Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 13, 2017, 1:51 PM - Re: UK foam builders, what are you using? #26

Hi,
    I am really interested in learning more about the template you used, methods, tools and materials too, as I'm interested in having a go at exactly the same thing.
    Looks amazing Mate, looking forward to seeing your progress!
    Dave

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    From
    London, UK
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 7:02 AM - Re: UK foam builders, what are you using? #27

i use the floor mats bought from Halfords, You get 6 in a pack for 10, usable surface area 57cm x 57cm x 10mm (that is after removing the jigsaw pieces)
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2017
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 4:34 PM - Re: UK foam builders, what are you using? #28

mushroomskull said: View Post
    i use the floor mats bought from Halfords, You get 6 in a pack for 10, usable surface area 57cm x 57cm x 10mm (that is after removing the jigsaw pieces)
    Do you find 10mm too thick for some work?
    or do you use the 10mm for selected parts, and use thinner for smaller pieces?

How does the Halfords mats hold up to heat shaping etc?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    From
    London, UK
    5 Days Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 7:54 PM - Re: UK foam builders, what are you using? #29

Do you find 10mm too thick for some work?
    or do you use the 10mm for selected parts, and use thinner for smaller pieces?
    yes sometimes its too thick, but it depends what you're going for...

How does the Halfords mats hold up to heat shaping etc?
    i find it shapes quite nicely.. you need to get that 'feel' where you can soak a lot of heat into it evenly without burning (i find long kinda long 'tai chi' speed back and forth over the whole sheet then flipping it over and repeating a few times works for me, you have to be patient to get really good results! and usually more soaking on the convex side)
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2010
    From
    Langotft, near Peterborough, UK
    4 Days Ago  Dec 7, 2017, 7:33 AM - Re: UK foam builders, what are you using? #30

If you want some thin material - for finer detailing - Hobbycraft & Range sell A3 & A4 size sheets of 2/3mm thick.
  6. Member Since
    Nov 2017
    From
    Liverpool
    15 Hours Ago  Dec 11, 2017, 9:53 AM - Re: UK foam builders, what are you using? #31

We can recommend our PE45 foam, PE30 EVA foam or our PEM30-X foam sheets for props and cosplay.

- PE45 - 45kg/m density. "smooth", closed cell foam (same density as LD45)
    - PE30 EVA - 30kg/m density, "smooth" closed cell foam with EVA additives (makes the foam more elastic)
    - PEM30-X - 30kg/m density closed cell foam with coarse cell structure (for detailing)

Foam sheets available online in 2m x 1m in varying thicknesses. Please visit our shop (www.foamrite.co.uk) if you need more details!