The Definitive CW Arrow Thread

Olive Drab? Maybe a really dark olive drab? They look black to me.

Also do we know the brand/length of shaft used and brand of fletching?

OD = Outer Diameter. I suppose many arrow manufacturers will label these as a 16XX (the first 2 digits, 16, would mean 16/64, which equals 0.25... the last 2 digits are the wall thickness in thousandths of an inch).

Shafts are flat black, and I'm leaning toward aluminum rather than carbon fiber, but that has not been confirmed.

Length of the shafts should be able to be calculated for accuracy's sake, but that is also one of those areas that I say deviation to properly suit the end users draw length should be the goal (assuming that end user wants to actually pose with a drawn arrow/shoot the arrows, etc). If you're just looking for a display, that's another thing.

Length of the fletching on the back/hip arrows is 2.75-3". The fletching on the fletchettess (forearm) is ~2" long. No confirmation on brand yet, but I'm getting close.

Last edited:
Shafts are flat black, and I'm leaning toward aluminum rather than carbon fiber, but that has not been confirmed.

Length of the shafts should be able to be calculated for accuracy's sake, but that is also one of those areas that I say deviation to properly suit the end users draw length should be the goal (assuming that end user wants to actually pose with a drawn arrow/shoot the arrows, etc). If you're just looking for a display, that's another thing.

Length of the fletching on the back/hip arrows is 1.75". The fletching on the fletchettess (forearm) is ~2" long. No confirmation on brand yet, but I'm getting close.

Hip arrows are also noticeably shorter than the back arrows, coming in somewhere around 15-16" max length, most obvious here.

View attachment arrow-green-arrow-04.JPG

I'm not so sure about those fletching lengths. To my eye the fletching on the back/hip arrows is at least one inch longer than the fletching on the flechettes.

This picture is taken from the SDCC shot of the back of the costume, with all the various fletchings side-by-side and on the same scale.

sizecomparefletching.jpg

Back/hip arrow fletching is almost certainly at least 3-4" parabolic while the flechettes are 1.75"-2" shield cut. Also worth noting that each back/hip arrow has three fletches, two green one yellow, each flechette has two green. Flechette shaft before adding broadhead is 6" long, not certain on the hip but I estimate 15", and for the back I'm just going with my draw length.

Also, in a recent episode Barry remarked that the Arrow uses carbon fiber shafts, and could increase penetration if he switched to a carbon/aluminum composite shaft. Obviously this doesn't mean the prop guys use carbon fiber but, for the sake of canon I will be.

This, to me, says carbon shafts for the pretty arrows and wooden dowels for the deco arrows.

Last edited:
Hip arrows are also noticeably shorter than the back arrows

Agreed... clearly.

The 1.75" fletching measurement I posted earlier, should've been 2.75" (brain fart) and came from scaling the nocks (a known size) with the arrows being "held" in the display's right hand. This is also where the 0.25" shaft came from. The picture you posted comes to a 3" long fletching on the back arrow. Weird.

Also, in a recent episode Barry remarked that the Arrow uses carbon fiber shafts, and could increase penetration if he switched to a carbon/aluminum composite shaft. Obviously this doesn't mean the prop guys use carbon fiber but, for the sake of canon I will be.

I can understand your thought process here. But then again, do you really believe the bow Yao Fei was using on the island actually had a 150# draw? LOL Taking what characters say on the show and relating that in any way, shape, or form to reality is a prop making no-no that you learn on day one. :p

Last edited:
Among other things, here is my reasoning for backing aluminum.

Screenshot2014-01-25at103142AM_zps90a75489.png

That is either the threaded insert or the edge of the shaft being exposed. Take it as you will.

I am still trying to confirm from production sources.

EDIT:

The shafts are NOT aluminum. This was just an incorrect early speculation.

Last edited:
I'd recheck your reference. 3-4" is massive. The 1.75" came from scaling the nocks (a known size). This is also where the 0.25" shaft came from.

Checked and re-checked. Trust me, I size everything to known objects. Using the nocks and broadheads in question, the fletching on the back/hip are no less than 3" long.

3" is also a standard and generally available size of parabolic fletching length, so it definitely isn't an odd choice.

I can understand your reasoning here. But then again, do you really believe the bow Yao Fei was using on the island actually had a 150# draw? LOL Taking what characters say on the show and relating that in any way, shape, or form to reality is a prop making no-no that you learn on day one. :p

No more than I believe Ollie can do *any* of the things that he does with a youth bow. No more than I believe that he can fire a magic arrow that simultaneously binds someone's feet and trails an unbreakable line with hand hold. No more than I believe that Stephen is actually firing arrows, which he generally isn't. Reality is not a word that shoots into my mind when I watch Arrow.

