Ghost Rider WIP

Darthvince

This is my first post on the forum. I wanted to show the WIP of my Ghost Rider costume. I really wished I had taken more pictures when I was building, but cant fix that now. For starters I found the Motorcycle jacket and boots on eBay for super cheap. The next step was the mask. I ordered the "fractured skull" mask from specter studios. That was the easy part haha. Next I made the bracers from leather and adorned them and the jacket with some sweet steel spikes I also found on eBay. The toughest part for me (and everyone else on here haha) was figuring out how I wanted to do the flames. I knew right away that I didnt want to do the wig/hair fire on the mask like a troll doll and I knew I didnt have the resources to mold and cast them. So I finally settled on using a sheet petG plastic and hand molding it. I went with 24'' x 48" 6mm sheet of petG that I ordered online. Traced out a rough patern on it and went to work with my dremel. I designed the flames to act like more of a collar so it would look like my head is completely engulfed by flames. :D I molded it with a heat gun and cold water. The stuff molded like a dream it was super easy to work with comparable to Sintra..but its clear. The next tough task was to figure out how the heck to paint it. I wanted to keep its translucency but I wanted the flames to be vibrant. After many days of trial and error. I found the best solution. I mixed up food coloring with Glossy Finish Mod Podge and got painting. It took about 25 layers or orange red and yellow to get the desired look. I then sealed the whole thing with some poly-acrylic sealant to waterproof it. I added a black fabric skirt around the base to help it stay on under the jacket and to cover some spots around the neck that didnt lay just right (I should have used my body form to make sure it would fit right but too late now haha) Finally looked like ghost rider. The gloves were a combo of fingerless motorcycle gloves and some skeleton gloves from the halloween bargain bin. For the chain I went to Lowes and got 12' of plastic chain. The only issue was it was black, so I had to paint it silver then I added some yellow and orange to give it that "fires of hell" look.

For the most part it is a complete costume. There is a big Convention coming up this spring that I want to debut this at, but first I want to make some improvements. I want to add a spiked belt. I also want to wire up some flickering LEDs around the collar to make the flame glow. I also want to make a latex skull appliance to wear instead of the mask (that thing is HOTTT aplus the heavy leather jacket equals one very sweaty me!!) But I would love some feed back from anyone on the forum!! Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• jacket bracers mask.jpg
    jacket bracers mask.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 790
  • chain.JPG
    chain.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 359
  • complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4,397
  • cut sheet.jpg
    cut sheet.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 295
  • detail cut.jpg
    detail cut.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 337
  • face fixed.jpg
    face fixed.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 646
  • first mold.jpg
    first mold.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 682
  • flame back.JPG
    flame back.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 356
  • flame front.JPG
    flame front.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 414
  • gloves.JPG
    gloves.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 361
  • uncut sheet.jpg
    uncut sheet.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 405
Great idea for the flames!

My main suggestion would be too weather and age the look of the skull. Looks too clean and bright white.

Fantastic! I agree that some weathering is needed on the skull. Any attempt to add flames to the widows peak area on the skull?

Awesome stuff :thumbsup agreed with above comments the skull would benefit from some dirtying and weathering, but other than that amazing work :thumbsup

Good job! I agree that some weathering on the mask and/or suit would help....the kind of charred weathering on Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance movie.

Looks great,
I have two suggestions though.
Maybe weathering on the skull would help.
And did you try using a small LED light on the inside of the jacket collar to really light up the flames?

I did the same mask and jacket combo, without the fire still working on that ..Looking good.. get some black accryllic water based paint and wipe on a little then and wipe off till you get the look your looking for. I'd also trim some of the nose and eye holes too.. I wore it to a night event in sunny South Florida it is a hot costume... ...nice work !

That's easily the best looking interpretation of the flames I've seen in a Ghost Rider costume. I agree on the lights suggestion... and if you could program them to flicker in a fire-like manner (maybe with Arduino) that might put it over the top.

Looks like a good start, a hidden LED collar would be great, like one of those Fake flame pots for Halloween, but with more LEDs, If you know someone that can program a chip, have them make them flicker a bit and your set.

Can I ask where you go the spikes for the shoulder pads from? I can't seem to find any that are big enough :(

Also struggling with some cost effective boots at the moment.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back