T'is the season! Luke's Holiday Special lightsaber!

Re: WHY?!? Cuz t'is the season. Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber build! Post Suggestio

I always thought it was a red light, not a red button.

One of those bowl shaped, old fashioned bulb lights.

Re: WHY?!? Cuz t'is the season. Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber build! Post Suggestio

You may be right. I searched around today for both, only came up with this. Part of my pushing this til after Christmas is to take the time to find proper parts.

I was actually looking for a larger led I could have light up... So far no luck. Button looked good though, so grabbed that if I can't find better. Figured its in the spirit of the graflex red button.

Looks like you're making great progress there :)

I think some of the earlier builds just used a red, domed button.

Excellent seeing this progress being made between X-mas lunch and X-mas dinner ... counting down till new years eve :)

Chaim

Well not MUCH to update on... way too much to do on my house during my work break, didn't get much time to work on the holiday saber...

But I did get the shroud done... for the most part.

I messed around with different versions of this, but settled on the two part version, using a thicker metal than I would say is in the original pics. The graflite flash is really thin metal, and I felt that if the shroud were just as thin, it would look kind of crappy.

So I cut the two pieces, roughed them up a bit to look a little more like the graflite....

I also cleaned up the flash, cleaned off the grime... and that's it!

Next I'm going to remove the print from the handle, and then repaint/touch up the black where the shroud will be, and add the other two "squares" wich I'm pretty sure are painted on arrows. I'll have to see how that goes.

I am also waiting on a red bulb I ordered for the bulb next to the shroud...

slowest quick build ever.

Last edited:

... though I have not seen the special holiday edition ... I love your work in progress sofar ... I do have this type of graflite flashgun since it came with my very first graflex camera. Can't wait to see this one finished any time now.

Chaim

Looking good !

What did you decide on the control box?

really nice built here. Will looking forward to see the final result.
Thanks James for sharing those pics.

Thanks all.

As for the control box, I'm going to have to create my own... likely out of styrene. I have a few ideas to make it look like what I'm assuming it looked like in real life. I'm pretty sure it's an toggle cover of some sorts... for some tool or something. Hopefully get to it this weekend.

Looking good !

What did you decide on the control box?

Yikes... February...

Well Valentines was sort of a holiday!

I have NOT forgot about this masterpiece... I just haven't gotten around to finishing it off. Mostly because I live in a small condo where I have nowhere to paint and outside it's always pouring rain or freezing cold...

But here's where it's at...

12598462905_da8c0526fb.jpg

12598465485_936bcccf5d.jpg

12598894694_ee1bd2051a.jpg

Notes!

*I did arrows up the side rather than rectangles... to me it looked like it was arrows in the pics. I may take another shot at them down the road, as they are *slightly* off... My stencil making abilities for an arrow that small kept failing me.

*The red bulb didn't fit as I liked, and now kind of looks like a cherry from a police car...

*So I need to pick up a proper sized O-ring, and finish the control box. I've made a few control boxes now, and none of them I've been happy with. I've tried to make it look good while still maintaining the design in my reference pics... but the closer I get to it, the uglier the control box looks. So I think I'm just going to go with a hybrid of the clunky wide design in the pics, with what you see on ROTJ luke sabers and ANH sabers.

No point making this look worse than it already does.

If some day someone finds out what that control box actually is, I'll just pop it off and replace.

Last edited:

Double post...

Last edited:
Re: WHY?!? Cuz t'is the season. Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber build! New pics

WOW...I´ll be using your pics to redo mine :thumbsup

Markus :)

excellent built sofar ... like your bluescreen as well :)

Chaim

Looking really good! :thumbsup

Which is quite an accomplishment with this particular sabre... ;) :lol

Thanks all...

Hopefully will finish the "control box" this week.

I should also mention I inserted pvc plumbing parts inside to try and weigh it down a bit. The metal is really thin on this, and the hilt felt paper thin compared to the Graflex hilts. Those parts, and glue, also hold the back piece with the O-ring holder in place.

The thin metal graflite is also why I used a thicker metal for the shroud then the original saber had... it just looked really cheap with a thin shroud.

Alright! Finished. Not messing with this anymore.

I finally got a control box I was happy with. I Tried to keep it as close to what I could make out in the pictures, while still having it look good. I also used the control box design from Luke's ROTJ saber, and the MOM Vader ROTJ as inspiration...

I actually finished that a few weeks ago, I was just waiting for an O-Ring to arrive in the mail, since I couldn't find a good one locally. It's a little big compared to the ring in the picture, but oh well, looks good to me.

So not sure which of my unfinished saber projects I'll start on next, but I figure I'll just continue on in this thread...

Re: FINISHED (post 38) - Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber build! 03/29

That looks really fantastic !

I've really got to build up my Graflite someday, I hope it looks as good as yours does.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back