Stormtrooper pepakura (first build)

Dontknowaname

About two weeks ago I was looking for something to make my girlfriend, seeing as Christmas is right around the corner. She is a star wars dweeb, and so I was looking in that area. Then I came across the world of pepakura, and set off on my own adventure making a pep stormtrooper helmet. I used the PDF files from SpaceCowboy because I couldn't get pepakura to work with wine on my mac. But I printed off the files and then get to work. It took me about a week to finish the pepakura, and that was way longer than I expected. The lack of tabs connecting the pieces gave me a hard time, and because I have a mac I couln't see where the pieces had to go. But in the end I got everything working out. I bought some Bondo, and a bondo fiberglass kit, which includes resin, and that is where I stand as of now. If there is any way anyone can help, that would be amazing.
View attachment 266686View attachment 266687View attachment 266688View attachment 266689
I definitely have a lot of work to do with the bondo, the side tubes and such are way off, input would be amazing!

You Must leave the gap for the tooth open, or your complete faceplate will have wrong proportions!

If there is no hole for the teeth, should i cut them now? BecAuse i didnt have the pep beiwer, so i didnt know what it was suppOsed to look like. I saw someone else that bondoed and everythibg first, and then cut in the frown and inserted the teeth, and thats what i was thinkibg about doing, but this is my first so im still kind of lost.

Go and get the Pepakura Viewer, it is for free!

Without you always have to guess how something maybe have to come together.

There are already the "teeth" on the printouts, so you maybe glue them in the gap to get the right distance.

get the pep viewer!! i think that a version for mac has to exists!
all the time that you use improving the helmet on the "paper phase" is time that you will gain on the "bondo phase"

There isnt a version for the mac that works on my computer, and i dot have access to a pc, so i dont know what to do. Is there a way you could post pics of the pep veiwer thig of each poece for me?

I just resied the whole thing about an hour ago. I cut the teeth part so that its opened, but the resin made it fall a bit, pictures later. I sont know yet if i can use fiberglass, so eithwr that or thw bondo will staet tomorrow

I have a question about the resin. Will the smell go away? Because I resined it yesterday at 5:30, and its 9:23 in the morning, and it's still pretty potent. Will it go away when I bondo?

IMG_6173.JPGIMG_6172.JPGIMG_6171.JPG
I cut the "frown" And made it more symmetrical, but the resin caved it in a little, I'm gonna have to fix it somehow

IMG_6174.JPGIMG_6175.JPG
First layer of bondo, and in the middle of sanding. I have a lot of work to do, the dome is caved a little, and the frown also caved. I'm planning on getting something similar to milliput (any suggestions?) And filling stuff in. I have a dremmel so that I can get all of the spots I couldn't by hand.

Also, my mom is freaking out about the smell, will it go away before it's done and going on my girlfriends head?

The Faceplate looks somehow collapsed or "sucked together" because you don't leave the gap of the frown open!

Polyester Resin should be used in a well ventilated area! Always wear respirators when using it!

my mom is freaking out about the smell, will it go away before it's done and going on my girlfriends head?

It all depends of your mixture temperature of the room humidity etc. but an average resin curing time goes from 48 to 72 hrs. take the helmet outside or just live it in the garage and don't work on it till there is no more harmful smell and don't worry once the resin has had to cure the smell will go away.

It all depends of your mixture temperature of the room humidity etc. but an average resin curing time goes from 48 to 72 hrs. take the helmet outside or just live it in the garage and don't work on it till there is no more harmful smell and don't worry once the resin has had to cure the smell will go away.

What about the bondo smell? Im doing it in my garage with thr door open amd a fan on, but
Its still really potent

Bondo smell should go away as soonest the bondo start to dry. with bondo the fastest you get the bondo to warm up the faster the smell would go away. blowing cool air to bondo provably is not doing more than prolonging the drying time. if you or your parent are not comfortable with the smell you provably should be thinking on getting a respirator mask or wait until the warm summer days.

Since this is a presenr i have to go quicker than i would like, so i did the last of the bondoing and sandimg, ill prime and finish it after tomorrow. Pictures later, happy holidays!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back