-green-arrow-27_zpse6f02514.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,635
  • UnfinishedBusiness-014_zps181cf33b.jpeg
    UnfinishedBusiness-014_zps181cf33b.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 581

Not sure how many people have watched the bonus features on the SE01 discs, but there are actually now arrows fired in the show or even drawn, they're all CGI ;)

I believe for the hero bows, like the one shown at SDCC, the chock is slightly above the limb, but for the stunt (firing) bows I think it does rest on the limb, I say stunt as there is also no sinew around the brass hinge parts, its a stripped down prop, I suspect purely for firing.

This. There are several bows out there and not all are held to the same standard. By pausing in various episodes you can find bows with alternate hardware placements, alternate tape wraps, alternate sinew arrangements, etc.

Not sure how many people have watched the bonus features on the SE01 discs, but there are actually now arrows fired in the show or even drawn, they're all CGI ;)

Also this. At the SFX QnA Stephen bemoaned the fact that some Canadian liability laws cause them to have a "no arrow on set" policy the majority of the time, unless he needs one for a prop.

I'm not 100% but I have heard that they *did* fire at least one of these bows at the range, though I have no confirmation on that (Pinder may know more).

To answer how I solved the issue of arrow clearance:

The answer is twofold. First, I arrange the chock so that the very tip is approx 1/4" from the start of the lower limb, then I offset it laterally to the right of the bow by 1/8" and use epoxy to hold it in place.

Secondly, I raise the arrow rest hinge piece by about 1/4".

This results in being able to fire the bow with reasonable (though still close) arrow clearance on the chock.

The visual differences are negligible, particularly when placed next to the production bows with all their variations.

Last edited:

Ya they don't fire arrows they are all cgi. The do however dry fire the bow. Maybe that's why they have several made cause I'm sure those bows are no good now. Also does anyone know where I can get the jacket(s) that Stephen Amell is wearing in this pic? I found it on Instagram.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 289

Ya they don't fire arrows they are all cgi. The do however dry fire the bow. Maybe that's why they have several made cause I'm sure those bows are no good now. Also does anyone know where I can get the jacket(s) that Stephen Amell is wearing in this pic? I found it on Instagram.

Nice jacket and all but this isn't really the place to be asking as this is Christopher's build thread? Just saying :thumbsup

So I went out to Free Comic Book Day to premier a number of upgrades to the suit.

Accurate zippers, better coloration, added stretchy panels, and my mask.

Functionally, it went GREAT! Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, so I'm stuck scrounging pics from social media.

In any case, here's the first run with upgrades.

10307238_663724347032195_8592881271665503511_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, a lot better! Your costume looks a little darker green. Did you paint it? Also, when you get the chance, please take closeup shots of your costume, especially where the fabric lining is. I bet it feels alot more movable and breathable.

Work continues. Now that the Summer has started I'm digging into a few more difficult Arrow costume items and diversifying my costumes a bit.

The Deathstroke 2.0 look has grown on me, so I decided to have a go at the helmet. Hoping to get the first mold done up this weekend once I've finished tweaking, smoothing, and obsessing.. Should be a fun learning process.

10170871_4274147667345_223599691055509466_n.jpg10247193_4274147787348_8903984921785107885_n.jpg

Should be more updates coming soon.

Going to be a few cons in the early Fall with Manu Bennett and Stephen Amell locally, so I'm trying to rope friends into doing group costumes.

Nice, a lot better! Your costume looks a little darker green. Did you paint it? Also, when you get the chance, please take closeup shots of your costume, especially where the fabric lining is. I bet it feels alot more movable and breathable.

Thanks! Yeah, the costume got painted in an attempt to make it more green, less grey.

I'll get some better shots of the new fabric panels for you.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards some sort of Acrylic paint, but had not found the leather/vinyl specific kind.

Since we are sort of on the topic of the Arm quiver. I just finished my version of the arm quiver. Its pretty straightforward stuff, but in case anyone needs more help with that piece I'll post some info on how I did mine.

Here's my first quick attempt at the arm quiver. I used the one that came with my Leather costume, and turned it into more of a Season 2 look. Anyways, i ran out of time to work on it before the Sci Fi Expo. It served its purpose.

View attachment 291231

I started with a fore arm guard similar to this one.

View attachment 291233

I then cut pieces of cardboard, black vinyl (included with the original arm quiver) and some polyester scrap fabric I picked up at Johann's. Mostly used hot glue to combine the different layers. My arm quiver is approx 7 " long.

View attachment 291234

Then added the nylon straps and piece of Velcro.

View attachment 291236

The rubber arrow locking pieces I picked up somewhat randomly. I bought a cheap practice bow and it came with one 5 arrow lock. Then I purchased a cheap quiver and used the arrow lock from that. This is the one I used, Amazon.com: Bohning Sentry 3 Arrow Quiver, Black: Sports & Outdoors . Bohning also sells just the rubber arrow lock piece. Its not screen accurate but its close and cheap.

