Deunan Knute from Appleseed Ex Machina

aprilstorm

Hi,

Im using or reusing and in some cases modifing the 3D models I have found and in others making my own.

The models have come from a number of sources, most notably from someone known as ThrottleKitty via Toja

I can model just fine, but Im a strong believer in reuse and I will share everything I make so others can benefit as do I.

-----------------------------

Im a strong believer in sharing these 3D models so others dont have to go through the same pain. I will be publishing them on thingiverse for others to download.

http://www.thingiverse.com/AprilStorm/designs

her sword for 3D printing:

Fullscreen+capture+24102013+85333+PM.bmp.jpg

I print in ABS, so its easy to cut up a model into multiple parts then glue back together:
Fullscreen+capture+25102013+80311+AM.bmp.jpg

I am using acetone to weld(melt) the parts together to ensure it wont break when we play with it. Basically I have a dish which i fill with acetone, soak the part in it so it melts a little then glue together. Its basically a weld, its probably stronger than the printed part itself.

I could stick a rod down the centre, but I like to keep things light and Im convinced the ABS will be strong enough on its own.

P1230136.JPG

P1230170.JPG

Next I worked on the Sebura M5 Technically this isnt the most common pistol for Deunan in the movies, though she is seen using one for the TV series, so thats good enough for me until such time as I model something to match her movie outfit closer.

P1230171.JPG

THe application of some paint, sanding and good old rub-n-buff

P1230174.JPG

Upper Body Armor

These models where originally sourced from throttlekitty. they requred a bit of modification before they where suitable to print on a 3d printer, as well as needing to be printed in sections then glued together:

20131103_210657.jpg

But they turned out rather well:
20131106_214035.jpg

Still got heaps to go before I finish on the hard armor and then start working on all the soft bits. Im making the backs of of the gauntlets from foam rubber btw.

841268_10152412318253986_1041963116_o.jpg

ESWAT Rifle:

Now I have started on her rifle, so I took the PDO that Toja posted, converted it to 3DS and imported into sketchup so I can manipulate the model. I am going to mill the bulk of it in a CNC machine in styrofoam and then 3D print all the parts that are not practical to print.

This was the render as I converted from the pepakura:
Fullscreen+capture+24102013+122701+AM.bmp.jpg

Because the mill can only cut in 2D i need to remove any overhangs from the model. Its then split in half, each side is carved into styrofoam then the sides glued back together. I will 3D print the barrel and rails as they are small enough.

Fullscreen+capture+25102013+80104+AM.bmp.jpg

Its just a rough cut as I am still waiting on a shipment of finishing bits to be delivered, but I think it should turn out well:

P1230185.JPG

Attachments

• 20131103_210657.jpg
    20131103_210657.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
So I had some success Milling out the rifle, I have gone with a hybrid approach, 3D printing some parts and milling the larger parts:

1457558_10152435621983986_1629372807_n.jpg

I have since primed this in arcylic so I could later just use enamel paint. working with styrofoam has its limitations though, if your not careful and dont prime certain sections properly the enamel will melt the styrofoam

Wow this is looking great as a long time fan of Appleseed and other works by Masamune Shirow as well i can't wait to see this finished keep up the great work

Im a strong believer in sharing prop stuff, so I will upload the model to thingiverse once I finish it (i still have to finish the scope and torch thing)

but its just milled in high density styrofoam, as I have my own CNC I could potentially mill you the parts as they would be cheap to post weighing next to nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I sprayed the rifle last night. I had to give it about 3 coats of arcylic primer to make sure it was absolutely sealed before using enamel or the enamel would melt the styrofoam.

1469818_10152444025468986_1809644607_n.jpg

Last edited:
At this point I need to acknowledge that I have a Sailor Uranus costume, and thinking that the hair was a good match, took this photo on the weekend.

SailorUranusDeunan.jpg

Wow great job on that rifle aprilstorm and that wig looks dead on for Deunan's style.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Are you going to post the files for the gauntlets on thingiverse? They're the best I've seen and I'm not seeing them on your page. Great job on the sword and M5.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back