Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread

Thanks for that image from the packaging. I can now finish my 3D model of it!

I guess the Doctor Who Experience just opened their Day of the Doctor section and the Moment prop is on display. Hopefully we'll see some good reference photos of it.

Darran, any chance you could scan the outside blue parts of the packaging too, please? I'm pretty sure that the circular patterns on that will match up with the design on The Moment. It might help to get everything lined up, is all. I might be wrong also, just looks that way to me.

Thanks for posting the scan^^^

Sure, no problem :)

WDS4.jpg

WDS5.jpg

The insert was just a fraction too large for my scanner, so I scanned from the top edge and the bottom edge to get everything. I can do the same for the other side if you need it.

Last edited:
This is the wrong kind of 3D (red and blue), but I made this quickly just for fun.

panoraama 3d.jpg

The top right corner looks pretty good, other than that it is very average.

Enjoy!

How cool would it be to make a huge 3D painting prop for conventions? Make a big box that looks like a picture frame, print this on a banner and plaster it inside. People can step into it and have a picture made.
Sure you'd look like Godzilla against the skyline, but still.

Last edited:
Actually if you printed that banner and put it on a curved backing inside the frame, maybe stretching back 3-4 feet if it was full sized, you'd get a somewhat convincing 3D effect from a few feet away.

I am in the comments over there though, as "Chris" :)
Can you ask him if he knows whether the box they dressed up for the Moment is a found item or if they scratchbuilt?
Actually if you printed that banner and put it on a curved backing inside the frame, maybe stretching back 3-4 feet if it was full sized, you'd get a somewhat convincing 3D effect from a few feet away.
That's a great idea and something I just might try this spring.

Can you ask him if he knows whether the box they dressed up for the Moment is a found item or if they scratchbuilt?

I'll ask in the morning as I'm getting into bed right now (on tapatalk/phone at the moment). I feel like the sheer amount of customizing on this prop, its probably all scratch built. Making the box itself would probably be the easiest part of the whole prop, considering all the details.

I'll most likely just have a laser cut acrylic framework inside mine.

So because it's somewhat unclear in the episode, does the moment completely change between its two scenes? Like a totally different prop altogether? Or does the pedestal with the button come out of the top of it? It looks to me like the pedestal is bigger than the box, but I don't remember seeing the bottom of it.

I'll ask in the morning as I'm getting into bed right now (on tapatalk/phone at the moment). I feel like the sheer amount of customizing on this prop, its probably all scratch built. Making the box itself would probably be the easiest part of the whole prop, considering all the details.
Maybe. Actually measuring, cutting and assembling a box that wouldn't fall part when I pick it up would be the most difficult part for me. I'd have much better luck working off a base.
I suspect it's an off the shelf item because of its similarity to the boxes from the Wedding of River Song. There were several of those in that episode. But it's hard to tell one (roughly) 12"x12" box from another, and I'm sure they have to tools to crank them out at practically no cost as opposed to buying one.
I'll most likely just have a laser cut acrylic framework inside mine.

So because it's somewhat unclear in the episode, does the moment completely change between its two scenes? Like a totally different prop altogether? Or does the pedestal with the button come out of the top of it? It looks to me like the pedestal is bigger than the box, but I don't remember seeing the bottom of it.
We don't ever see the base. There are 2 shots from directly overhead, and it looks like the base may be roughly the size of the box, but it's so obscured you can't possibly tell for sure.
The Doctor who Experience just added its Day of the Doctor exhibit. It has the Moment in its box form on display now, but I don't think it has the other version yet. They note there will be new props added soon.

Well hopefully some pictures start showing up soon. A little more of the detail on the screen side would be really helpful.

Also, assuming the prop's total size is 12", the box inside the wood beams would be 9.5".

Holy crap, a 5" figure instead of those crappy 3.5" ones. Getting that for sure. Is it weird that I'm bugged out by having Paul McGann's head as an accessory? He never wore that outfit in Night of the Doctor. It was completely different. The War Doctor took Cass's shoe covers and bullet/sonic holder thing after he regenerated but that's about it. Everything else he wore was completely different to what McGann wore in the NotD minisode. Stoked about it being a 5" figure though!!!!! I guess we could use the spare McGann head for a custom figure which isn't a bad thing.

Now we just need a NotD 8 and a young regenerated Hurt in NotD 8's clothing. They did it backwards lol.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back