View attachment 291235

1/4 inch wooden rods work well, and fit the arrow locks. Painted the wooden arrows black/metallic silver. Then painted my Arrow vanes a lighter more yellowish green. Attached 2.25 inch Vanes/fletching to the wooden rods. The arrow vanes I used were these Amazon.com: Bohning 2.25-Inch Shield Cut X-Vanes (36-Pack), Neon Green: Sports & Outdoors

View attachment 291237

Then I used hot glue to attach the rubber locks to the nylon straps on the quiver. And added a few fabricated "arrow-heads".

View attachment 291240

I'm pleased with the results, its not screen accurate but its definitely closer than I was before, and a vast improvement from the original. Note: I purchase whatever i can through amazon simply because of the free shipping i get with amazon prime. :thumbsup

I don't know if this information was really needed, but everyone on this forum is so great and helpful. I wanted to contribute what little I could. Hopefully more to come as I continue to work on upgrading my Arrow costume.

Did both rubber parts come with it?

How did you make the hip quiver? What material did you use?

Like the back quiver, I used a piece of cardboard to give me a general shape and clad it in a decent looking faux leather vinyl. So far it's held up well, and it looks pretty good.

It's on the list of eventual upgrades, though lower than some others.

Did both rubber parts come with it?

Each quiver usually only has one rubber arrow lock, so you generally have to order two separately. At least, that's what I did. Luke may have other info.

Like the back quiver, I used a piece of cardboard to give me a general shape and clad it in a decent looking faux leather vinyl. So far it's held up well, and it looks pretty good.

It's on the list of eventual upgrades, though lower than some others.

Each quiver usually only has one rubber arrow lock, so you generally have to order two separately. At least, that's what I did. Luke may have other info.

Thanks man! My Arrow build is finally coming together! Couple more questions... Tvayumat what material did you use on the arm quiver besides the faux leather stuff? And how did you make the Arrow heads?

Last edited:
I actually used 3mm foamies and sprayed them heavily with plastidip. I made a template with plastic first though. My arm quiver consists of 6mm foam spray glued with pleather and 3/4 in elastic.

Hi. I need some help making my season 1 Ragim Matrix Jr Bow. I don't know how to attach my straight chock to the wood bow. Any suggestions? Do
you guys glue it on before adding the sinew and handlebar tape?
I also need help positioning the Straight chock correctly. When I place the straight chock where I think it should be positioned, the top of the Chock
blocks the brass strap hinge arrow rest so you you can't place the arrow on the arrow rest. Any suggestions on proper Chock placement?
thank you for any help you can provide!

Tvayumat, how exactly did you make the replica bow limbs? You have the 3 photos up but did you carve them out of wood first?

My first set were entirely made with fiberglass mat and polyester resin, with the tips sculpted by hand out of Apoxie sculpt.

I'm working on some newer plastic limbs, reinforced with fiberglass at present.

I don't know how to attach my straight chock to the wood bow. Any suggestions? Do
you guys glue it on before adding the sinew and handlebar tape?

The chock makes contact at two points, the first being toward one end of the riser where the tip of the chock contacts a curved surface, the second is underneath the tape wrap.

For the lower point, I carve a little notch in the wood for the edge of the chock to rest in, and usually dab some epoxy there to keep it in place.

For the second point, I flatten out the front of the riser where the flat back of the chock will rest, to give it plenty of surface contact. I then scuff up both surfaces plenty and apply a generous amount of epoxy between chock and riser.

I'll usually put in as much epoxy as I can get away with, since the tape covers that whole area pretty nicely.

I also use contact cement when attaching the leather bar tape, and wrap it as tightly as possible.

I also need help positioning the Straight chock correctly. When I place the straight chock where I think it should be positioned, the top of the Chock
blocks the brass strap hinge arrow rest so you you can't place the arrow on the arrow rest. Any suggestions on proper Chock placement?
thank you for any help you can provide!

The chock touching the arrow on the rest is an issue I've had to deal with too, but it can be corrected.

I deal with this in two ways:

1.) Offset the chock by 1/8 - 1/4" or so, just enough to give the arrow clearance. (this should also improve the feeling of the bow in your hand. Your fingers will naturally tend to push the chock to the right as they curl inward. A good way to place it is to hold everything comfortably in your hand and see where the chock rests)

2.) Raise the arrow rest hinge up by about 1/4" to elevate the arrow away from the chock.

Doing both of these will get you some wiggle room and allow your arrows to clear the chock no problem.

Thank you very very much for your pointers on attaching the Chock to the bow correctly.
. It will definitely help me get over this hump and finish my bow.. Cheers!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back