"Arrow" Season One Build

Re: "Arrow" Season One Build *Pic heavy*

Work, work, work...

Unsatisfied with the bright yellow feathers next to my nice dark green ones, and with the news that the feathers used by production are custom-dyed, I set about experimenting with mixing pigments to dye feathers.

I ended up with a dark, burnt orange/gold with a little sheen after a few failures and, while not perfect, they look infinitely better than the "lemon lime" feathers, so I'll finish swapping them out today.
1947847_3986373473170_1162289377_n.jpg

Also decided to spend a few hours making a nice mount for my signed bow, as I felt stupid putting it away in a closet.
1798738_3986924486945_339034521_n.jpg

EDIT:

New feathers done. Much better.

20140215_235238.jpg

Last edited:

OH WOW! This sculpt is pretty screen accurate! I can't wait to see it finished! I'm very interested!

What type of stain did you use on the bow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After trying a lot of complicated answers, I decided to go for the ultimate shortcut and use Minwax combination wood stain and finish. Since it is an oil based stain, I wanted to do all my burning in advance, lest I immolate my new bow.

Read the thread...

Haven't updated in a bit due to the state of the project.

As you can see, everything is in a state of flux as I add stretchable jersey knit panels and re-color the jacket and pants.

Approaching deadline of March 8, so with luck there'll be a lot of updates then!

20140224_102307.jpg

The new shade of green is looking really good. Nice work!

Thanks!

It's a pretty stark difference, I think it will REALLY improve the overall look now that my hip and arm quivers won't be clashing with the weird brown/green/drab thing the suit had going on.

Tvayumat,

I've been looking into different ways to color my base leather suit, but haven't really settled on the best way to approach it. What method did you use for your jacket/pants? Looks great btw. Much better than the earthy green/brown look.

Managed to get the arm quiver and flechettes put together.

I'm going to revisit this one later when I've located the correct rubber parts and I get the Grizztrick 2 broadheads for the flechettes.

But this one is ready for Dallas SFX, and does the job.

View attachment 280657View attachment 280658View attachment 280659View attachment 280660View attachment 280661
Starting to do this build myself. Thank you for all the information here. What rubber parts did you use for the arm quiver? Or did you just cut some rubber pieces yourself?
I'm currently talking to cosplaysky, and they are willing to do the alterations to the costume, adding the jersey knit to the pants and jacket, so it moves and breaths better. What I can't tell is where the material is located on the jacket. I can see it go up the sides from the waist to under the armpit, but it looks like it is under the arm also?
Would you recommend the hood be a different color? From what I read yes, but not sure what color I should suggest to them.

Thanks Tvayumat

Maybe those arrow shafts are telescopic & extend to full length. Otherwise the quiver should be longer.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Actually there are 3 different types. The arrows he shoots which are in his back quiver. Then the flechettes which are on his arm, these are used just as daggers and for cutting stuff (like when Diggle uses interrogating Moria Queen). Then the ones in his holster. These are about twice as long as the flechettes and usually have something like a recording device on them and he also throws them (Oliver uses one to disarm Detective Lance and recorded Adam Hunt's confession.)

Starting to do this build myself. Thank you for all the information here. What rubber parts did you use for the arm quiver? Or did you just cut some rubber pieces yourself?
I'm currently talking to cosplaysky, and they are willing to do the alterations to the costume, adding the jersey knit to the pants and jacket, so it moves and breaths better. What I can't tell is where the material is located on the jacket. I can see it go up the sides from the waist to under the armpit, but it looks like it is under the arm also?
Would you recommend the hood be a different color? From what I read yes, but not sure what color I should suggest to them.

Thanks Tvayumat

Always good to see another new Arrow get inspired!

The rubber quiver pieces were really just whatever I could find quickly at the time. For now it's "good enough" since I do not know the original parts used or if they were custom made. I will likely end up cutting some of my own in the near future.

As for the locations of the jersey knit, consult the "Definitive CW Arrow" thread. There is a panel of jersey basically *everywhere* there is a seam, they are just very narrow. This makes the whole jacket expand/contract to fit tight.

The most important panels are under the arms as you describe, and a ring of fabric around the shoulder that connects the arm to the jacket. This fabric allows you to do stuff like reach behind your head, which is important for an archer. There is also a triangular panel on the arms themselves that ends at the cuff zipper.

I'll have detailed images posted of the mods I've made soon.

The hood they sell needs a color change and a few other mods. They use the right weight canvas, but they use an olive drab, what they need is more of a forest or hunter green. They also need to change the big rectangular panel sewn to the right side of the hood into a triangle, and replace the "arrows" going down the right side of the chest, but these are two details that are simple to do modify yourself, whereas fabric color is trickier.

Tvayumat,

I've been looking into different ways to color my base leather suit, but haven't really settled on the best way to approach it. What method did you use for your jacket/pants? Looks great btw. Much better than the earthy green/brown look.

Angelus brand vinyl/leather paint.

Wiped it on with a paper towel, used less than 2 oz, and thus far it is durable enough that I've had to destroy the vinyl to damage the paint job.

Actually there are 3 different types. The arrows he shoots which are in his back quiver. Then the flechettes which are on his arm, these are used just as daggers and for cutting stuff (like when Diggle uses interrogating Moria Queen). Then the ones in his holster. These are about twice as long as the flechettes and usually have something like a recording device on them and he also throws them (Oliver uses one to disarm Detective Lance and recorded Adam Hunt's confession.)

I've been idly taking notes on the different arrows and their uses.

The arm flechettes are, as you say, mostly used as a knife or cutting tool, but he also throws them to pop car tires and the like from time to time.

I've gathered that the thrown trick arrows may be the 15" hip arrows but the only two times I can recall him actually drawing and using anything from the hip quiver they've both been to stab people.

He stabbed the assassin that deadshot replaced in the chest with one during a fight, and stabbed Cyrus Gold in the leg with one when trying to save Roy.

They seem to just be "arrow themed" knives, more than anything else.

Possible this is where he stores his trick arrows, too.

Always good to see another new Arrow get inspired!

The hood they sell needs a color change and a few other mods. They use the right weight canvas, but they use an olive drab, what they need is more of a forest or hunter green. They also need to change the big rectangular panel sewn to the right side of the hood into a triangle, and replace the "arrows" going down the right side of the chest, but these are two details that are simple to do modify yourself, whereas fabric color is trickier.

Thanks for the encouragement. Doing costumes for the past 8 years, time to start on a DC hero. Got the Star Wars, the Doctor Who, Human Torch, Iceman. Wanted to pick between The Archer, the Speedster, or the Ring Bearer in the good ole DC universe. And GA won out, plus helped that I helped push my fiance to do Black Canary.

Pardon my eye, but I'm looking at reference pics and their pics and not seeing it. Their pic looks like the hood design is a triangle.http://cosplaysky.com/media/catalog...een-arrow-green-arrow-cosplay-costume-7_1.jpg I'm not seeing the right side of the chest.
Definatly have them go forest green on the hood canvas.

They have been willing to work with me on the changes. When I pull the trigger I can't wait to see the changes.

Since you're getting a custom-made suit, I would recommend having the knee/shin redesign to be more screen accurate. Notice the leather arrow patterns have fabrics between them.

36ee0652bcc03ac7971d011313da2cb2.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back