"Arrow" Season One Build

Re: "Arrow" Season One Build *Pic heavy*

Always good to see another new Arrow get inspired!

The rubber quiver pieces were really just whatever I could find quickly at the time. For now it's "good enough" since I do not know the original parts used or if they were custom made. I will likely end up cutting some of my own in the near future.

As for the locations of the jersey knit, consult the "Definitive CW Arrow" thread. There is a panel of jersey basically *everywhere* there is a seam, they are just very narrow. This makes the whole jacket expand/contract to fit tight.

The most important panels are under the arms as you describe, and a ring of fabric around the shoulder that connects the arm to the jacket. This fabric allows you to do stuff like reach behind your head, which is important for an archer. There is also a triangular panel on the arms themselves that ends at the cuff zipper.

I'll have detailed images posted of the mods I've made soon.

The hood they sell needs a color change and a few other mods. They use the right weight canvas, but they use an olive drab, what they need is more of a forest or hunter green. They also need to change the big rectangular panel sewn to the right side of the hood into a triangle, and replace the "arrows" going down the right side of the chest, but these are two details that are simple to do modify yourself, whereas fabric color is trickier.

Angelus brand vinyl/leather paint.

Wiped it on with a paper towel, used less than 2 oz, and thus far it is durable enough that I've had to destroy the vinyl to damage the paint job.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards some sort of Acrylic paint, but had not found the leather/vinyl specific kind.

Since we are sort of on the topic of the Arm quiver. I just finished my version of the arm quiver. Its pretty straightforward stuff, but in case anyone needs more help with that piece I'll post some info on how I did mine.

Here's my first quick attempt at the arm quiver. I used the one that came with my Leather costume, and turned it into more of a Season 2 look. Anyways, i ran out of time to work on it before the Sci Fi Expo. It served its purpose.

IMG_7025.PNG

I started with a fore arm guard similar to this one.

armguard.JPG

I then cut pieces of cardboard, black vinyl (included with the original arm quiver) and some polyester scrap fabric I picked up at Johann's. Mostly used hot glue to combine the different layers. My arm quiver is approx 7 " long.

IMG_7016.JPG

Then added the nylon straps and piece of Velcro.

IMG_7020.JPG

The rubber arrow locking pieces I picked up somewhat randomly. I bought a cheap practice bow and it came with one 5 arrow lock. Then I purchased a cheap quiver and used the arrow lock from that. This is the one I used, Amazon.com: Bohning Sentry 3 Arrow Quiver, Black: Sports & Outdoors . Bohning also sells just the rubber arrow lock piece. Its not screen accurate but its close and cheap.

IMG_7006.JPG

1/4 inch wooden rods work well, and fit the arrow locks. Painted the wooden arrows black/metallic silver. Then painted my Arrow vanes a lighter more yellowish green. Attached 2.25 inch Vanes/fletching to the wooden rods. The arrow vanes I used were these Amazon.com: Bohning 2.25-Inch Shield Cut X-Vanes (36-Pack), Neon Green: Sports & Outdoors

IMG_7021.JPG

Then I used hot glue to attach the rubber locks to the nylon straps on the quiver. And added a few fabricated "arrow-heads".

IMG_7043.JPG

I'm pleased with the results, its not screen accurate but its definitely closer than I was before, and a vast improvement from the original. Note: I purchase whatever i can through amazon simply because of the free shipping i get with amazon prime. :thumbsup

I don't know if this information was really needed, but everyone on this forum is so great and helpful. I wanted to contribute what little I could. Hopefully more to come as I continue to work on upgrading my Arrow costume.

Last edited:

Hey guys! I'm new to this website all together and plan to start my own Arrow Replica Bow this summer. I've saved the links to all of the different hardware to purchase in the future but I'm not sure what order to go about building the bow. This is how I would go about it normally and if you guys have any other recommendations on how to go about the build, please correct me!
1.) Acquire bow, Hardware, and Tapes (Obviously)
2.) Sand the Riser and Limbs Down
3.) Woodburn the symbols onto the Riser
4.) Stain the Riser and Refinish the Limbs(Includes Gold Limb Tips)
5.) Make Stainless Steel Chock a Brass finish
6.) Reassembly
I know these steps are fairly undetailed, but as a set of simple instructions for just getting started, is this a good plan? Please let me know your thoughts! Also, how would I go about the 6" Chock refinish? I noticed a post earlier on here, but they said they were probably going to redo it. Any new methods on that? And, You guy's are all doing fantastic (professional even) work! Thanks guys!

If you're going to use the Minwax stain:

1.) Do your woodburning FIRST. Minwax is oil based and I'm not *sure* but I think a hot iron would probably burn more than you want it to on oil-soaked wood.

2.) Consider a lighter color than I used. "Natural" seems like a good option.
I was wondering if you could help me out. You said you uses Minwax Classic American stain and sealer in one correct? Could you take a pic of the stain you used cause I have not been able to find that one. I was thinking of using another but some don't have the stain and sealer in one (for example the "Natural" color stain only comes in stain alone). I was thinking of using just natural stain or just a clear coat. What do you think it will look like if I did one of those options? Your opinion and info would be of great help to me! Thanks!

