Cable (Marvel) costume build. Need advice on latex and other manliness things

sauranas31

So I'm not sure this is the right area. Anyberries.

I'm working on making a Cable costume (http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/xmensecondcoming.jpg) and I want to make his arm. I've decided to make a latex arm, but I've never worked with it before and I have a few questions about the process. This is what I have laid out for now. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere!

1. Plaster strips on my arm. Cut off and mold back together.
2. Clay on the outside to create the "strips" of metal on his arm.
3. Jelly it up and pour Alginate. Take out the clay and plaster.
4. Pour latex into Algi mold.
5. Enjoy compliments on badass latex arm.

My main questions are along the lines of what brands to use for the plaster, Alginate and latex. Is there good, better, best?
In doing my proper research, it was suggested that I make the arm in three different pieces (shoulder bell, bis/tris, and forearm) for mobility. With latex, I didn't think I would have much of a mobility problem, though. Am I wrong?
I know it's best to color the latex before pouring to make it easier to paint afterwards, but what kind of paint should I use for the silver? Rub 'n Buff? Tamiya acrylic? Some sort of lacquer?
How thick should the clay sculpt be?

Also, was considering creating latex boot covers, but would making EVA foam boot covers over motorcycle boots be a more viable option? I'll be using Worbla for the shoulder armor and an old police duty belt with attachments for the utility belt. Kinda stumped on what to use for the harness, though. My thoughts had me drifting toward using thriftstore leather belts cut up and attached to different buckles. And of course I'll be painting Nerf guns and have a Nerf bandolier.

Thoughts? Comments? Any advice is greatly appreciated. This will be my first major attempt at costume making.

Well I decided to just go ahead and start it. Here's what I have so far.
cable arm wrap.jpg
cable arm wrap off.jpg
Cable arm.jpg

I'm sorry I don't know anything about latex but I'm really interested in seeing this made. I've been thinking about making something similar for a while now but haven't settled on a method yet. Looks like a pretty start. Shouldn't there be more grooves though?

Yeah, there should. I'm thinking about adding more when I sand the clay down. Had some cracks in it this morning when I woke. More work to be done!

Just a note: you're going a little backwards here. Technically, you make the cast of your arm like you did, and then fill it with plaster and raffia or burlap, so you have a proper cast of the arm-as it sets, you would put it on a base of some kind for easier handling. Then, sculpt the clay on the cast of your arm. Then, cast that, making marks along the edges so you have a way of lining up the edges later. Then, remove the cast, remove the clay, and put the outer cast on the inner.
As far as use of alginate goes, for this project you don't really need it. A little smoothing with something like Goof Off or Goo Gone and a paint brush should make the clay sculpt smooth enough. But, if you still want to, any brand will do. I might suggest using moulage-it is the same as alginate, but reusable.
For the latex, pick some up at a carpet-layer's supply store if you can-cheap and plentiful:) do less coats at the inside of the elbow.
And yes, foam for the boot covers should work just fine.
Hope this helps!

Just a note: you're going a little backwards here. Technically, you make the cast of your arm like you did, and then fill it with plaster and raffia or burlap, so you have a proper cast of the arm-as it sets, you would put it on a base of some kind for easier handling. Then, sculpt the clay on the cast of your arm. Then, cast that, making marks along the edges so you have a way of lining up the edges later. Then, remove the cast, remove the clay, and put the outer cast on the inner.
As far as use of alginate goes, for this project you don't really need it. A little smoothing with something like Goof Off or Goo Gone and a paint brush should make the clay sculpt smooth enough. But, if you still want to, any brand will do. I might suggest using moulage-it is the same as alginate, but reusable.
For the latex, pick some up at a carpet-layer's supply store if you can-cheap and plentiful:) do less coats at the inside of the elbow.
And yes, foam for the boot covers should work just fine.
Hope this helps!

Hmm. I haven't seen it done that way. Is that so there is proper fitment of the latex? I was just going to paint/pour it into the cast. I don't think I'm up for trying to making dividing walls and joining latex.

Looks like I'll be sculpting the arm anyway. The clay dried, cracked and fell apart into about 9875398 pieces. I used a block of regular kids air drying craft clay. Is there a specific type of clay I should be using? Also, I went with Ultracal 30 for the outer cast. I'm going to combine it with some cut up rags for extra support.

Yeah, you probably want an oil based clay so it won't dry out in the air.

If you use a water based clay you have to make sure to cover it with moist towels or something of that nature so it doesn't dry out.

If you do another attempt you might want to do all your muscle tone sculpting first and then sculpt in the metal line details after you're happy with the base sculpt.

Good luck, look forward to seeing the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. I haven't seen it done that way. Is that so there is proper fitment of the latex? I was just going to paint/pour it into the cast. I don't think I'm up for trying to making dividing walls and joining latex.

Looks like I'll be sculpting the arm anyway. The clay dried, cracked and fell apart into about 9875398 pieces. I used a block of regular kids air drying craft clay. Is there a specific type of clay I should be using? Also, I went with Ultracal 30 for the outer cast. I'm going to combine it with some cut up rags for extra support.
Okay, here we go-the rags should be fairly porous or it won't stick well with the plaster-cheesecloth, burlap, etc. Don't use the plaster on your skin, it has chemicals that could burn you-you should use plaster bandage for that(the ultracal is good for the positive mold). Try to find Chavant clay,it works quite well and smooths well with the orange oil products I mentioned.
As to your first question, yes, it is so the cast of your arm is an Exact copy. You don't need to join the latex(whatever that means haha!), but the two-part mold will be a Godsend when you try to remove the cast.
Follow the proper steps and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Start with a good cast of your arm, then use the proper clay to sculpt the details.
Everybody is here to help. so let us know any questions you have!

First of all, notice that he did an all-over one piece mold, and it didn't really work out. The two piece on the legs will be so much easier to clean the clay out of.
T o explain "Outer on the inner" means this:your positive mold is the plaster cast of your arm-in this case, the "inner". It was what you sculpted Cable's arm detail on. Then, you will have made a plaster cast of that, or, an "outer". So, now you have a positive cast of your arm, and a negative cast of what you want your arm to look like. Put the inner inside the outer, and the air pocket between them is where the latex goes. That way, the inside fits you perfectly, and the outside looks exactly like what you want it to. This technique is usually used for foam injection purposes, but for yours, keep applying coats of liquid latex, maybe 6-8 coats, then some fibrefill. this will make it fit pretty well.

AHHHHHH, ok. I got it. For some reason the part about filling the inner cast was throwing me off. I ordered some Chavant clay (NSP medium?) so I'll get back to it when it arrives! Thanks again for the advice! I'll update soon-ish.

<sigh> After a whole string of bad attempts at making a latex arm, I'm thinking of calling it a day and just using strips of aluminum over foam for the arm. I wanted something more... realistic? than foam or the like. Eh. One more attempt at the latex arm. I haven't even started on the rest of the costume <whine>

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back