Yoda VD lightsaber discussion

Looking for a brass screw close to the original Praco? And I mean close? I used this in my Bolsey that I just finished and it is almost 100% spot on. No more mikumi motorcycle jet parts. You may want to take 1/32" off the diameter of the head and obviously probably shorten the threaded section a bit. (Only of you are making it into a functioning Yoda lightsaber like I did)

http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-hand...ring-bolt-male-1-4-dia-x-50-l-8-32-brass.html

Hi, complete noob here. Nice find! What do you mean by take 1/32 off?

The side wall of the top of the screw, in other words the diameter of the top of the screw is just a bit big. When I say big I am only talking 1/32" to possibly 3/64". Nothing a little sandpaper can't fix. I chucked mine up in my lathe in a jig that I made in order to save the threading. Within 5 minutes it was the perfect size. This screw will work/fit in a Bolsey as is but it may extend just over the silver portion of the hood therefore a little sanding will make it the perfect size.

Looking for a brass screw close to the original Praco? And I mean close? I used this in my Bolsey that I just finished and it is almost 100% spot on. No more mikumi motorcycle jet parts. You may want to take 1/32" off the diameter of the head and obviously probably shorten the threaded section a bit. (Only of you are making it into a functioning Yoda lightsaber like I did)

http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-hand...ring-bolt-male-1-4-dia-x-50-l-8-32-brass.html

I ordered two this morning. Still no confirmation email, etc. Did you have this issue?

I ordered mine back in July and it took a couple of hours but I did get a confirmation e-mail. You may want to check with them.

The side wall of the top of the screw, in other words the diameter of the top of the screw is just a bit big. When I say big I am only talking 1/32" to possibly 3/64". Nothing a little sandpaper can't fix. I chucked mine up in my lathe in a jig that I made in order to save the threading. Within 5 minutes it was the perfect size. This screw will work/fit in a Bolsey as is but it may extend just over the silver portion of the hood therefore a little sanding will make it the perfect size.

Thanks! Just ordered a set!

eeerrrr so i ventured out today. beautiful fall day i took my old 21 speed i've had since i was in 5th grade.

got to ace and here is the smallest they got

72e32843a06a14d8b57070bc0fd88aac.jpg

failed search... it wasn't a wasted trip because i got more 10-24 screws for my R2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was wondering... i'm working on my praco today. quickly going over the whole thread last night i couldn't figure out the oil pan location. some put it left to the double square hole, and some put it to the right.

i'm under the impression the VD has the holes to the right so it will look like this
aea56da65ddeb34db9ee8dfd35c1eb89.jpg

is this the correct way of mounting the oil pan for a praco replica?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The little screws from Midwest Knifemakers Supply came in today!

bd21029b5d683b260c4773f160a4caae.jpg

These will be perfect! Thanks again for the heads up on them, t1made!

Fantastic! These by far are the best that I have seen. They look really big on the web pics and in yours, LOL, but they really are rock solid to a very close replica to the original Praco brass screw. Glad I could help!

Thanks, sir! I just need one more oil pan and am waiting on more PEM nuts, then I'll sell off the second one, too!

I only need one of these little guys, but they sure are fun to build! Takes a lot to get them just right and find all the correct screws. The first one I built (years ago) is the one in the middle of the group shots. Totally missed the mark drilling the hole for the PEM nut!

When I finally get around to selling that one, it'll go for a discount because of that!

EDIT: Forgot to mention another problem with the one in the middle. When I first disassembled the Bolsey, and removed the "clamp" from the top, I noticed that the "emitter shroud" part had been previously broken. Someone had tried to repair it with aluminum tape, and did a terrible job. I had to get real creative with some sheet aluminum and super glue to repair it! It's better now, but you can still see a seam line where it broke, and I'd say it should be treated very delicately!

So, there's yet another reason that when I do end up selling that one, it'll go for cheap!

Last edited:
Those are looking great!

Where are people finding the right PEM nut these days? Or even one in the ballpark? I see a few candidates on ebay but none of the 440 size look the right thickness (or style).

BTW, that brass screw on a real Praco has a diameter of 0.249 according to calipers :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back