King Kong (1933) props? Gas Grenade or anything else?

My Kong bomb.
16232758179_68a360460b_b.jpg

Rylo said he planned to do some casts and would contact everyone. That was a year ago. Maybe someone can ask him if he is ready to start this, as it seems there's enough interest.

Sean

Bummer this thread is withering away for such a great item. I guess I will have to try & build one based on internet photos.

I'm a long time 1933 Kong collector and over the years I've obtained several castings of props from Kong including the Kong armature skull, the head of the Stegosaurus and from Mighty Joe Young, the face of the original Joe puppet...Here are recent castings that I've made and sold on ebay if anyone is interested...Being a serious collector myself, I've hunted high and low for these pieces, especially the Kong skull...

Kong A.jpgKong B.jpgKong C.jpgStego 1.jpgStego 2.jpgStego 3.jpgMJ 1.jpgMJ 2.jpg

Kong A.jpg

Kong B.jpg

Kong C.jpg

Stego 1.jpg

Stego 2.jpg

Stego 3.jpg

MJ 1.jpg

MJ 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was curious if you know any more about the history of these castings? not yours exactly but who is responsible for doing the steg & joe back in the day. BTW--I have the joe too.

From what I understand, the Joe casting was taken by the late stop-motion animator, David Allen...Not sure if the Stego was taken by him as well...I think the Stego might have been taken when the prop was owned by Forrest Ackerman.

Well I finally got a gas bomb replica. It was my x-mas gift to myself. I still find it strange that there seems so few of them out there.

Attachments

• IMG_6696_2.jpg
    IMG_6696_2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 118
I've had one of the gas grenade castings for few years now. Yes, it was offered by D.Stines and yes, it is a casting off the original.
Celboy, yours looks like one of the castings. Nice score on an iconic prop. -Ed

Its my understanding that its (1 of 2) cast with Forry's permission back in 92. The mold created gave birth to more.... I would think.

Yes, there were many more that came from that mold. Stines used to sell them on ebay. Many of the items that were cast from Forry's originals made it into the collecting world. Another example is the Ymir from 20,000 Miles to Earth. There, supposedly, were only 2 made....they're everywhere anymore. I remember hearing Ray saw one of the castings at a convention and wasn't happy to see it was being offered as a resin kit.

Does anyone have a readable copy of the grenade blueprint made a while back?
The one I have is small and blurry.

I was talking to a friend that does wood work yesterday that said he could try making me one if I could give him the dimensions.

My measurements with a caliper are extremely close to the blueprint of the bomb.

The only discrepancy is in the eyebolt blueprint. Mine is not an eyebolt with a copper "what I would call" keychain-like ring that goes beyond completing its circle.
My pin is only 1.6 inches long and the ring does a complete circle back into the other end of the head of the pin. It sits 5/16 above the top of the bomb. The outer diameter of the ring (1/8") is 1.5825 inches.

But I think its also possible the "pin & ring" of replicas may not be truly accurate & common already existing hardware may have been chosen to keep prices down. The bomb itself was "more important".

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back