A Christmas Story - Leg Lamp 1:1 Scale Replica

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I don't buy many props, I prefer to make them myself. But...

A Christmas Story is my favorite holiday movie and I've been eyeballing the Leg Lamp on Amazon for at least a couple of years. I pulled the trigger on it last week and it arrived this week. It came in two boxes, one for the shade and the other for the leg. Both boxes were labeled as they were in the movie: "His End Up", "Fragile" and this-end-up arrows pointing in multiple directions.

This major award has a place of honor in our front living room window. Tah Dah!

11355995304_d676825156_c.jpg

11355958406_758a6237c1_c.jpg

11355991904_0cde918a58_c.jpg

Happy Holidays everyone!

I've been wanting to get one of these, but the wife won't budge, even though it's one of her favorite films as well...:(

I thought about just getting it, but I know she'll "accidentally" break it...

I've been wanting one as well. And my wife said it's okay (we're out of glue). But I don't know which one to get. Are there any that are accurate?
The one in the movie, the leg goes all the way to the butt cheek and the stocking/lampshade/shoe are all details that I'm not 100% on. Anyone know?
also, are they all licensed? You can get them from leglamp dot com and christmas story house dot com, just didn't know if they were the same company.

I've been wanting to get one of these, but the wife won't budge, even though it's one of her favorite films as well...:(

I thought about just getting it, but I know she'll "accidentally" break it...

We were visiting my parents up in Ohio a few years back and we stopped by the Christmas Story House as it was only an hour away from where I grew up.
My wife saw that I was interested in the leg lamp and bunny suit they sell, so she grabbed an employee and told her to wrap one of each up to go.
I have a cool wife:thumbsup
She did that with the full size Neca ET at the mall and the Diamond Select BTTF Flux Capacitor... I saw it in ST Augustines and she just said, "you want it? Wrap it up!" :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've been wanting one as well. And my wife said it's okay (we're out of glue). But I don't know which one to get. Are there any that are accurate?
The one in the movie, the leg goes all the way to the butt cheek and the stocking/lampshade/shoe are all details that I'm not 100% on. Anyone know?
also, are they all licensed? You can get them from leglamp dot com and christmas story house dot com, just didn't know if they were the same company.

There are many makes that are not accurate.
The best you can get is from Red Ryder Leg Lamps,
Owned by Brian Jones who restored the CHRISTMAS STORY HOUSE. Those you buy in the gift shop or on their website.
They offer different sizes and they are not all accurate.
You want the "deluxe" model which has the right shape, knee, butt cheek and shade.

We were visiting my parents up in Ohio a few years back and we stopped by the Christmas Story House as it was only an hour away from where I grew up.
My wife saw that I was interested in the leg lamp and bunny suit they sell, so she grabbed an employee and told her to wrap one of each up to go.
I have a cool wife:thumbsup
She did that with the full size Neca ET at the mall and the Diamond Select BTTF Flux Capacitor... I saw it in ST Augustines and she just said, "you want it? Wrap it up!" :)

- - - Updated - - -

Owned by Brian Jones who restored the CHRISTMAS STORY HOUSE. Those you buy in the gift shop or on their website.
You want the "deluxe" model which has the right shape, knee, butt cheek and shade.

The 50" from Red Rider is as close as you will come. It has the butt cheek and the knobby knee. It does differ slightly, however, in the shoe and base. If you look at the movie prop, the shoe and foot of the leg are not quite as high as the Red Rider lamp.

A while back, somebody had made a very screen accurate model with the lower heeled shoe. Didn't buy one then, can't find them now...

The 50" from Red Rider is as close as you will come. It has the butt cheek and the knobby knee. It does differ slightly, however, in the shoe and base. If you look at the movie prop, the shoe and foot of the leg are not quite as high as the Red Rider lamp.

A while back, somebody had made a very screen accurate model with the lower heeled shoe. Didn't buy one then, can't find them now...

Yep... As I stated the 50" Deluxe is the closest to screen used at this time ;)

Yep... As I stated the 50" Deluxe is the closest to screen used at this time ;)

Maybe not. I may have to recant my previous post. Just found this one, but it's kind of expensive at $280. Anyway, you can see the difference:

Leg Lamps - Leg Lamps - LEG LAMP ''A Christmas Story'' ONLY Accurate Reproduction

leglamp-cheek1.jpg

I'd be interested in hearing whether others feel the same as I do about the shoe and heel on the Red Rider compared to this. Again, it's a $100 more, but maybe it's only money.

Maybe not. I may have to recant my previous post. Just found this one, but it's kind of expensive at $280. Anyway, you can see the difference:

Leg Lamps - Leg Lamps - LEG LAMP ''A Christmas Story'' ONLY Accurate Reproduction

View attachment 283072

I'd be interested in hearing whether others feel the same as I do about the shoe and heel on the Red Rider compared to this. Again, it's a $100 more, but maybe it's only money.

Too bad someone doesn't come up with a conversion kit to help make them more accurate for those that already bought the 50" one.

Too bad someone doesn't come up with a conversion kit to help make them more accurate for those that already bought the 50" one.

I'm guessing it would be a whole rework of the lamp. With the lower heel shoe and different foot angle, it seems you'd need to have a completely different leg, and the saved parts would be the shade, base, and wiring.

My guess is that Red Rider is using a more readily available or commercially produced leg, and so that's the difference. Not too many people would notice of even care $100 worth.

My two cents is that any leg lamp needs the butt cheek, but I'm not so sure the higher heel would be a deal breaker for most. Of course, if I had the extra $, then the lower heeled version is the one I'd take. But you're getting near $350 once you add shipping in....

Thanks for posting the link to the more accurate leg lamp! This has been a running gag in my family since the movie came out. One year my mother gave me the small desktop version, I call it my "Minor Award". But I've been wanting a full size version to go with my other Christmas Story prop collection I'm accumulating.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back