Personally, I'd say that relating anything in any superhero show to reality in any way is a pretty big mistake :D

With that in mind, since carbon fiber is the only confirmed in-universe "canon" shaft that I know of, having a carbon fiber "posing" arrow seems logical.

It'll certainly be good to get definitive word on what shafts they have been using. I'd put money on whatever was cheapest.

Checked and re-checked. Trust me, I size everything to known objects. Using the nocks and broadheads in question, the fletching on the back/hip are no less than 3" long.

Yeah, that 1.75" was a typo on my end. My brain isn't working well this morning and remembered wrong. I was getting 2.75".

Just saw your edit.

Yeah, we are on the same page just thrown by a typo.

.25" doesn't seem like an impossible discrepancy considering each picture is from a different angle.

Among other things, here is my reasoning for backing aluminum.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/pinder91/Screenshot2014-01-25at103142AM_zps90a75489.png

That is either the threaded insert or the edge of the shaft being exposed. Take it as you will.

I am still trying to confirm from production sources.

I can see where you're coming from pinder91, but in my experience (but by no means expert xD ) with archery and knowing somewhat how production offices are, I think this may be the threaded insert on a carbon fiber shaft. They look too even and clean to just be exposed aluminum and we all know how production offices like to save money!

Hey I'm not sure if this has been covered or asked but is there any store or website where you can just get a prop bow and arrow because I'm not sure if they'd let me walk into comic con with real one?

I think this may be the threaded insert on a carbon fiber shaft. They look too even and clean to just be exposed aluminum and we all know how production offices like to save money!

What makes you say carbon? I can't say I've looked very hard into it, but I've not really seen any carbon shafts in the proper size (0.25" OD) that could fit an insert without having a ridiculously thin wall.

The problem here is that a threaded insert would look the same in either type of shaft

I agree with you here. The picture being no help, I'll agree to disagree.

Hey I'm not sure if this has been covered or asked but is there any store or website where you can just get a prop bow and arrow because I'm not sure if they'd let me walk into comic con with real one?

It's simple enough to modify a takedown recurve like this to be non-functional.

I made new fiberglass limbs in the shape of the strung bow limbs.

Once strung, it has almost no draw weight since there is no tension on the limbs.

20140115_231036.jpg

I've got a build here:

http://www.therpf.com/f77/arrow-season-one-build-pic-heavy-203902/

Last edited:
The thing is, once you have anything like this regardless if draw weight it can project objects.

If a convention has a problem with bows at all, even fake ones will have issues.

I took a compound to dragoncon with zero problems though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is, once you have anything like this regardless if draw weight it can project objects.

If a convention has a problem with bows at all, even fake ones will have issues.

I took a compound to dragoncon with zero problems though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The inevitable encounter with the overcharged, stressed out, overbearing security type who would rather fail everything that he sees than embrace any sort of liability is a constant pitfall in this and many other hobbies.

I get it, it's better to err on the side of caution than let someone get hurt.

I try to make anything that looks dangerous clearly and demonstrably safe, and in case Captain Safety isn't the reasonable sort, backup suits are *never* a bad plan.

View attachment 278858
can anyone translate what the writing on the crate is saying

I've been trying to get translations on this.

Most of them result in the first word being maybe "Ten" and the second being a number of things, then complaints that the script is too flowery, and ultimately declaring the writing to be gibberish.

I've had folk fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese look at it and come up with the same answer: "It's nonsense"

I'm hoping it does mean something, they just chose a font/script so cluttered that it's indecipherable.

When asked on Facebook, one of their prop guys simply remarked "the fun is in not knowing" which says to me the answer is either A.) going to be explained later in the show or B.) it's just some writing they put on the box to make it look the part.

Last edited:
What makes you say carbon? I can't say I've looked very hard into it, but I've not really seen any carbon shafts in the proper size (0.25" OD) that could fit an insert without having a ridiculously thin wall.

Well, like I said, I'm by no means an expert, but I do have some experience with the sport. Like you said, it is possible to find carbon arrows with a 0.25" OD, but they probably won't fit an insert without a thin wall, but carbon arrows are way more sturdy than aluminum. Most aluminum arrows would have to be straightened after a few shots, and they're also much heavier than carbon. Granted, they don't do a whole lot of actual shooting on set, but to me it just makes more sense that they would use carbon arrows so they wouldn't have to worry about straightening them or editing them later. Still, if someone has different (confirmed ;p ) information, I'm happy to be proven wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

When asked on Facebook, one of their prop guys simply remarked "the fun is in not knowing"

Ok, nothing against you guys, but I'm seriously jealous of all the contacts in television show's production/prop departments you guys seem to have. How can I establish connections like this for myself (one of my aspirations is to be an actor like Mr. Amell haha)?? :confused

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back