The Definitive CW Arrow Thread

My thoughts were the other way around actually, that the base item is a cast brass or cast bronze with a chrome plating that was removed, explaining the "flakes" of chrome on the SDCC one. Of course, I could be *seeing* it backward, and it could in fact be stainless showing through a brass paint job.

The chock is definitely cast stainless. And I suppose I shouldn't say it is chromed either, as it is just polished on the one side. I too looked at many brass (and stainless) chocks. None of them had the correct shape that the Sea Dog has.

The chock is definitely cast stainless. And I suppose I shouldn't say it is chromed either, as it is just polished on the one side. I too looked at many brass (and stainless) chocks. None of them had the correct shape that the Sea Dog has.

Yeah, that's what I kept running into as well. The shape was always different and the price was always 10x.

Can I ask your thoughts on making the bow both look good and be "non functional" for the purposes of cons?

I've been contemplating this myself. I don't have much experience with bows, but I know that the shape of a strung bow is very different from an unstrung bow.

I was thinking of creating replacement fiberglass limbs based on the resting position of the strung bow limbs and just replacing them that way, then swapping the bowstring for elastic. That way (I think) you would have a bow that looks right, can be fully drawn, and is still non functional for the sake of convention security.

I've never tried to carry a bow at a con before either, so I could be overthinking things.

That's a good question.

I've never actually been to a Con. My costumes get worn at Halloween and hung back up in the closet. The only security I've had to deal with in costume is getting into bars, and they've usually always been very lax.

Your method is pretty much exactly what I would do though. Granted, it's entirely possible that even that setup would get you booted before you even enter. I don't know.

Well, I'll give it a try and see how it works. What's the worst that can happen? /fiberglasssplinterineyeball

Hoping to have mine ready by Feb 8th.

Last edited:
Excellent work on the gloves, just ordered mine :) Regarding having a working bow at a con, are you planning on having actual arrows? I imagine there is a stunt quiver, with just arrow shafts sticking out, this is what I will be looking to make, with perhaps one stunt arrow, possibly made in resin or FG, that I can load onto the bow for display only

I'm not sure, but I would imagine security would be hesitant to allow a strung, functional bow into a con even if you had no arrows at all.

Fiberglass limbs put bowstring under a lot of tension, and people could get hurt if the string were cut or someone pulled it back and dry fired it, not to mention the potential damage to the bow itself.

I'm trying to anticipate the worst possible outcome and plan for it well in advance of any overbearing security type.

I'm sure there are people here who have carried bows at major cons before though, so maybe one will chime in.

I took my PSE Mojo from Smallville to Dragoncon with no problems. My arrows were fake though...

Currently it now has elastic cord. I am not sure about every con but being prepared is not a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARROW HARDWARE: PART 2

I have it on good authority that the arrows used for production are custom made by the Archery Tech for the show. That doesn't necessarily mean that the components they are made from are custom though.

I had decided to start digging into the nocks used on the arrows. Not being any type of archery/hunting person, I had no idea what I was looking for. Thanks to Art Andrews for posting the amazing, and very large, reference pictures of the costume from SDCC in The RPF's Gallery, I found this picture.

arrow-green-arrow-04.JPG

If you look at the full sized version, you can make out the logo on one of the nocks... an "E". An E? Remember, I'm not an archery guy at this point. What brand has an E for a logo? It's got to be some exotic company that no one has ever heard of, right? NOPE. It's just Easton. You know, the company that makes sports equipment for pretty much every sport imaginable.

And these just so happen to be Easton's Super Nocks.

Screenshot2013-12-19at55814PM_zpsf0242486.png

Easy right? NOPE!

Easton had apparently changed their "E" logo in the last year. Instead of E it is now E (Italicized for those who didn't catch the difference :p)

If you're a stickler for screen accuracy, you're now looking for old stock. On a throw-away part like this, it is very difficult. However, since it is a throw-away item, I bet they will be using the newer logo'd nocks on the show at some point. Also note that the same nocks are seen on Oliver's back and thigh.

I lucked out an found a seller on ebay that had a few of the older style left over. They didn't even realize that the logo had changed! :lol

1B269C42-93DB-4CF6-94C1-F2F3A44C7E5B_zps56ulbe56.jpg

246A9AA5-49C3-45D9-8DF7-698FEE7A0A0B_zpsec9nyggc.jpg

With that many, I should be able to put together a very complete set of arrows. :cool

Going back to where the Chock attaches to the Bow, in the photo from his Facebook page it looks like there is something being used as a spacer between the Chock and the bow, like a thin strip of foam or something

Just some help for those of you who don't want to sew together a set of shoes to boots, Nike SFB is the same shoe/tech you will still need to add the collar to the top of the boot.

Going back to where the Chock attaches to the Bow, in the photo from his Facebook page it looks like there is something being used as a spacer between the Chock and the bow, like a thin strip of foam or something

You mean this little guy here? Looks like a strip of something gray. Could be a small piece of foam between the chock and the bow, but I haven't seen it anywhere but here.

foam.jpg

soooo, with the boots..you have looked at tacticals, parkour...have you looked at wrestling boots? Olympic sport boots? just a suggestion ;)

This is a great thread and thanks for all the info
What are people doing for the costume it's self. Myself I'm going with a leather maker to make mine then will have my local tailor go over it just to make it as close as it can be.

Personally I am working with a company on the details next month and going through everything to make the jacket and pants. I'll have more information about that in the coming months for sure.

I've had some help IDing the leather type and colour as well as the secondary material. All to be revealed soon :)

I've talked with two makers. First can replicate the suit 100% but ony have the black leather that over time they said will weather to the green. I'm not 100% sure it would weather green. They wanted $1000

Where the 2nd use a green leather but I know I will need my tailor to go over it. They want $360.

Ha! Seriously! They want you to go black and hope it weathers green??

My maker will be the right colours and tailoring for sure, or else I move on lol. My two contacts are around the same pricing but we will see for sure!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back