Star Trek USS Centaur studio scale

I'm attaching a photo I took a few days ago after I got out my Stargazer build and Centaur build. They both have a coat of white primer on them at this time.
15874812_367437016947884_5287455050134698381_o.jpg

I do hope to get back working on both of these soon. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Here are some detailed photos, including the comp I gave to Eaglemoss which is intended somewhat as a guide to the level of desaturation of the final printed image. There are strong color variations in the original shooting model that were intended to be reduced in the final color grade, such as the strong blue and overwhelming copper parts.

Centaur-Bottom.png

Centaur-Detail01.png

Centaur-Detail02.png

Centaur-Detail03.png

Centaur-HowToShootAModel.png

Centaur-Top.png

Centaur03-sm.png

Furthermore: A number of the detailed pieces were added to the bottom of the dish after Gary Hutzel asked to use the ship for his episode. We discussed the shots and realized that there would a need to shoot the underside of the dish. I knew this meant we needed more detail and as these shots were never going to see the ship moving slowly, I was very "bold" in my choices of greeble detail. I wanted to make sure that the detail would show when the ship was moving at high speed. Now, in the stills, they are not as well laid out nor as aesthetic as the other detail greebles.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing those - it's fantastic to see the source material! Your treatment worked great, the details read just right in motion, and with motion blur.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!! WOW!!! To finally see these final bits of detail...what Barnstormer said, everything worked great!!!

In the three weeks since Adam Buckner posted the high res pics of his Centaur model, I have been able to identify many of the correct parts used originally on the Centaur, specifically those used to the Reliant rollbar. Those items are from the 1/32 scale F-15 E Strike Eagle, specifically the main landing gear. I was able to purchase two complete sprues on eBay with those parts, plus several of the parts used on the bottom of the main hull. I just received those sprues today and have removed the old parts I had originally thought were correct. I'm attaching a photo I took with the new parts in place but not permanently attached. Click on the picture for a larger view.
20170206_173650.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff!!! It's fablious to see the the Centuar modeling! I also love the "Franken Fleet" pics. Looks like a lot of work is going into this build, us older Trekkies love this sort of stuff... Kind a digging on the pristene-ish/just out out of the yards look of stevielewis' picture above.

Keep the sunny side up!
-Chuck

Thanks Chuck! Barnstormer and I have been working on our respective models since 2005 when we first started identifying the small "greeblies" used on the Centaur. I hope someday soon to go back and repost the earlier pictures I had up in this thread so anyone who reads up on it can see the past "progress" and what turned out to be the wrong items. Keep in mind, we started this when High Resolution photos were not even around yet. We did most of the identifying by looking at fuzzy or grainy screen captures with all the motion in them, and many of those screen caps were poor quality, bad lighting, and motion blurred. So to finally see the High Res photos Adam Buckner took of the studio model was totally awesome. In all, I have not been able to identify the small rectangle with two circles that is in front of the lower hull planetary sensors. If anyone cares to make a guess, or might know what kit that is from, please post it here. Thanks again for looking.

stevielewis

20170209_090833.jpg 20170209_090610.jpg 20170209_090718.jpg 20170209_090756.jpg

These were the types of online pictures we used to figure out the greeblies...many of the pics were smaller and not as clear as these...so you can see why it took so long to track down the final few parts needed to finish our builds...
USS Centaur NCC-42043 01.jpg USS Centaur NCC-42043 02.jpg USS Centaur NCC-42043 03.jpg USS Centaur NCC-42043 04.jpg Centaur How To Shoot A Model 03.jpg Centaur How To Shoot A Model 02.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing work and a huge thanks for the many years of research.
I'm a bit lost tracking down the flat rectangular panels near the v like shape F-15 landing gear parts on the top surface of the roll bar?
I've tracked down most parts except that and the piece near the sensor dome you mentioned above.

Thank you for the compliments. The flat rectangular panels near the "V" like shape F-15 landing gear parts on the top surface of the rollbar is from the 1/35 scale Tamiya 20mm Flakvierling gun. It's one of the floor panels turned upside down. And the piece in front of the sensor dome is from the 1/35 scale M2A2 Bradley. The part is on the TOW missile launcher optics. I just identified that part a couple of days ago. I hope that helps you out. As soon as I receive my M2A2 kit and get that part added to my Centaur build I will be posting a few new photos. Good luck!
The part from the M2A2 Bradley is circled in red.
02 M2A2 Bradley part.png02.5 M2A2 Bradley kit.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that, started looking up M2A2 kits today already. If it's not too much trouble I'd love to see some close photos of the "neck" joint. I'm interested in seeing how the roll bar joins to the saucer. I'm worried about cutting away the torpedo pod to join them.

Unfortunately, cutting away a good portion of the top of the rollbar weapons pod will be required. I will post some photos of that area to show what I did to achieve the look required. Stay tuned. Also, you will have to cut away some of the rear main hull under the impulse engines to get everything to fit correctly.

Great thread. Love the work being done here. I may have a go at this ship. I've got one question, though. In the thread Steve mentions a 1/32 scale fighter "Those items are from the 1/32 scale F-15 E Strike Fighter" but doesn't mention which manufacturer. I went looking at kits on Ebay, and I thinks it might be the Revell version of the F-15 E in 1/32 scale. Can someone confirm. Thanks.

-emojo5

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, emojo5. I had forgotten that I looked that up and it is the Revell version of the 1/32 scale F-15 E Strike Eagle. Sorry for the omission. Here is a picture of the box cover for this kit...

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got the last piece of this build from the 1/35 scale M2A2 Bradley kit today. Here are some pics with it in place, as well as several showing how I cut down the rear of the primary hull under the impulse engines, and how the Reliant weapons pod was cut up. Also a pic of the bottom of the rollbar showing the F-15 main wheel halves in place. Click on the pics for a larger view.
20170218_134404.jpg
20170218_134654.jpg
20170218_134605.jpg
20170218_134509.jpg
20170218_134304.jpg

Last edited:
This makes me wish I'd kept all those old trek kits as i had a Reliant and an excelsior. That's some amazing detective work IDing the parts.

Thank you Wes. It has taken 12 years to identify all these parts and "greeblies". I'm happy to have found them all. Next to do is to paint it and finally connect the two main parts. Stay tuned.

Oh WOW! This is awesome!!! I guess I have some kits to buy haha. I did take one liberty and made the Klingon engine parts symmetrical with each other.

15585434_747914218689368_7009080528072336188_o.jpg

15591656_747914222022701_6442005513157195551_o.jpg

Your build looks great! If you still have the large scale Maquis model, you'll need a short sensor strip, like the ones on top of the main hull, to add in the recess in front of the Weapons pod/secondary hull. You will also need three Enterprise-B "Dekoids". After that you'll need the 1/32 scale F-15 Strike Eagle and the 1/35 scale Bradley. Those two kits will supply you with everything you need that's missing. Good luck.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back