"Arrow" Season One Build

Re: "Arrow" Season One Build *Pic heavy*

Alright fellas, I need to take some time and write up a proper report on the Dallas Sci Fi Expo, but for the moment, I'm just going to throw some photos your way.

I was so focused on getting the costume done in the nick of time, my poses were rather limited and unpracticed :(

Stephen Amell was floored by my bow. I handed it to him to sign and he got this wide-eyed look on his face as he looked it over, held it by the grip, hefted it a bit and asked "HOW did you do this?"

I told him that I hunted down the same base parts as the bow he used in season one and he chimed in with "Oh I can tell, this feels VERY familiar."

I feel like this is the best compliment I could possibly have received, my "stoked-ness level" is off the scale, and probably will be for some time.

1509121_3963113451684_1359177884_n.jpgIMG_0387.JPGIMG_0756.JPGIMG_0765.JPGIMG_0758.JPGIMG_0723.JPGIMG_0745.JPGIMG_0779.JPGIMG_0777.JPG

Last edited:

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

I'm stoked for you, man. Looks like it was a good time!! And props from the man himself... couldn't ask for more. :thumbsup

That is so cool. Well done mate and congrats on your compliments from stephen amell.

i so frakking jealous :O
and it's indeed the best compliment you can get! I mean.. the person on which you based your prop on saying it feels familiar.
*Faint*

How much did it cost in total to make the suit (like on the pics)
and how much for gathering/making the bow?

Kaotik

Tvayumat, thanks for sharing your con photos. They're look great! Hope to see more pics of you in the coming comic-cons this year.
I have a question about the arrow shafts in the hip quiver. How come they are so short? Does Green Arrow actually use those with his bow or he just throws them with his hand?

Tvayumat, thanks for sharing your con photos. They're look great! Hope to see more pics of you in the coming comic-cons this year.
I have a question about the arrow shafts in the hip quiver. How come they are so short? Does Green Arrow actually use those with his bow or he just throws them with his hand?

Good question.

The arrows in the hip quiver *are* far too short to be fired from the bow, but that appears to be how the costume is put together.

I can't recall him ever drawing anything out of his hip quiver other than his "trick" arrows, but then they magically elongate to almost double the size of the quiver when he draws them.

I thought perhaps they were for throwing, but they have nocks on them... I honestly have no idea.

Maybe those arrow shafts are telescopic & extend to full length. Otherwise the quiver should be longer.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Alright, I have had a few minutes to gather my thoughts, only to have them scattered again by the news that Manu Bennett will be at the Heart of Texas con next month. Blargh! More work to do!

Right off the bat I have several notes from the Dallas SFX, many of which have been covered in the Definitive thread.

First of all, spandex. Spandex, spandex, spandex. I cannot stress enough how important spandex is to this suit. In order to look right, we took the jacket in quite a bit before the con around my forearms and shoulders, this resulted in me being unable to raise my arms much higher than my chest.

I can't say exactly which stretchable fabric the original suit uses, but for now I'll be using an OD spandex.

Apparently, spandex is the source of all the Arrow's power. I found some good OD 4-way stretch spandex on Ebay and ordered it yesterday. Over the next few weeks I hope to be able to cut every seam on my costume and install stretchable panels so that I can pose properly.

I also need to maybe tone back the depth of my hood, or wear it differently. My combination of eye makeup and low cowl was remarkably effective as an identity concealer, which is *cool* but... I'd like to see a bit more of my eyes in the future.

Fletching... I am not... *NOT* happy with my bright yellow feathers. I tried to hide them amongst the dark green but.... meh.

Today, I am heading out to get some mask making supplies for a Slade island mask, and getting some supplies to dye white fletching feathers. Time to figure out the custom mix to get the golden feathers.

i so frakking jealous :O
and it's indeed the best compliment you can get! I mean.. the person on which you based your prop on saying it feels familiar.
*Faint*

How much did it cost in total to make the suit (like on the pics)
and how much for gathering/making the bow?

Kaotik

Thanks!

The suit was purchased for about $160 US, delivered in two weeks, and then modified for fit and appearance. I continue to view it as my "starter suit" to get all the features just so before I have it replicated in leather.

Add some more to that number to account for the hood, which was patterned and built from scratch.

The bow was probably $250 in materials.

Last edited:

Tvayumat,
Questions about the costume you bought: does it have the stretchable fabric between the pleather? If so, is it pattern like this?
SuitCrossSection_zps4efdeb75.jpg
It looks like it based on close up pictures from the vendors' ads. I hope it makes your makes your suit more breathable cuz the one I bought last year is all pleather which was sweaty.

DSC_0218_zps4c825f1b.jpg

Tvayumat,
Questions about the costume you bought: does it have the stretchable fabric between the pleather? If so, is it pattern like this?
View attachment 285730
It looks like it based on close up pictures from the vendors' ads. I hope it makes your makes your suit more breathable cuz the one I bought last year is all pleather which was sweaty.

View attachment 285729

Unfortunately it does not.

The fabric panels on the legs are a heavy ounce canvas with no stretch.

However, this *does* make modifying the pants easy, since they at least have the fabric panels even if they are the wrong material.

The jacket lacks the fabric panels completely, but I suspect it won't be too hard to split the seams and add a narrow strip of spandex in the stitching pattern shown in the definitive thread.

I hadn't thought much about breathability just because it has been cold lately here but... adding all this spandex *will* make the suit a lot more breathable.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back