Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 26, 2013, 6:52 AM - Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #1

This thread will likely contain SPOILERS for the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor."

I'm surprised there hasn't been much more discussion of the props from the Special yet. So I decided to start a thread on it.
    First, there is a thread concerning the War Doctor's sonic here:
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/war-doctor-...co-toy-200223/

I loved "the Moment" in its box form. This would be an enormous undertaking with all the moving gears and patterns.

What about the Time Lord stasis device the Zygons are using? It looks like a paperweight to me, or possibly some kind of found object like a door stop or a glass decoration.

The "big red button" on the Moment also looks like a red glass diamond paper weight.

The Time Lord armor looks familiar (and quite fantastic) and so does the design of their guns.
  2. RPF Premium Member 13doctorwho's Avatar
    From
    Houston, Texas
    Nov 26, 2013, 7:06 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #2

What about the Tenth Doctor's Zygon detector, that was pretty cool?
    Nov 26, 2013, 7:10 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #3

Amy Pond's Sonic Probe makes an appearance!
    Nov 26, 2013, 7:11 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #4

13doctorwho said: View Post
    Yes, the device that goes DING. I want that too.
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Nov 26, 2013, 7:29 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #5

Xxblackbird said: View Post
    I loved "the Moment" in its box form. This would be an enormous undertaking with all the moving gears and patterns.
    While I liked the overall look of the Moment, though I had the impression that the one side with that huge gear (I am not sure, but I think it is the side that stays on top after Hurt places the Moment on the floor) looked not really right to me, like it was made from MDF or something similar floppy instead of real metal... The edges looked a little too rough to be metal as well. No idea if it was meant to be like that or they were in a rush finishing this prop prior to filiming though... Nonetheless, the Moment itself was indeed a good looking prop!

I liked the Time Lord soldier armor a lot, it had that right amount of classy style you'd expect from some "superior / advanced race" to it while looking military at the same time!
    Nov 26, 2013, 7:59 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #6

The gears seemed to me to have a similar texture to something that was 3D printed with the WSF material from Shapeways then spray painted. I agree it looked kind of rough but I loved the overall design.
    From
    Tulsa, OK
    Nov 26, 2013, 11:05 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #7

I would love to see RelicMaker do a "Big Red Button", like he did for El Corazon from Romancing the Stone.
    Nov 26, 2013, 12:37 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #8

Nov 26, 2013, 2:37 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #9

13doctorwho said: View Post
    That was the 10th Doctor's Timey Whimy, goes "ding" when there's stuff. From the Sally Sparrow episode.

- - - Updated - - -

VortexRunner said: View Post
    My fiancee missed that, but I didn't! Still working on acquiring all the parts to build mine, got everything except the black thing that sits on top of the phone that holds the emitter.
  10. RPF Premium Member Howlrunner's Avatar
    From
    Scotland
    Nov 26, 2013, 3:08 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #10

Yeah, I definitely thought paperweight when I saw the stasis device. Haven't found the right one yet (or the correct term for a sphere with flat faces), but this paperweight I found is right as far as shape goes:

From
    Bryant, Arkansas, United States
    Nov 26, 2013, 3:52 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #11

The different pieces on the war doctor's tardis console seem interesting, one being the info screen which looks like an old doctors office light.
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Nov 26, 2013, 4:25 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #12

The Zygon detector had a rather large radial copper/magnet thing right on the front. I've pulled those from Hard Drives, Zip drives...things like that.

and I agree, the Moment was kinda cool - I wish we saw more specifics of how it worked..what it did.

I..was surprised to see the War Doctor's sonic did extend a tiny bit.

Last but not least - that paperweight looks pretty cool, I've never seen those. My first thought was an acrylic sphere (Contact Juggling, David Bowie in Labyrinth) with some sides cut. I've never worked with acrylic - is that even possible? ( Dubé Juggling Equipment - Juggling Balls | Juggling Clubs | Diabolos | Unicycles )
    Nov 26, 2013, 5:09 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #13

VortexRunner said: View Post
    Yeah. I don't understand how that would have made it the the black vault when it ended up not even existing and on a different planet?!
    Nov 26, 2013, 5:32 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #14

Haha true. They just needed something which would look cool for the shot. There were a few other props on the shelf that I've seen somewhere else. I think I saw the magna-clamps from Doomsday.
  15. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Nov 26, 2013, 5:43 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #15

Also present in the vault: One of the Clockwork Droid Masks and River Song's red shoes.

Let's just assume that they have a time agent from the future who occasionally acquires things for them and drops them off for a price.

...speaking of that, I'd love if we got more information on the Time Agents at some point. Seems like an interesting concept that we only really got Jack Harkness out of. But I digress.

-Nick
    From
    P2X-3YZ
    Nov 26, 2013, 6:42 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #16

I'm in for seeing the Time Lord soldiers' guns.
    From
    Medford MA
    Nov 26, 2013, 9:36 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #17

Xxblackbird said: View Post
    I am thinking it would make a cool case for a PC. The top side that Rose used as a seat would be good for the exhaust fans. If the inside was a 12" cube there would be space for an ATX motherboard, PSU and a drive cage.
    Nov 26, 2013, 10:01 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #18

I took a few snapshots of the episode tonight. They will do until we can get some hi-res images.
    I've had some problems with photobucket tonight but they appear to be resolved. I'm going to upload several images of a few props in a few posts.
    First, the thing that goes ding:

Time Lord guns:

Last edited by Xxblackbird; Nov 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    Nov 26, 2013, 10:39 PM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #19

The Zygon / Time lord thing:
    The cut portions don't appear to be scoops but are cut flat. Going by John Hurt's hands, it's larger than a baseball. Maybe the size of a softball. And from the way he grabs it near the climax, it looks like he had to get a good grip on it and it had some weight, so I think it's probably glass.

Last edited by Xxblackbird; Nov 27, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
    Nov 27, 2013, 12:58 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #20

And last but certainly not least, the beautifully realized, "Moment."
    This box reminds me a lot of the box from a few seasons ago with the blue guys head in it. If we can find the source for those boxes, it would be a good starting place for this.
    They have used a wood burner for the Gallifreyan text on the corners, and in some spots it looks like they have cheated and painted or simply drew on some of those details.
    There is a side that appears to have some kind of illuminated display, and another side we don't see at all. At least not well enough to replicate it.

From
    Orange, CA
    Nov 27, 2013, 2:09 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #21

I'm going to start drawing artwork for the Moment in the next few days. Almost the whole thing is made on a laser cutter/engraver, so I should be able to knock it out in a day or two once the art is done. Loved the idea of the Moment for years, glad to see it looks awesome.
    Nov 27, 2013, 4:56 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #22

I found a very similar paperweight on ebay tonight. It's tinted orange but it's a step in the right direction.

It's listed under "GALLIANO FERRO Murano SOMMERSO Orange Window Facet Decorative Desk Paperweight!"
    From
    Orange, CA
    Nov 27, 2013, 9:14 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #23

So do you think anybody is going to jump on making a poster of Gallifrey Falls? Obviously not accurate size, but if they turn out one the same size as that mondo version of the Van Gogh painting that would be pretty cool.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Nov 27, 2013, 9:42 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #24

I'll bet the BBC shop will release the painting as a poster soon enough.
    From
    Orange, CA
    Nov 27, 2013, 10:04 AM - Re: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread #25

Btw, do we have any idea the size of the moment? I've guessed the wooden beams are about 1" to 1 1/4", leaning towards the upper end. If they're 1", the box itself is 10", 1 1/4" beams make for a 12" box.