Venom

If Tom Hardy wasn't the lead, that teaser would definitely have sent this to the "wait for Netflix for when you have nothing else to watch/do" list. Big fat meh.

One question that comes to mind is how they are going to integrate this rated material into the MCU.A big contrast so far with the Spider-man Homecoming movie

I liked the Venom in the old McFarlane Spidey comics - his origin/first appearance.
But he got old pretty quick. I honestly don't understand what fascinates people so much about this character...

I liked carnage better, shape shifting weapons

I don't believe this this is an MCU project at all?
Not initially,but I assume they want Venom to have a first encounter with Spider-man in the MCU at some point since they are connected through the comics.Or is that reserved for a later timeline when Peter Parker has grown up? I cannot imagine Venom not being part of the MCU story eventually (especially now that we're 'going Intergalactic' with Thanos getting involved),just because Venom can do quite some (gruesome) damage and there may be kids watching.As if the Scorpion wouldn't do that,and he has already been introduced at the end of Spider-man Homecoming,not to mention Hawkeye with his remark in Avengers 1 :"I need a distraction...and an eyeball" ,then Loki following up on that with his appearance in Germany.If you ask me,the MCU has already been rated for graphic content/language.

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read it but this is the start of Sony's own MCU since they still have a few characters but I can't remember who all exactly.

Spiderman is still theirs just used as an agreement with marvel. I don't think its ever been mentioned what all came with that deal or how much crossover there'll be from the joint movies like Homecoming and standalone Sony pieces.

Not initially,but I assume they want Venom to have a first encounter with Spider-man in the MCU at some point since they are connected through the comics.Or is that reserved for a later timeline when Peter Parker has grown up? I cannot imagine Venom not being part of the MCU story eventually (especially now that we're 'going Intergalactic' with Thanos getting involved),just because Venom can do quite some (gruesome) damage and there may be kids watching.As if the Scorpion wouldn't do that,and he has already been introduced at the end of Spider-man Homecoming,not to mention Hawkeye with his remark in Avengers 1 :"I need a distraction...and an eyeball" ,then Loki following up on that with his appearance in Germany.If you ask me,the MCU has already been rated for graphic content/language.

Yep, this sony universe is a thing of its own. Tom Holland has stated that he is not involved wirh this or the upcoming black cat and silver sable movies. Which is why people are so opposed to this movie; they're doing Spider-Man universe without Spider-Man.

Perhaps bring Andrew Garfield back as Sony Spider-man? Tobey McGuire? Or someone different altogether? Characters related to Spider-man need a Spider-man figure to (inter)act with.

Last edited:
It's a bit like the ABC and Netflix series. They are made to line up with the MCU films, but the films don't mention or include the shows. This is done mainly so that casual audiences won't go into the movies and see a bunch of references they don't get.

Amy Pascal has said that Sony will be making their "MCU" films align with Marvel's, but Marvel isn't beholden to reciprocate. Tom Holland is still Peter/Spidey, though I don't expect him to actually show up in Venom (he might, we'll see), but I am hopeful the symbiote has something like the original comic origins, which would tie it to Peter before it finds Eddie.

--Jonah

Leaked teaser

BC1C3C69-3562-4763-BE35-34919FD2EEA4.jpeg

Wait, the accent is on the second syllable? sym-BI-ote? I've been pronouncing it SYM-bi-ote for decades.

I noticed that too. I've always gone off of how Spider-Man The Animated Series would pronounce it. I think its the whole Ra's Al Ghul things between Arrow, Batman TAS, and TDKR

I'm actually looking forward to this. Tom Hardy rarely disappoints!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back