Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread

Xxblackbird

Sr Member
This thread will likely contain SPOILERS for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor."

I'm surprised there hasn't been much more discussion of the props from the Special yet. So I decided to start a thread on it.
First, there is a thread concerning the War Doctor's sonic here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/war-doctor-sonic-built-using-co-toy-200223/

I loved "the Moment" in its box form. This would be an enormous undertaking with all the moving gears and patterns.

What about the Time Lord stasis device the Zygons are using? It looks like a paperweight to me, or possibly some kind of found object like a door stop or a glass decoration.

The "big red button" on the Moment also looks like a red glass diamond paper weight.

The Time Lord armor looks familiar (and quite fantastic) and so does the design of their guns.

I loved "the Moment" in its box form. This would be an enormous undertaking with all the moving gears and patterns.

While I liked the overall look of the Moment, though I had the impression that the one side with that huge gear (I am not sure, but I think it is the side that stays on top after Hurt places the Moment on the floor) looked not really right to me, like it was made from MDF or something similar floppy instead of real metal... The edges looked a little too rough to be metal as well. No idea if it was meant to be like that or they were in a rush finishing this prop prior to filiming though... Nonetheless, the Moment itself was indeed a good looking prop!

I liked the Time Lord soldier armor a lot, it had that right amount of classy style you'd expect from some "superior / advanced race" to it while looking military at the same time!

The gears seemed to me to have a similar texture to something that was 3D printed with the WSF material from Shapeways then spray painted. I agree it looked kind of rough but I loved the overall design.

I would love to see RelicMaker do a "Big Red Button", like he did for El Corazon from Romancing the Stone.

What about the Tenth Doctor's Zygon detector, that was pretty cool?

That was the 10th Doctor's Timey Whimy, goes "ding" when there's stuff. From the Sally Sparrow episode.

- - - Updated - - -

Amy Pond's Sonic Probe makes an appearance!

My fiancee missed that, but I didn't! Still working on acquiring all the parts to build mine, got everything except the black thing that sits on top of the phone that holds the emitter.

Yeah, I definitely thought paperweight when I saw the stasis device. Haven't found the right one yet (or the correct term for a sphere with flat faces), but this paperweight I found is right as far as shape goes:

$_12.JPG

The different pieces on the war doctor's tardis console seem interesting, one being the info screen which looks like an old doctors office light.

The Zygon detector had a rather large radial copper/magnet thing right on the front. I've pulled those from Hard Drives, Zip drives...things like that.

and I agree, the Moment was kinda cool - I wish we saw more specifics of how it worked..what it did.

I..was surprised to see the War Doctor's sonic did extend a tiny bit.

Last but not least - that paperweight looks pretty cool, I've never seen those. My first thought was an acrylic sphere (Contact Juggling, David Bowie in Labyrinth) with some sides cut. I've never worked with acrylic - is that even possible? ( Dubé Juggling Equipment - Juggling Balls | Juggling Clubs | Diabolos | Unicycles )

Haha true. They just needed something which would look cool for the shot. There were a few other props on the shelf that I've seen somewhere else. I think I saw the magna-clamps from Doomsday.

Also present in the vault: One of the Clockwork Droid Masks and River Song's red shoes.

Let's just assume that they have a time agent from the future who occasionally acquires things for them and drops them off for a price.

...speaking of that, I'd love if we got more information on the Time Agents at some point. Seems like an interesting concept that we only really got Jack Harkness out of. But I digress.

-Nick

I am thinking it would make a cool case for a PC. The top side that Rose used as a seat would be good for the exhaust fans. If the inside was a 12" cube there would be space for an ATX motherboard, PSU and a drive cage.

I took a few snapshots of the episode tonight. They will do until we can get some hi-res images.
I've had some problems with photobucket tonight but they appear to be resolved. I'm going to upload several images of a few props in a few posts.
First, the thing that goes ding:
ThingthatgoesDing01_zpsdd0c40af.png

ThingthatgoesDing03_zps394c3147.png

Time Lord guns:
TimeLordGun01_zpscb0dc02c.jpg

TimeLordGun02_zps9676b266.jpg

TimeLordGun_zps010e9175.jpg

Last edited:
The Zygon / Time lord thing:
The cut portions don't appear to be scoops but are cut flat. Going by John Hurt's hands, it's larger than a baseball. Maybe the size of a softball. And from the way he grabs it near the climax, it looks like he had to get a good grip on it and it had some weight, so I think it's probably glass.
ZygonBall01_zps9f5f7705.jpg

ZygonBall04_zpsd76ca312.png

ZygonBall11_zpse2742698.jpg

ZygonBall10_zps8b2ed084.png

ZygonBall09_zpsba53d0fe.png

ZygonBall06_zpsf9dbd5b4.png

ZygonBall07_zpsd9cc19e7.png

ZygonBall08_zpscc3aaf06.png

ZygonBall02_zps27a60e22.png

Last edited:
And last but certainly not least, the beautifully realized, "Moment."
This box reminds me a lot of the box from a few seasons ago with the blue guys head in it. If we can find the source for those boxes, it would be a good starting place for this.
They have used a wood burner for the Gallifreyan text on the corners, and in some spots it looks like they have cheated and painted or simply drew on some of those details.
There is a side that appears to have some kind of illuminated display, and another side we don't see at all. At least not well enough to replicate it.

Moment01_zpsd66d7b59.jpg

Moment06_zps11777ae1.jpg

Moment07_zpse034f697.jpg

Moment02_zpsdc716375.jpg

Moment03_zps4fdf8f8d.jpg

Moment08_zps5ace7b76.jpg

Moment10_zpse2d1294b.jpg

Moment11_zps1c6869e6.jpg

Moment12_zps0b870fea.jpg

Moment14_zpsdece3116.jpg

Moment13_zps5c318349.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back