I was wondering if you could help me out. You said you uses Minwax Classic American stain and sealer in one correct? Could you take a pic of the stain you used cause I have not been able to find that one. I was thinking of using another but some don't have the stain and sealer in one (for example the "Natural" color stain only comes in stain alone). I was thinking of using just natural stain or just a clear coat. What do you think it will look like if I did one of those options? Your opinion and info would be of great help to me! Thanks!

This is the stuff, though I would note that the sealer is more or less incidental. Don't worry about getting a nice even finish, in fact an uneven finish is ideal.

This bow is *supposed* to look rough and unfinished, and I actually went ahead and gouged mine in a few areas with a pocket knife to muss up the surface.

20140302_004205.jpg

This is the stuff, though I would note that the sealer is more or less incidental. Don't worry about getting a nice even finish, in fact an uneven finish is ideal.

This bow is *supposed* to look rough and unfinished, and I actually went ahead and gouged mine in a few areas with a pocket knife to muss up the surface.

View attachment 292471
Thank you so much!!! This helps a bunch!!! So did you end up using a sealer?

I'm also a fan of Arrow and thinking about making a suit for myself. I've looked online and it looks like I could get all the parts seperately (jacket, pants, hood) and put them together myself. Do you think it would be worth it to do this or should I just buy the suit like you did?

Did some color corrections today. Swapped out the bar tape and artificial sinew. Still needs detailing but the bow is looking a little closer to how it should.

Before:20140115_231615.jpg

After:20140305_172806.jpg

I'm also a fan of Arrow and thinking about making a suit for myself. I've looked online and it looks like I could get all the parts seperately (jacket, pants, hood) and put them together myself. Do you think it would be worth it to do this or should I just buy the suit like you did?

That's going to depend on a lot of things.

Depending on how comfortable you are with sewing, patterning, and modifying leather vs fabric, one or the other could be better for you.

Personally, the fact that the vinyl suit was so much cheaper was a big selling point.

One way or another you're going to end up doing a lot of work yourself to get an accurate look.

Does anyone have just the hood/vest that Shado and Oliver wore on the island for sale? I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me out I'm starting my own suit and I'm new to this type of stuff thanks alot!

Might be a dumb question, but how did you go about tying the sinew without having an obvious knot showing? Also what was your process for making the con safe limbs out of fiberglass? (I would like to do something similar)

Thanks in advance.

Might be a dumb question, but how did you go about tying the sinew without having an obvious knot showing? Also what was your process for making the con safe limbs out of fiberglass? (I would like to do something similar)

Thanks in advance.

Superglue!

After researching how other folk and bow-makers use artificial sinew, I found that the best way to do the wrap was to wipe down the art. sinew with acetone (to remove the wax coating) then tightly wrap it and, when I'm done, drip some superglue over the sinew and wipe it on with my finger.

Lay the end flat someplace where it blends in and glue down, simple.

Haven't updated this thread in a while, mostly because the latest upgrades have been dragging out.

I'm no tailor, but my wife is helping me figure out the stretchable fabric panels for the jacket and pants.

I've swapped out the zippers and made a number of improvements but they're all hovering around 80% and I don't want to show them just yet.

In the mean time I've been working on some bow commissions, so I thought I'd share.

You can see the sinew contrast in the third pic. I switched from the Tandy sinew (left) to "Artmind" brand from Michael's (right).

progress2.jpg1962657_4089585813414_556614069_n.jpg1004834_4104832914582_1615073570_n.jpg20140322_210531.jpg

Haven't updated this thread in a while, mostly because the latest upgrades have been dragging out.

I'm no tailor, but my wife is helping me figure out the stretchable fabric panels for the jacket and pants.

I've swapped out the zippers and made a number of improvements but they're all hovering around 80% and I don't want to show them just yet.

In the mean time I've been working on some bow commissions, so I thought I'd share.

You can see the sinew contrast in the third pic. I switched from the Tandy sinew (left) to "Artmind" brand from Michael's (right).

View attachment 302655View attachment 302657View attachment 302656View attachment 302658

Wait, you're taking commissions? o_O how did I miss this and how can I get one haha

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wait, you're taking commissions? o_O how did I miss this and how can I get one haha

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

On a case-by-case basis and no more than two at a time, I certainly am.

I have far too much of my own costuming to get done to bury myself under a pile of bows.

Drop me a PM if you're interested and we'll talk.

"It was at this moment that the Starling City Vigilante realized that dual wielding bows doesn't work out quite as he had hoped, and immediately regretted skipping lab trials in favor of field testing"
1966857_4116593408587_721253051_n.jpg

Tvayumat i gotta ask as i've googled my brains out and come back with no luck but where did you get the hinges from ? being in the UK it's almost impossible to find a place here that sells them.

Tvayumat i gotta ask as i've googled my brains out and come back with no luck but where did you get the hinges from ? being in the UK it's almost impossible to find a place here that sells them.

Web_Slinger have you tried Ebay? I'm looking for the seller I purchased from to see if they ship internationally.

Edit:

This is the seller I purchased the Brass strap hinges from. Aside from the shipping being a little slow, I have no complaints. And according to their seller info, they ship internationally. Hope this helps!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400641625304?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:

Anyone seen stephen's facebook page showing him live tweeting sitting on the chair. Shows the costume pants really well

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back